School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Few, if any, kids would prefer online over f2f learning. Some kids adapt better. Some professors adapt better or are more experienced with online delivery. Of the five classes my S took for the spring term, two were excellent (one professor teaches courses on Coursera, the other has always taped every lecture for student who either didn’t attend or needed to review). Two other professors adapted well and the last one was passable. My S was also used to take classes virtually, because he had previously taken classes that overlap so he couldn’t physically attend both at the same time. Overall, he was okay with online classes via Zoom but had issues with collaboration with his fellow classmates on projects and homework (which the college encourages). Even though he was generally content with online classes, he’d without doubt choose in-person classes if he had a choice. In-person classes, however, are far from riskless. The worst case scenario is a repeat of what happened back in March. That’s why I prefer his college take the time to come up with a realistic, deliberate but flexible plan that can deal with various scenarios.

University of Minnesota Twin Cities will be teaching on campus in the fall, according to the Star Tribune.

Wow! @roycroftmom – just find another job! Why didn’t I think of that! In place of one problematic semester, I should just go get another job! Terrific, but gee, hope there isn’t too much competition for those non-existent jobs from all the other folks who’ve just been fired (including all the adjuncts and five full-timers from my own program, leaving me with tons more students in my classes). That shouldn’t be a problem at all–wonder why I didn’t think of it.

What do you think will be different after one semester?

Obviously you have a different perspective from many of us who don’t work on campus. What do you think is the best thing to do? Stay online for at least another semester? Everywhere or just in parts of the US?

I’m not trying to pick a fight…just interested in an educator’s perspective. Sorry if you’ve done this already in this thread and I missed it!

Welcome to 2020, @garland, where millions of people will be stuck trying to find another job in trying circumstances. There are many grocery clerks, health care workers, and k12 teachers who will have to decide whether to return to work; for many otherrs, there are no jobs to return to. You know the demands of your workplace and can choose to accept or decline, just like the rest of us.

@garland Weasely?

I meant exactly what I typed.

Yes, discomfort for all as they come to grips with an evolving new normal.

Students and professors will not return to a college experience that resembles their old life, to include academic, social and extracurricular aspects.

Everyone needs to try their best to adapt. It won’t be easy. There will be struggles.

@1NJParent I don’t agree that the worst-case scenario is what happened in March; I think worst-case scenario is they stop in-person classes and events, but let students stay on-campus for the rest of the semester to keep room and board.

@ChemAM I recall you were okay with online classes as long as you can be on campus with your friends and fellow students. Why would that be the worse case scenario for you?

Does anyone for any college have actual move in dates for dorms? Or just the dates that classes start? Wondering when colleges are going to start getting more specific. Did the colleges say when they’ll get back to students about actual arrival dates?

I think schools will likely pivot to all online classes at some point during the semester but will keep students on campus. My DD has been worried about this- it is not worth the room and board cost to be locked down in a dorm doing remote education but the majority of students begged for campuses to reopen in any fashion… I hope everyone is pleased that schools listened to that call and do not regret it. I think families are in for a rude awakening about what life on campus is about to be like.

@1NJParent I did say that; I think it is the worst-case scenario because I think that is the worst-thing that can realistically happen. I think it is extremely unlikely that colleges would send students home again. I think, at least for Amherst College students, the fall is looking very bright, with a relatively positive worst-case scenario.

The educators’ perspective is that they don’t have to return to on campus teaching this fall if they don’t want to. Students don’t go to elite colleges for well known administrators, they go for the faculty. The assumption by some that their only alternative is to quit is ludicrous. If some of the faculty want to be off campus this fall, I think the administration will bend over backwards to accommodate them. Students returning to campus is no guarantee that faculty will be there.

@MBNC1755 I don’t think anybody is expecting anything resembling a normal campus social life this upcoming semester. Also, I think many people on this thread have drastically overestimated how “bad” next semester will be, with one parent on this thread comparing college campuses to a “fortress” and betting that “half of students” wouldn’t make it to Thanksgiving Break because of how “horrifying” campus life would be. Some parents on this thread are making it sound like campuses will be maximum-security prisons.

@austinmshauri I agree with you on that; Amherst College has said that a return to campus in fall would be optional for all faculty, staff, and students.

Of course, the most senior or illustrious faculty will likely have enough power to teach online only, but that is not the majority of faculty at most colleges. Since most upperclassmen at most universities live off campus, I expect they will return to the campus area whenever they desire, regardless of what staff show up.

Not every student, or parent, pays for room and board. My son lived off campus and had no traditional meal plan. We received no refund when learning transitioned online. In fact, I paid his rent yesterday, and a I’ll pay it again in both July and August. I think students living off campus will be much happier than those living on campus this year.

I do find it ironic that some of those unwilling to return to work in the fall themselves somehow assume that k12 teachers and other essential workers should nevertheless continue to work and thus enable their ability to remain home.

@ChemAM I am not 100% doom and gloom but I think families are about to get a reality check. I think freshmen and transfer students will have the hardest time as they are still creating those connections upperclassmen already have with extremely limited social functions. Room and board costs are not a smaller chunk of change to most families and I think there will be some reevaluating what they are paying for. For some schools, they require unlimited meal plans- but dining halls are now drastically changing. Fitness centers are limiting student use. Sport events are likely to happen without fans. I am not sure how Greek life plans to recruit or any club for that matter. If classes are mostly if not completely online are families getting the experience they are paying for?

And before everyone chimes in with ‘so stay home’- not every school is offering online options while keeping scholarships.

UofSC has given out dorm assignments and has sign up for move-in slots.