School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

One of the earliest things I learned as an adjunct is that even in a class of 20 - 30 students (particularly in an unpopular subject), there will be those who think the professor is great and those who think they are terrible, and everything else in between.

Professors who are considered great by their students at HYPSYM might be thought rather less of at Directional State. What the students themselves bring to the classroom has a huge effect on how they ultimately judge the faculty. To some extent it is themselves they are judging, they just are not aware of it.

That is hardly a minor concern, and one that I share. Depending on the size of the class, I would hope to get everyone (or most) on board with whatever the plan is.

Ran into a friend of S19’s yesterday and asked him how it’s going at Indiana. He said great! And he’s so thrilled that all of his fall classes will be offered online so he can just stay on his frat house to take them!

Not all kids want to go to class. At least not all kids at a big U.

I would expect most students would attend in-person classes if allowed. What’s the alternative, being stuck in a dorm room all day long doing online classes? I would give students a little more credit than this. In person classes in the fall will be a luxury so you bet they will attend if given the chance.

Given that so many students at Amherst loathed online classes with a passion this past semester, I have no doubt that students would opt to attend in-person classes, given the option

As a student, how would you handle the situation discussed above about needing to talk/participate/discuss in small groups during an online class?

Seems that could be a problem if one can’t be isolated in their dorm room, or some other study area/room…and not many campuses would seemingly have enough of those types of spaces if half (or whatever %) of classes are online.

Or, like so many of the posters on these forums, parents and students assume that higher rank or admission difficulty necessarily implies better scholars and academics.

Or test them

No test can detect an infection in the first couple of days, even if it were 100% accurate (and no test is).

Or it can be a proxy for a similar level of peers with a similar educational focus. Apart from tutorials and labs, the majority of learning is self-directed anyway. What’s going to be a greater influence on your academic experience is the quality of your fellow classmates. The big issue with online vs f2f classes isn’t whether you attend in person or virtually, it’s whether or not you can collaborate with your fellow students.

Will off campus students need to be tested daily? They will be moving freely outside of the school “bubble” whenever they aren’t in class.

We actually don’t know that. Do you have info on that? It’s one of the questions I’ve been really looking forward to seeing research on. How long before it shows up on a test after you’ve been exposed? Would love to know…I don’t think we know yet.

No school is contemplating and capable of doing that. If there’s an outbreak in the community outside the campus, a school with a significant number of students living off-campus would be in trouble, to say the least.

quote]https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/04/opinion/coronavirus-college-humanities.html?referringSource=articleShare

Bruni again gives us a lot to ponder about the fate of colleges…

[/quote]

One of his better efforts. Maybe, because it’s coming at an opportune time.

I’ve seen a number of articles on this. Here’s one such article from Harvard Medical School:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/if-youve-been-exposed-to-the-coronavirus

Coronavirus: California to allow schools, gyms and bars to reopen

[/quote]

It does not look like restaurants and gyms will be here, where I live, in Northern California, next week. If you read the article in addition to its headline, you discover (my bold):

Before COVID-19, D had had a very good experience at her small LAC, ranked at the bottom of the top 50 in USNWR. With her athletics, she could have gone a bit higher in the rankings to the 30’s, but we felt she might struggle too much at those schools for various reasons. But now with grad school applications looming and having seen the CV’s of people doing the kind of jobs she wants to do, she has become keenly aware that prestige matters very much and her school just doesn’t have enough of it. In fact, 2 alums working in her field actually omitted their undergraduate degree from their CVs when other staff on their imstitutions’ webpages did not.

So, her LAC has good teaching and attentive professors. For example, even before applying to college, she got a reply from an inquiry she sent to her target academic department at her current school and received nothing from the 2 higher-ranked ones. The school was also friendlier when we visited. I am not saying no higher-ranked schools offer a personal touch, but this was our experience. That said, once she graduates, the school name will mean more than the personal touch she enjoyed while there. Take away a lot of the personal touch due to COVID-19 changes, and students like her who are choosing now might make a different choice.

No but they will need to be tested at the start of this. The problem with all of this is that you can test negative and there are so many false negatives out there. Then you can test positive, go hibernate and retest positive again. These to me ,are the challenges to face and why every school will have a “go online” ability to students/teachers. That to me is responsible. If there is a school without this then I wouldn’t send my kids.

Also keep in mind what off campus means. Most universities both large and small the students are just a few blocks away. At the very least in the same county.

I was struck by this, from the Frank Bruni/NYT article linked earlier, something that @ucbalumnus often says:

I agree with @homerdog on the quarantining of roommates. If the confirmed case student is moved to another location to give the roommate some breathing room, perhaps 3 or 4 days with testing along the way. No in person class. No gym. No parties. No labs or libraries. If ok after day four with no symptoms and clean tests. Then modified interactions with testing for another week. But not lock down.