School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

This I agree with. While many students/parents do not gravitate towards a school based on the scholars on staff, many do. Our S for one. When it came down to making his final choice of college to attend he had a list of “scholars” at each school - he knew their bios, what labs they ran, and what classes they taught. He also noted that he had seen several of them give TED Talks on his favorite subjects. Since then he has taken classes with most of the scholars he so admired, works closely with one in a lab, and is advised by another.

CC broad brush characterizations of students/parents are rarely, if ever, correct.

^mine picked depts/faculty, wrote in their “why college xyz?” what they intended to study and with whom, citing published research. (No one advised them to do this. Husband and I actually advised them to tone it down). They had personal calls from faculty mentioned after applications were received.

They completed intended undergrad majors, and then PhDs in the field. They had at least a dozen college friends with similar trajectories.

Believe it or not.

It always saddened me they left academia for more lucrative opportunities. Till this thread. It was the right decision. Even though one was involved in research that might have helped fight this pandemic. That lab moved overseas at least four years ago.

I remember our tour guide specifically stating that Duke weekly flies down a professor/journalist from The NY Times (NY) to teach a popular journalism class in Durham. I don’t know if this person is a “scholar” or not but it sure resonated with my D20.

I don’t know about your family, but our family looked at many factors when choosing a college for D such as academics, strength of major, smallish classes, quality of student body and faculty, COA, campus size and buildings, academic advising, weather, school spirit/D1 sports, research and internship opportunities, flexible curriculum, interdisciplinary programs, endowment, strong alumni network, and on campus recruiting / job offers, and yes name brand/prestige all played a factor in where she applied to college to determine “best fit” for her.

My daughter would 100% attend class if given the opportunity. Even with the online courses she would attend lectures “live” rather than watch the video. And oddly enough, she had one class that was not offered live but all lectures were recorded, and she watched the lectures during the typical class time. Girl likes her schedule!

I’ve been watching my college virtual reunion (was supposed to be on campus this weekend… but…) anyway the college president said she will follow the state guidelines/mandates, but is hopeful that fall will be a mixture of in class and virtual classes.

Moving the goalposts again, I see. That’s an impressive trick you keep pulling. Okay, since you’ve again backtracked from what you last suggested, I will answer your new suggestion. I have no doubt this game will continue forever, though. Anyhoo:

Many of “us” work jobs that can be done remotely. Which makes us very lucky compared to those who can’t.

Teaching is one such job. Stocking grocery store shelves, alas, is not. To the extent that jobs can be remote, that should be an option. I feel very much for those with hands-on jobs, and think everyone should have a livable option. But that some jobs can’t be done remotely doesn’t mean others shouldn’t be.

Some jobs can be done remotely but that doesn’t make it better if they are done remotely. When I was working for the government many of us had the option to work remotely occasionally and some even scheduled it for 1-2 days per week. Their department or section leader may have added them to a conference call or small meeting, but usually didn’t and they had to pick up the info from another person. They also didn’t get the “Can I ask you a question?” as someone came to the department looking for help.

I liked to work in the office so didn’t mind the questions or being sent to a meeting at a moment’s notice, but there is no question that those working from home had a lighter load because they never got those questions or spot assignments. I had one meeting that met every Tuesday morning and I was just there for support and to answer questions if there were (usually weren’t).

If everyone is going to be working from home and having to sign in to meetings, there are going to be fewer meetings and less collaboration. Some might think this is a good thing, others like the meetings and think they are productive.

Apparently college teaching can not be done as well remotely, or so say the tens of thousands of students who have just finished a remote semester. Nor can k12 teaching. And you do not need most grocery clerks, you could obtain food shipped online if you had to do so. You might prefer the convenience, choices and experience of in person shopping better, just like some prefer the same for education.

At least one school said they’d leave the confirmed case in the room and move the roommate. Makes sense as the room is probably contaminated so leave the student there to get well and then clean the whole room before the roommate returns.

I imagine places like Boston University and NYU do. But then, one has to wonder about:

Columbia - a significant portion of students, mainly upper-classmen do live off campus.

Penn - I imagine the situation is like Columbia, but, probably fewer than was the case before they took a wrecking ball to the surrounding neighborhood.

Brown - fewer still.

Barnard - Now there’s a situation. Will they still be able to cross Broadway and take classes at Columbia (and vice-versa?)

Harvard - not that many.

Yale - No one, if you believe the hype.

Yes that is the plan at Utah. But they don’t have communal bathrooms in the dorms which would be a significant barrier to doing it this way round at some other colleges.

More entitled than ironic.

@TomSrOfBoston wrote:

Wait. What? Isn’t it the other way around: We want K-12 teachers to return to work so we don’t have to work from home, too?

Also, is it really necessary to direct personal attacks against posters by way of their professions or job status? @Garland has done nothing to warrant these remarks.

Gee gosh, my husband is a K-12 teacher, with a diminished immune system–in fact, he’s the reason, beyond my apparently advanced age, that I worry about getting Covid. I don’t want him in a classroom either.

And thank you for your kind words, @circuitrider

a society without a grounding in ethics, self-reflection, empathy, and beauty is one that has lost its way

From the article several linked

Maybe you could find an airbnb or hotel nearby if they do decide to start early?

Apologies if this has already been shared in this epic thread, but tOSU announced its fall plans this week. Nothing all that different than what the majority of schools are planning (combo of online/in person, masks, testing, last day in campus day before thanksgiving, etc.)

A few things caught my eye. Incoming freshmen will learn on June 19 what their housing situation will be. They are urging sophomores to apply for a waiver to live off campus. Sophomores have been warned that their dorm selection and even rommate(s) may change. Because thinning populations in the dorms is the goal, I suspect way more freshmen will be in doubles than triples or quads.

They are having a two week, scheduled move-in period. I think it used to be just a few days.

Food service will be a combo of dine-in and app-facilitated boxed meals. OSU has a ton of food service locations, including many grab-and-go places. Sounds like students will be scheduled into time slots for anything dine-in.

The fall athletes are all back on campus and they are using these students and related staff to test out their anti-spread procedures. I don’t think it is possible for some of those football players to ever be socially distant as they are just enormous human beings…but an interesting and comforting notion that they will be doing a dry-run this summer.

tOSU hedged against loss of student enrollment very early and is currently over-deposited by about 1500 freshmen. Perhaps many of those are dual-deposited and their alternative school is also not 100% online, so many will choose the other option. Like other major universities, tOSU expects a loss of many international students (already apparent in their deposits). It cannot be fun being in leadership of a school that big not knowing how many freshmen will actually show up.

All-in-all, my s20 is relieved, but I spend a lot of time talking to him about how the virus situation will result in his experience being sub-optimal. His older brother (an tOSU alum) is hyper-focused on the football situation, but my s20 seems not all that bothered by the loss of that this Fall. He and his tOSU bound friends have decided to not enter any lottery for tickets because it would be too weird to be there, six feet apart. They’ll wait until the 2021. Hopefully.

The the food service at tOSU not all you can eat? Seems like schools on that system will have an easier time selling this new idea. For schools where you swipe and then eat all you want, to go is going to be a harder sell.

The Ohio State University has a mix of dining locations that meal plan meal credits can be used at, some of which are all-you-can-eat and some of which are not. Many other colleges have similar arrangements. Obviously, there could be changes this coming year.