School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

The problem isn’t the approach of living through things, but the idea that we don’t even want to bother fighting against them. Don’t bother wearing masks, don’t bother social distancing, don’t bother wearing seat belts or having air bags or drunk driving campaigns (because hey, we all learn to live with the car accident fatalities, don’t we?) We’re being asked to fight this, but the resistance is phenomenal.

Awesome. I must of read it incorrectly then. Glad your happy with the plan.

Well there will be some unhappy campers in Chicago https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/07/17/cps-students-will-learn-under-hybrid-model-of-at-home-and-in-person-under-mayors-plan/

Looks like Junior and Seniors are study at home. Going have to consul my friends daughter who’s a Senior.

Learning to live with it means exactly what you’d expect. Adapt. Persevere. It’s what organisms do, and have done, since the beginning of time as we know it.

Being back in the office for a month has completely changed my outlook.

Students can either adapt to whatever educational model they’re presented with, or they can cease being a student.

Parents are either willing to pay for an educational model, or they’re not.

You can eat the food your meal plan provides, or not(I don’t recommend the “not” here).

Anyone has the right to remain at home if they believe it is the course of action necessary to maintain their physical and mental health.

What people shouldn’t do is judge others that find a way to go about their daily lives safely.

I have no problem with people taking issue with those that don’t wear masks for philosophical reasons, or choose to make foolish decisions that may impact the health of others.

Emory changing course and not bringing most students back to campus. As of now, only first year students, transfer students and kids on scholarships will come back (before, the plan was all students were returning).

Re: school openings generally, I am listening to Michael Osterholm’s most recent podcast, which is all about school openings. He makes some very important points, and from a very educated perspective. He believes we should have as a goal schools opening, but we also must weigh student safety, teacher safety and then community safety. He says we must not say that opening the schools will be completely safe because it will not be. He also says that it does not matter what the percentage of sick/dead kids is – whether it is 1% or whatever, one kid in a school will be enough to drive policy as that’s what’s happened historically.

I’m only about half an hour into it; for anyone interested in the issue I highly recommend listening.

Bummer for the juniors and seniors.

This makes it sound like there is not real-time classes for two learn-at-home days. What about the juniors and seniors who will be home everyday?

Nothing about kids wearing masks anywhere (at least in this article)…if so, seems strange.

@cinnamon1212 were all students invited back to campus at Emory before this change?

Yes

Washing your hands with soap doesn’t kill the virus, it just washes it down the drain.

Parents and students at my employer still believe that they will be having in-person classes, but the faculty has overwhelmingly chosen to teach online by today’s course delivery request deadline and the course postings have yet to be changed. I don’t think we should believe any institution that still is claiming that the majority of its instruction for fall 2020 will be in-person/on-campus.

The regular college residential experience for fall 2020 is a non-option, period.

A tale of two cities:

S24 - high school (Los Angeles) which was suppose to be in-person is now pushed back to 100% virtual instruction, indefinitely;

D20 - college (Durham) full speed ahead for on campus residential living and mostly online instruction but with some small in-person classes, use of libraries, etc. Move-in to dorms August 9th.

What a roller-coaster we have all been on and I feel the “ride” has just gotten started…

Dr. Osterholm is impressive. He’s often on Meet the Press. Is he saying that student safety is the most important, then teacher safety, and then last community safety in the decision to open schools?

Has this been posted here already?

“Earlier this month, the University of Texas at Austin laid out a list of scenarios that could trigger a midsemester closure. Prominent on the list: a student’s death.”

"While a student death would trigger school closure at UT-Austin, no mention was made of what would happen if a staff or faculty member died from the coronavirus.

A week after publishing its reopening plans, a custodial service worker tested positive and died. Interim president Jay Hartzell said in a letter to the UT community that it was the university’s first death related to COVID-19."

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/17/ut-austin-reopening-closure-fall-death/?fbclid=IwAR2L0H5T_cOzx_p_9A94xCTz72TW-a9SBWYSs-RIpIl0Ykk_gBgVvVfKKFs

Yes, he says the first priority is the safety of students, and the close second priority is the safety of the teachers, bus drivers, custodians, cafeteria workers etc, and then the next priority, in order, is community safety.

“Lesson 1: Emulate the Asian and European countries which have driven the incidence down to a low level.”

I saw this discussed and basically Americans do not respect authority like Asians and Europeans do, even in a global pandemic like this. I agree with emulating, but if it means showing respect for authority figures, that’s not going to happens, just something that leaders have to take into account.

Hyper-partisanship manifests itself in distrust of government.

@TomSrOfBoston Everything I’ve seen and read indicates that soap and agitation breaks down the virus.

That’s true, @homerdog. They even detailed when you can remove your mask in the dorm:

1. In your room (no visitors allowed).
  2. In the hall bathroom, but only when in the shower or actively brushing your teeth/washing your face.

According to D19, the W&M student assembly is concerned that students will not take the rules seriously enough, and is proposing harsh consequences for infractions. They want infractions to fall under the student Code of Conduct as endangering another person’s health or safety.

As I have said, I agree with W&M’s restrictions as a method to keep viral transmission low. However, it is reasonable for D19 to decide that she will be able to lead a more varied and happy life at home. She is not fragile or dependent. She just doesn’t want to live, for lack of a better analogy, like a monk with a six-feet-of-solitude vow.

If it were up me, I would get the $1, 15 minute paper strip tests and have all students, professors and staff take them every morning. Positives quarantine. For the fall semester, this would cost roughly $550,000. But, aside from those with high risk factors, people could participate in campus life in-person. Mask rules could still apply in class on the off chance that someone transmits before testing positive. Transmission would be kept to a bare minimum (R value less than 1). Maybe that will be possible in the spring.

Not a major football conference but the CAA (JMU, Albany, Villanova, New Hampshire, Towson, Maine, Elon, Richmond, Delaware, William & Mary, Stony Brook, and Rhode Island) have suspended Fall Sports.
JMU and Elon have announced plans to try and play a football season against non-conference opponents.

Well, as long as the safety of the staff is a close second, if that is taken seriously, it will in turn protect the community.