School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

I think the board will have their meeting in person but we can watch it online.

Haverford is being honest. Good for them.

I would have my high schooler have a study mate in the house. Probably dining room, 6 ft apart, wearing masks.

At D19’s school there are no family units unless you are living in a suite, which is rare (and it’s unlikely that you would be in the same classes as your suite mates). Students can only gather outside, six feet apart.

I understand the rule because if you let kids from 3 different dorms study together in the library and one is a superspreader, now you have 3 potentially affected dorms. If the kids are all from the same dorm, you are still allowing a situation that could fuel an outbreak.

Has any school said that they will be planning outdoor mixers, lawn games, movies, bbq’s, frisbee or anything like that for residence halls? Will students be allowed to organize those things?

UMich is a great school. Are CC parents not allowed to brag about their kid’s school’s? Heck, if that were the rule here, then this website might not even exist. :lol:

I brag all the time about UMich. I didn’t go there, but I talk to my kid in detail about what transpires with professors, advisors, administration, housing, registration, intramural sports, recreational facilities, etc.

About the only thing I don’t like about UMich is that they wouldn’t allow me to use chalk in their powerlifting area of the IM building. :grimace:

My kid will be going back to A2, but all her classes are now remote, except one lab. Bummer.

We don’t have basements here in SoCal:) and lots of people have tiny living spaces, not to mention shared bedrooms, etc. But what we do have is really great weather and it’s generally comfortable to be outside all year long. My D limits her contact to a very small bubble right now of 2- 3 friends socially distanced, almost exclusively outside and that same bubble will continue, again, outside. We get wifi in our backyard, fortunately but they also sit in driveways, on curbs, parks as well. As for being indoors, I’d have them be in one of rooms where they can socially distance at least 4’ apart and open the french doors/windows. To study with classmates pre-covid, she almost always did Facetime instead of in person (she was never home until after dinner with sports, etc. and studies at night so she just preferred to hunker down) and that just continued during the pandemic. While wifi is available in some public spaces here, I hope the town expands it to some parks.

My son and most of his local friends that are starting at UMD have decided to do online classes from home this fsll. I fully expect many of them to get together during the coming semester to study and to just hang out. They are getting together at times now to socialize. They are not wearing masks or social distancing. In the beginning they were mostly isolating themselves. As time has gone on they are hanging out more. I’m glad they have a tight knit group. Hopefully this will make their first semester experience more bearable.

My other son is starting high school this fall. He has been more limited by his friends but has lately been getting more interaction. I don’t see them getting together to study but will be happy to see them getting together to socialize. They all need the interaction. Hopefully his virtual learning is world’s better than it was last spring.

Exactly. I feel like my kids want desperately to be with their friends not at home. Even if it is to do remote learning. The problem is taking online classes, takeaway sandwiches, no athletics, no visitors and swabs twice a week for 70,000 is a tough pill to swallow for parents. The US Higher Ed business model is not going to survive.

Amherst which has a more conservative plan is saying that they will be planning outdoor social activities ie; movies, some types of athletic practices for club sports and varsity teams, first year dorm activities outside etc. Plans still be developed on this. Seems like students can request outdoor space/tents for small groups of 10.

I don’t think the full pre-Covid college experience will return until fall 2022, with study abroad resuming in spring 2023. For those colleges still in existence by then , of course.

Totally agree with this.

Based on our experience last spring with high school online learning, I had never before seen the level cooperation between students even with it all being electronic. Unfortunately, all this working together was aimed at cheating

Aren’t most schools going to mandatory pass/fail in recognition of the widespread cheating? The online grades are utterly unreliable.

SCAD has reversed and g

Our school district in MD has announced they will return to traditional grading for all students, either 100% virtual or hybrid.

Could be. Our local high school gave grades last spring. As you say, the grades were totally unreliable. Most students learned close to nothing. There is a gap for sure.

Sorry if it’s already been posted (I’m not following the thread), but Ithaca College won’t allow students from states on travel advisory list come to campus this fall.

Students who have not stayed in New York State for the summer and have a permanent address in a state on the mandatory quarantine list will need to take classes remotely until their state is removed from the list.

States listed on the travel advisory as of Friday, July 17 are listed below:

Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Florida
Georgia
Iowa
Idaho
Kansas
Louisiana
Minnesota
Mississippi
New Mexico
North Carolina
Nevada
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Wisconsin

I also agree with this, unless there are some gamechanging breakthroughs, which, while we can’t count on right now, are in the realm of possibility.

Things like cheap, rapid, daily tests, preventatives, and of course, the vaccine.

Does Ithaca college have many out of state students?

Local HS here said everything will be graded this upcoming term. No more p/f.

D’s HS (I’m still plugged in because lots of friends still have younger children there) never went to pass/fail last spring and stuck with grades.

Niece’s HS gave students the option of grades or P/F.

I dont think there was any consistency with grading policies across HS. Just like at the college level.

While 6 feet AND a mask is the gold standard, I thought for outdoors either/or of those was considered pretty safe. With all of the protests not spurring outbreaks, that would seem to be the case. I was in a protest with about 90%-95% mask compliance (almost 100% wore one, but there were some “undernosers” on that hot day who I don’t count), and there was not SD although I think a pretty decent attempt to stay at least a couple of feet apart, and there was no spread despite lots of chanting, singing, yelling (at least no spread detectable from the data). So if kids can be outside with masks and perhaps 3 feet apart, I think a lot of good times or studying together in tents can happen. I also think if schools set up chairs in circles >=6 feet apart (hmmm, maybe they need to secure them or have markings where they should be placed), and kids can sit there without masks (I do this with my friends and feel like I’m following the law and recommendations and feel safe), that is also fun (although right now, to be safest, I do think most of the schools are saying to wear masks in all public spaces, so that may not happen until a later phase). Although I guess I am mostly picturing this working in states that have the virus fairly under control. I think kids will figure out how to best connect on their campuses, and are likely to get LOTS of fresh air!

It is true that with online classes taking up many hours of the week, kids will be alone during those hours (even if they are staying at home or living in a group house rented by a few friends). I mean, unless your roommate is in the same class as you, you will not want to be sitting with others when you are doing an online class, no matter what your living situation is. By the way, I presume this is a major reason why many colleges felt they needed singles for kids–not necessarily for health reasons but so kids could have a quiet space to take classes). But if those online classes contain some interactive/“live” portions, they won’t be fully lonely hours. But being on campus won’t make those class hours more or less “alone”, I think.

I know that study groups are all the rage now, but back in the day, I think I did most of my studying in a carrel in the library (alone). I still had TONS of time to socialize afterwards. I really think these kids won’t be too lonely. I mean, how much can you socialize when you have a ton of reading to do or papers to write? Are those study hours really the social part of college anyway?

I also believe that the schools are smartly putting out the most stringent requirements, because they may be needed. But if, after 2 weeks of testing twice a week, they have weeded out all positives and can get a virus-free campus population, at least some of the schools are hinting that restrictions will then loosen. So having confidence in a school’s testing plan seems paramount to hoping for a little more in-person community experience. I do believe that the schools’ first year experience offices and Deans of Student Life, etc, are probably working their tails off to come up with fun things for the students (such as the previously mentioned movie nights etc at Amherst). I sure hope it works out on campuses this fall, for everyone’s sake!!