School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Just FYI, I took a quick look at Galloway’s spreadsheet and found a mistake. W&M’s Student Life grade on Niche is an A, but Galloway has it listed as a C.

I think Purdue will scale back acceptances next year. They did that after my D’s year which had a much higher yield than anticipated.

I think for the class of 2021 those who ED and are full pay will be at a bigger advantage. After this year, the colleges will need money and students who want to commit to fall 2021.

the more interesting shift will be in graduate school. This is where many colleges get international full pay $. Many schools this year are hurting from that income even more than undergrad I am sure. But the College class of 2020/2021 are having/will have a hard time finding jobs and even those who graduated earlier are now looking to bide time going to grad school. So competition for good grad schools will get fierce.
this is just my thoughts.

I don’t believe there is one perfect school for a student, and I think a student can fit in very well at multiple schools.

You and I have different opinions on what granting unlimited gap years demonstrates in terms of the well-being and best interests of students both admitted and prospective. No need to rehash the argument…you have your views and I have mine. Those that limit gap years have more of my family’s philosophy at heart. Those that don’t have yours. The good thing is there seems to be schools at either end of that spectrum, so a prospective student can apply to those schools which fall in line more with his or her philosophy, whatever that may be.

Graduate school applications for business are way down. The pandemic, the depression, and online teaching make students unwilling to assume tens of thousands more in student debt.

Oh, of course it’s ok that we view gap years differently, @JanieWalker. But I’m just curious, why does it make you think poorly of schools that give their students choice to attend school (in whatever way the college needs to provide it this year whether that’s fully online or on-campus with restrictions) or to choose to opt-out for a year without penalties? I mean, of course that’s potentially a little disappointing to rising seniors (who the school is not yet beholden to as they are not their students), but if you were a current student at a school that gave you the freedom to choose what’s best for you, why is that a bad thing? Would you want your school to have penalties?

By the way, we totally agree in the belief that students can fit in very well at multiple schools! And there will indeed be loads of schools for prospective students to successfully apply to, next year and every year. I have my fingers crossed for all of the applicants, always!

Oopsy, @ post #11210 - Meant Galloway, not Gordon.

One of the problems with too many gap year-takers, @EmptyNestSoon2, is that such students are overwhelmingly affluent and white. It skews the class demographics which some ( not all ) schools work very hard to maintain.

Never wrote that I think “poorly” of schools that allow unlimited gap years. Also, stop implying (or outright stating, like you did earlier in this thread) that the only reason I don’t agree with unlimited gap years is because I have a rising senior. Those kinds of statements make it seem like you don’t really think it’s okay for someone to have an opinion that is different from yours.

You’ll have to keep being curious as to why our family doesn’t think unlimited gap years is in the best interest of a student body or the college as a whole (as opposed to an individual student’s desires). Pages and pages back I opted out of an ongoing argument that wasn’t going to go anywhere with you, and I am opting out of that again now (and once again making use of the “ignore” feature).

ok fine deleted

Nvm

@homerdog, you rule! OMG, I was SO ready to bring out the popcorn popper!

@JanieWalker, I apologize, I have clearly offended you. I admit I enjoy hearing different perspectives and debating, and I rarely take offense but genuinely like the back-and-forth (thus part of why I enjoy a forum like this in addition to information-seeking and supporting). I regret pushing hard on this conversation; I honestly couldn’t see a benefit to the student body for limiting gap years and was curious if I was missing something. I was happy to note @roycroftmom’s answer above, because it is a really good point in my book and opened my view on this. I really learn from debate and find it instructive. Totally fine with me that you are opting for ignore but please know I didn’t mean to upset you in anyway.

And shoot!! ;-). I never got to see homer dog’s response, but I imagine it was a clever/funny teasing of me for pursuing this line of inquiry too far. ;-). Love to all!!

^P.M. me.

We don’t know enrollment numbers yet, but from what I have heard from friends and read online state schools saw a big increase with instate but a lower yield with out of state. The total enrolled is about the same, but the tuition revenue took a hit. Private schools are a bit murky right now. It looked like most privates went to the wait list and transfers early and often.

If that’s true, and it seems plausible to me, mid-tier privates are in a world of hurt, especially those who enroll a lot of students from further away than, maybe, 150 miles. If you live in Florida are you really under these circumstances going to send your kid to one of those many fine little Pennsylvania schools?

I wonder how it is affecting applications for STEM. Those grad programs tend to be fully funded and if the employment markets are depressed I would imagine that many more students may consider continuing their educations a better option. With it being more difficult for international students to attend, it could be a better application cycle for many domestic applicants.

I think most mid-tier privates are or will be in a world of hurt. Galloway’s article posted yesterday did a great job discussing the financial problems most schools face. https://www.businessinsider.com/scott-galloway-colleges-must-cut-costs-to-survive-covid-2020-7

The other group that I worry about are small regional public schools.

@gwnorth – We have been discussing this in my household. I cannot decide (and have no way of knowing) which way it will fall out. Some schools extended the term for current PhD students who could not complete their studies this spring. Will the same thing happen again this coming year if studies are disrupted? If so, will the PhD pipeline be clogged by currently enrolled students?

Also, if U/G enrollment is down, will universities need as many Teaching Assts? I am unclear about the source of funding for PhD STEM programs. NSA? NIH? Other?

The Galloway spreadsheet is not purely driven by endowment per student. My student is at Hope College, which has one of the lower endowments per student (74K). Admittedly it’s on the “Struggle” list, but LAC’s with much higher endowments per student are on the Perish list, including Macalester (350K), Mt Holyoke (354K ), Oberlin (340K ), Kenyon (240K ), and St. Olaf (177K).

I’m guessing that what keeps Hope out of the Perish category is lower tuition (34K) and low reliance on internationals (2% vs 13% at many of the others). Look at some of the HBCU’s such as Morehouse (67K) and Spelman (183K). These schools all have lower tuition and low reliance on international students. Howard University has an endowment per student of 83K but is categorized as Thrive. Howard also has lower tuition (27K) and few international students.