School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

This ^^^^. I think the way schools deal with this, this year will be telling. I think it will have an impact on who applies /or doesn’t next year.

Get ready for the lawyers when kids don’t follow the rules and get expelled.

But some residential colleges have no off campus housing so finding space for 50 extra kids might be a problem, especially if there’s no study abroad and those kids are there too. And, yes, if 50 kids in each grade defer then there’s too many kids already starting next fall. I was also told that it’s not just housing but dining and class size that could be a problem.

public K-12 education in the near future is really going to push the have and have nots. Many teachers who were not teaching for the small the sum of money they were getting, but because they love teaching, or have kids themselves are going to be part of pods of parents creating home school groups. Maybe they will even get paid from these wealthier parents. There is so much on a FB group I am part of of parents creating groups of 4/5 kids together.

Our local JCC for working parents are going to have child care until 5th grade that amounts to helping the kids with virtual school in the AM, and then afterschool programs. (for a fee of course).

I can see this happening across the country for all the upper middle class families. Who loses out. those kids who parents have to work, cannot supervise virtual school, etc. As a school principal and teacher you hope that you can find these kids and provide them with internet and that they show up to virtual school. Many wont. I feel so sad for those families. The dropout rates for HS will also be through the roof for certain neighborhoods. Bored teens lead to trouble and cycles of poverty… sigh…

Once this is over, I wonder how many of these new small groups will actually go back to school? K-12 education for those on the higher end of the income brackets will be changing. Also the private schools around here are advertising, “we will be in person”. We have the capacity to follow guidelines.

Damn pandemic.

@silverpurple

I read through it quickly - it looks like on page 30 it talks about the medically acceptable reasons a family can choose to keep a child home for all remote learning, and that Special Ed students could also choose this route while getting district instruction. I’m not sure what to make of that. Do you think it means anyone can opt out and get district instruction, or is there another section I missed? (It’s a really long document!)

Apologies if this has already been shared, but this analysis seems to lead to the same conclusion for which I have received considerable pushback here a month and a half ago:

https://www.profgalloway.com/uss-university

"Think about this. Next month, as currently envisioned, 2,800+ cruise ships retrofitted with white boards and a younger cohort will set sail in the midst of a raging pandemic. The density and socialization on these cruise ships could render college towns across America the next virus hot spots.

Why are administrators putting the lives of faculty, staff, students, and our broader populace at risk?

The ugly truth is many college presidents believe they have no choice. College is an expensive operation with a relatively inflexible cost structure. […]

That gruesome calculus has resulted in a tsunami of denial.

Universities owning up to the truth have one thing in common: they can afford to."

@silverpurple

I read through it quickly - it looks like on page 30 it talks about the medically acceptable reasons a family can choose to keep a child home for all remote learning, and that Special Ed students could also choose this route while getting district instruction. I’m not sure what to make of that. Do you think it means anyone can opt out and get district instruction, or is there another section I missed? (It’s a really long document!

I think this got covered under the rubric of “Parents Are Going To Defend Whatever Plan Most Closely Matches Their Kid’s School”

We all have a front row seat to see how this goes. We all only have a month to wait. Will places like Purdue and Notre Dame and Duke take quick care of any positives and manage to have some in person classes? Will large universities be able to control their off campus students? Will kids really struggle in their quarantines? Will schools that adopted plans with fewer kids on campus and a lot of testing make it work or will they fall victim to the randomness of it all and some will still have large outbreaks and not enough space to put kids in isolation? And the two big questions - will all classes go remote at all schools? And will campuses close and send kids home again?

A lot of the college results depend on the disease transmission in the rest of society. It’s difficult for college administrators (or anyone) to know what the country will be like two months from now.

Heh.

I think you will find my position here has been consistently sober going as far back as March and April (posts #37 and #580):

Not really envying the front row seats for this show. Would much rather watch from the balcony…

These are the questions of the day. Any handicaps anyone? DS20 had his selected school go 97% remote with first year students still on campus. His second choice went all remote and no one on campus a while ago. We’re getting ready to file the gap year request tomorrow. We think everyone will be sent home before Halloween. In our case that would trigger the 14 day quarantine.

Yes, the way i read p30 and 31 is that the “medically vulnerable” or those who live with “medically vulnerable” may need to be accomodated remotely. Also see on the bottom of p31, it says, “Finally, if the parents/guardians choose not to send their child back to school, schools will need to provide instruction remotely. Please see the section on Special Education for more details.”

What do you make of that? Seems i dont have to go through the hurdles of substantiating my child’s asthma.

http://www.nysed.gov/common/nysed/files/programs/reopening-schools/nys-p12-school-reopening-guidance.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0aLRNHo_8MQFR27q2xTiYgLEhLHalmbAA5_fOa-dR2y7UZ_Cj_Q5RCsSQ

nvm

@TheVulcan wrote:

Let’s not forget that Scott Galloway has been making the same argument essentially since May:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/scott-galloway-future-of-college.html

Long story/short: At HYPMS, online courses will be here to stay.

Yes, I can see how that wasn’t particularly clear, no, there is no double committing, we are committed to the first choice school but we still get email from others. With all the ongoing regulatory instability, interstate travel problems and people deciding not to attend, we have every reason to think that if we bailed out of our out of state first choice school and made some calls to our second choice in state school we would not have much problem getting in especially since DS was already accepted and we’re full pay. But we don’t really want either at this point although we are considering several local options that were not originally on our top 10 list. That said, we’re filing for the gap year tomorrow.

@silverpurple

Sounds like you will be ok - your child’s asthma would make him “medically vulnerable” I would think. You could also probably get some documentation from his doctor if you think that all the cleaning chemicals being used could exacerbate it and therefore cause more issues.

Do you think that students who are not medically vulnerable (or living with those who are) or special ed could be able to opt to stay home if the families are not comfortable with a return?

I would prefer the hybrid model to the full return, personally.

That is not what he is writing if you look into it more carefully.

@TheVulcan wrote:

You’re right. It gets even better:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/scott-galloway-future-of-college.html

What’s going to be funny or sad is 20 years from now this hybrid will be normal. Maybe sooner. Your grandkids (he said grandkids ?), will be asking about the time people went “away” to college…asks Elroy Jetson. ?.