School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Maybe this works with remote learning and a lot of students off campus. Maybe it works at a large university with ample off campus housing. But for a lot of LAC’s, the housing aspect gets complicated when enrollment jumps. One of my kids was Pomona Class of 2019. The Class of 2018 was over-enrolled due to a jump in yield. They were aiming for 400 and got 450 acceptances. It caused a big stress on their entire housing system that continued until the Class of 2018 graduated. And that was when you could count on a certain percent of students to be studying abroad. A couple years later Scripps College had a class that was over-enrolled (Class of 2021) and they had to house 38 students in graduate housing meant for the Claremont Graduate University. No one was happy about that.

Western Governors is indeed well established and accredited, etc, but my husband chose them for his masters and was pretty disappointed in the course methods and delivery. You learn the info on your own and then just take a test- pass the test, pass the class. The end. Also, no grades at all. Their model will never be able to replace actual instruction imo.

So I am thinking as someone said the less desirable lacs. Ones in financial trouble now. Either got to think differently or close. Many are cutting majors and attempting new ones to see what sticks. Many Lacs now kids do go abroad their Junior year, not just a semester. Maybe this will become more common. Maybe internships or coops will become more normal. Schools like
Kettering for a engineering (Yes, I am aware it’s not a Lac ?) have like one semester on campus and one off campus working at a company. So shifting the amount of kids on campus at any one time. Semester on, semester off campus…hmmm. Kinda interesting?

I am just brain storming before my drive back to Chicago from Detroit. Give me something to think about… Lol…

Vassar has a very strict plan in place for student drop-off.

A phased drop-off and move-in plan will be used in order to minimize campus density at any one time. Specific drop-off/move-in dates will be available in late July. While we understand that this is an important milestone in every family and student’s educational journey, we will sadly not be able to allow parents and other visitors to go inside students’ houses to assist with move-in. Instead, students must be dropped off outside their houses and the parent/visitor must then exit campus.

I think a lot of schools are doing this. I know Bowdoin is. Only one parent even allowed on campus and they aren’t allowed in the dorms. Kids line up in their cars and, as they exit, are brought right to the testing center. RAs help them move in.

More details are given in the FAQ section including the process and dates:
https://coronavirus.caltech.edu/faq/fall2020

A couple interesting takeaways:

1. In addition to housing all returning students in singles, about 1/3 of all dorms by my estimate are reserved for quarantine/isolation.

2. The CoA for student attending remotely is calculated based on full R&B cost, which puts Caltech among the most generous for students on FA.

I wish that collegs would do a mandatory quarantine to protect MA residents. With over 100 colleges in MA, and a state that was VERY hard hit, I’d love to see some respect for the people who live in NE who have already battled Covid once. The colleges bring in lots of $. But health is more important. The Governor locked the state down for a long time ( hit economy hard but rates are much lower). So, why aren’t people working to get colleges to test kids BEFORE they leave their high risk states? They could mandate that they have a test within 100 hours or something then take another one when they arrive.

(From Google: There are 102 colleges and universities in Massachusetts enrolling 343276 full time students)

I predict a huge increase in Sept across the US. Not from young kids going back to school in their neighborhoods but from college kids flying across country and driving across state lines so they can SIP and still attend online classes. And there are many others coming from other countries as well. Some college towns with huge student populations could be very hard hit.

It’s a great idea, but, unfortunately, in many states one still can’t get a test if they don’t have symptoms and it can take up to 7 days to get results for those who are eligible.

Grinnell is now not inviting (almost any) students back for its first fall term. https://www.grinnell.edu/messages/important-changes-to-fall-plans

Grad students: I don’t know about Caltech, but at MIT it is not the case that it’s a free for all, @roycroftmom . My grad student son had to move to an off-campus apartment because they changed all housing to singles etc, and he has specific assigned hours he’s allowed in lab, and he is tested frequently.

MA teachers: the union plan was designed to stop the anti-science dept of ed plan, which introduced shortcuts to the CDC recommendations. The union phases are necessary because districts have so far refused to fix HVAC etc. And, learning certainly does happen during the small meetings with students phase. I am disappointed with your uncharitable descriptions, @Empireapple

That’s a bummer.

At D’s college, up to two parents are allowed to move their student into the dorm (don’t think they will have anyone else helping?). Once the parents leave they cannot come back and the student is quarantined (with very limited outdoor access) for up to 48 hours until they get their test results back from a sample taken earlier in the day. If they test positive, they will be moved to a separate CV-19 dorm to recover for 14 days. If negative, they can resume their “normal” day to day activities, orientation, etc. until classes start. All of the dorms are singles, and in her building somewhere between 75 - 100 students total with about 20-25 students per floor. Interestingly, it seems that they have separated gender by floor which I don’t think they did in the past?

The schools that aren’t letting parents in the dorms are just trying to limit the number of people into their testing “system”. Don’t want anyone entering a dorm who hasn’t been tested in the last 24 hours. If you let both parents in, that’s tripling the number of possible cases walking around a dorm on move in day. I think it’s a pretty reasonable request.

The HVAC issue is a big one. A school district (such as mine) with many school buildings of all different ages has a massive task to check all the systems. It’s hard enough to maintain the systems, and now with the circulation of air concerns during this pandemic, I can’t believe the necessary work can be done in time for schools reopening. Then again, I don’t think the schools in my district will be reopening for f2f instruction. The decision will be made next week.

More schools not having students on campus.

Morehouse College, Spelman College and Clark Atlanta University students will not return to campus when classes start this fall.

The Atlanta historically Black colleges and universities made the announcement Monday that they will continue remote learning for the semester.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/morehouse-college-moves-all-virtual-classes-fall-semester/FBYQNCTTDRF6BOW72M5LDU6KY4/

"Iowa and the country were in a much different place when we first began rolling out our plans for the fall and when we invited many of you to campus only a month ago. ... Current trends in infection rates across the country, especially here in Iowa which now has the second highest infection rate per capita in the Midwest, are deeply concerning."

Iowa, of all places.

@CTTC Agreed, HVAC systems are in high demand. Also, it’s not that easy to get these systems in place before school begins. Took our orthodontist more than 3 months. Can only imagine getting one in for a school system.

@fretfulmother my MA union phased descriptions were taken directly from the WGBH news article from last Thursday.

I am disappointed in any teacher’s union that would suggest delaying instruction to students who desperately need to start school on time every year, but especially this year after a dismal educational experience March - June.

Yes sir @Empireapple we view March-June 2020 as an unmitigated disaster. We are currently in conversation with the principal of our local high school trying to determine what steps, if any, are being taken to prevent a repeat this fall. Otherwise we may decide to home school.

@user4321 yes, it seems home schooling might just be the solution for many. It is frightening to think of the outcomes of so much time lost from real and meaningful learning. Good luck to you. I know many who have had great success with home schooling.

Some one at work this morning asked why education wasn’t considered an essential service. IMO, it’s a ton more essential than the liquor stores that stayed open this whole time.