School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

^^Didn’t many think the areas of the country they’re in were in better shape not so long ago? What happened?

Was that at me?

Colgate will be doing the same.

We have failure at every level of government as well as in educational system. Somehow people thought that we can wave a magic wand and virus will be gone. Virus does not discriminate. We are a democracy and not a communist regime that can force people to stay home. Federal level message were not dire and then all kind of parties and social demonstrations. Such a waste of time, not to think through.

@MarylandJOE lot of private school has no choice but to open the school as no one will pay for that >50 K fee. They have no choice but to bring students at campus, if they do not do so, college have large fixed expenses, they will fold and go belly up.

@1NJParent reality was not there, politicians were thumping their chest prematurely. And now reality is coming to bite back. This all can be controlled if everyone follows the mask and social distancing rule. But 50% people will not use masks. Hence the shows continue till vaccine comes.

I was speaking of public k-12 schools and their going full virtual in Maryland counties so far (the ones that have announced).

On the other note, absolutely, many colleges are making financial decisions regarding fall. In the end the dollars will drive many decisions.

@MarylandJOE K12 school does not have resources to teach on line. Maybe well funded suburban public school will be fine, but urban and rural will not fare well.

I think you’re correct in some regards. Last spring was a disaster for most Maryland k-12 schools regarding virtual learning.

I’m not sure it’s as much about funding though as actually putting in the effort to provide a quality product that will be effective. In Maryland, at least, a major drawback is so called “equity” where unless everyone can participate, no one gets to participate. They are forced to cater to the lowest common denominator and many, many others suffer. Absolutely help the ones that have issues but don’t hold everyone else back for a few. Make arrangements to give special help.

@MarylandJOE lol

yes I know first hand that all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. That is why we ran away and came here.

A big issue in my rural area is access to adequate internet. It’s not a poor/rich thing or a Caucasian/minority thing either. It’s just a reality of the landscape. Many areas have access and other areas have little if any access. It’s certainly something that the county school system is trying to address. Hopefully they can get access for everyone.

It would be really nice if I didn’t have to read into the animal farm reference to try and analyze exactly what you’re trying to say.

Just a simple country boy here…

@TomSrOfBoston
Information about Dr. Risch and his study. For those interested.

https://medicine.yale.edu/ysm/news-article/25085/

https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/doi/10.1093/aje/kwaa093/5847586

Oddly :wink: I agree with you here. My colleagues and I wanted to go even further with assessments etc in the online school, but were hamstrung by the state and by claims that since some kids might have invisible stresses due to the virus and online schooling, we had to dumb things down.

Yesterday NY Governor Cuomo announced no spectators at college fall sports (if they have them). What about reduced density? A soccer game outside can’t have at least some fans spread out around the field/stands? Not even allowing each player two fans?

NYS high schools have pushed the start of fall sports back a month yet youth sports are in full spring this summer with no regulation on fans other than distancing.

City pools opened with up to 50 swimmers.

It’s all so arbitrary. This is what makes people not want to cooperate. Many people are starting to push back against the governor’s rule over them.

Schools are all in limbo creating plans but no ruling from the governor due until mid-August so nobody knows what is going on with school therefore creating a lot of stress and angst. Meanwhile numbers are super low and much of the state never had a surge in the first place.

After November 3rd we will have a better idea where we stand.

It’s not that odd @fretfulmother

In the end we all want our kids to get a good education. The best possible actually. I am deeply saddened by the dumbing down.

You’re right; the odd part is that when I read you at first as saying there wasn’t enough “effort” I thought maybe you meant teacher effort, with which I do not agree (and I take personally) - however, your paragraph ended up exactly in line with my thoughts.

Someone asked about AP scores - because the AP cut off a fairly arbitrary chunk of material, anyone teaching AP Chemistry using the Zumdahl-based syllabus, had covered the “wrong” portion of material. That was me (and thousands of others - there are at least four accepted “recommended” syllabi for AP Chemistry even without looking at teachers’ individual syllabi). So I was pretty proud of the scores my students managed to get, and of what I was able to do in terms of online teaching. Nevertheless, my colleagues and I kept running into roadblocks whenever we wanted to do more rigor, depth, or assessment.

I think it would have been better, more fair, and more of a good example of what online education could be (thus leading to less hassle from people like @Empireapple regarding the fall), if we as secondary teachers could have raised the standards to what we normally expected, and then made exceptions for kids who actually were affected by the pandemic - instead of assuming that suddenly everyone was totally incapacitated when the reality in our district was much different. (I’m sure some students would have had legitimate exceptions and special accommodations, not arguing with that!)

Here’s an example - we were prohibited from assigning summer work, either preview or review, because it would be “too stressful”. Teachers in my district by vast majority wanted to do that (and to volunteer our time to write the work, help kids, grade, etc. on our vacation) - in order to make up for holes from the spring and prevent more holes if we go more slowly in the fall or have interruptions. Admin said “no”.

Waaaaah. My freshman daughter’s school is doing similar. I believe one person can go in and help with move in. If she lands in a fourth floor walk-up, I’ll want my husband to carry her stuff up all of those stairs, and me to go in and have fun with the final flourishing decorative touches ;-). Such a dilemma, what to do??? She’s my only girl, and my son didn’t have any interest whatsoever in decorating, so for this once-in-a-lifetime experience, I may just have to buck up and schlep my fair share up those stairs…

[Sadly, I guess this year they won’t have those super-nice, adorable upperclassmen helpers around for freshman move-in with all of the hoopla and amazing energy…I’m going to have to bring it!]

School is recommending packing very light this year (even if they get to attend in spring, they won’t be in same rooms), but they must be crazy ;-). I’m thinking precisely the opposite!! If your bedroom serves also as your classroom, that’s bonus time in your room, so even more worthwhile making it suit you. Let the shopping begin!!

According to the 15 page NYS Interim Guidance for Sports and Recreation, spectators at youth sports are limited to 2 per player.

People who are confused should refer to the state’s 150 page School Reopening guidance manual. School plans are due to the state by July 31st. The governor’s office will issue decisions the 1st week of August.

@fretfulmother… “less hassle” I understand that you do not like that I believe teachers and schools should be up and running in the fall on day one given that they have had all spring/summer to adjust.

I am a tenured teacher who has taught grades K, 2, 3, 4, 5, and middle and high school resource room as well as college classes. This is my work ethic and how I operate as a teacher. I do not believe it is a one size fits all solution but I do believe teachers and administrators have to be ready to deliver a quality education to their students. There is nothing hassling about this. It’s challenging for sure but teacher’s unions must not be obstructionist to education.