School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

D got her finalized scheduled today. 2 classes (including her lab course) and 1 seminar totally in person. 1 class hybrid (1 day/week online, 2 days/week in person). 1 class still trying to workout being hybrid but currently listed as online (they are looking for space to add an in person weekly review class, and her one elective is fully online. All online courses are asynchronous. Her chem e study group has already worked out watching their online course together outside. All the same teachers she had requested and the same courses. She’s pleased.

They might get to write-off Covid expenses. They might need the room and board revenue to pay-off debt for buildings. I am not a tax attorney.

Agreed. It is really only a question of when all colleges try to resume f2f-this September, January, or September 2021. There are very few options for any of the colleges, and They will all at least try to resume before closing permanently. Public universities will see a great increase in both number and quality of their applicants.

Dickinson decided not to bring students back this fall for a few reasons. The company they contracted with to do their testing for students and staff, told them originally that the turn time for the results would be 5-7 days, then recently amended that to 7-9 days and couldn’t guarantee that going forward. The cost of retrofitting the campus was probably the other big reason.

Not sure about Gettysburg? Lafayette a peer LAC has also changed their plans going online for the fall.

I just can’t understand why a simple and effective protection isn’t mandated. If they weren’t mandating masks in my elementary school, I wouldn’t go back.

The problem is what’s the list of schools that would and wouldn’t make it? I think we can name a few that would be fine. After that, it’s a guess. Interesting read below. You can download the spreadsheet with all the schools he evaluated and look at the data.

https://insights.collegeconfidential.com/colleges-on-the-brink

Maybe not. Parents with resources will look at alternatives. Home schooling, private schools, private tutors, other cyber schools or transfer school districts. Enrollment could be impacted which affects funding and hiring.

I just feel rage reading this. So many people are going to get sick and die unnecessarily.

I have to reluctantly agree. Even the kids who are trying to follow the rules might not want to identify themselves as having been exposed if it means quarantining for 14 days.

Sad about Dickinson but not surprising. I doubt some/most of those buildings even have AC to retrofit. My friend moved to Carlisle. Neat little town with Dickinson embedded close-by. Interesting shops and food. Ice sculpture festival in the winter.

Rockland County NY got 100% compliance by issuing subpoenas and threatening $2000.00 per day fines.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2020/07/02/rockland-county-finds-subpoenas-help-compliance-with-contact-tracing-1296819

The colleges have put out their offerings. Now it’s up to parents to decide whether they wish to buy the experience the college is selling. “Worthy” doesn’t come into it. You buy, or you don’t buy.

Schools better get online right this fall. If they don’t word will spread fast, I suspect a lot of transfers and deferrals for the spring. If Covid is still a factor next fall that could be really bad news for schools. Nobody will pay for online and campuses could be empty. That would be worst-case scenario. Lots of schools would close.

I’m not so sure about the public universities. Many are going to get hit with big reduction in state funding resulting in services and program cuts. I bet OOS tuition will then rise. And due to the size of their student population, and plans for less robust testing than some privates I wouldn’t be surprised to see more issues with outbreaks at publics than a small private like Bowdoin.

I am sure there will be more outbreaks, but public universities are a relatively cheap and often commuter alternative. Online will be more acceptable.

It’s easy to say there will be deferrals and transfers if things don’t improve but neither of those options are unlimited or quick, especially transfers. Brand will also come into play. Online classes at Harvard or a Princeton may not be as good as in person but you’ll have a diploma from that elite school and it will carry some weight. Perceptions won’t change that fast and the alumni networks will still be there. People who can afford it and students with a full ride won’t abandon the schools. The less elite schools will have more difficulties retaining full pay students since the ROI won’t be there.

I’m the manager for our high school’s swim team. The coach actually held the first interest meeting last night - great attendance and everyone so excited to start. Meanwhile, our small school, which is going to attempt 5-day-a-week f2f, had to push back the start date a week as they got into the nitty gritty of “pods,” minimizing hall movement, redoing schedules to allow outdoor “mask breaks,” etc. And establishing the rules for when a pod - or all of us - go to remote learning.

I’m a proponent of exercise, but honestly, the priorities of the parents baffle me. I raised the question, “So when one team member tests positive is the whole team quarantined?” Everyone (except the coach) was annoyed. “Hey, we need to keep swimming!”

I wish parents in my area would stop doing this, too. “Then those kids can stay home!” they self-righteously proclaim (since all-online is always an option for parents to choose). The parents who haven’t backed off this stance seem rather…well, stupid. YES, there are risks to certain groups of students if they can’t be in school. One of my area school systems has a thoughtful approach for these students, even though they are online-only for at least the first 9 weeks. (Unfortunately, this school system doesn’t have a good track record of following through or a good record in data collection.)

These parents ignore the health and safety issues of school staff, and continue to cherry-pick quotes from their favorite “experts.” I have been very gratified to see the information that public health is putting out there. It will be very interesting to see if any area school districts go against the recommendations of any of the public health districts.

Community public health concerns have priority over the needs of just one group in the public. It’s so difficult for these militant parents to acknowledge this.

(BTW, we’re in an area that is surging…nowhere near the 5% positivity rate that WHO recommends to consider reopening schools.)

Yes, I was disturbed while reading this. @ClassicMom98 , didn’t you say earlier that your area was experiencing a surge in cases from people returning from some vacation spot? It seems like you have a small system, and that you are in a rural area? Have there been surveys put out about people’s preferences? And what does your public health person for your area say?

Last week alone, over 200 new members joined one of our state’s homeschooling Facebook groups. All of them were public school parents now wanting information on homeschooling. Their kids span the whole K-12 range.

There will be a lot of new homeschooling parents this fall.

Very interesting…thanks for sharing! It would be interesting to see this superimposed on a map of covid-19 hot spots. And then in the future, a map showing the outbreaks stemming or worsening from colleges reopening. Of course, the latter would mean contact tracing was effective.