School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

I spoke to a teacher today and they are going in for training next week. Sounds like they will be told to focus on how to deliver content in the time slots available to them - two in person slots and two remote slots for any given student. Likely, things like group work and discussion will go away for many classes as them try to streamline what really needs to be taught. He thought history and English classes will work it out. Gave me an example that group A might hear a lecture on their first day in school that week and then, on their remote day following, he would set up small groups to discuss and has a way to have those recorded so he knows the kids did it and he can then comment on their discussion later that night when he’s at home so they can see how he would have contributed to their discussion. He definitely thought math and science would be harder and thinks CB will have to change their expectations for AP classes but who knows. He thought those teachers would again have to focus on delivering content lecturing on in person days and providing recorded lectures for the days kids are remote.

Assessments will almost always be at home since the teachers only have two 35 minute periods a week with each student and need that time to teach. That’s all being reviewed. Tests will be different than usual. The deans of each subject have made committees to work on best practices with that. Math will do something different than science than foreign language when it comes to testing. I don’t think they’ll be able to do labs.

The thing that bothers me the most is that each student will just be at the mercy of their own particular teacher. I’m trying to not get worked up about the plan as a whole and just telling D21 that we will just see how her teachers do. I’m a bit worried about assessments because the ones they went to online for science in the spring were awful and kids did really poorly on them. They were just multiple choice and not even connected to their textbooks or lectures. Weird. They tanked some kids’ grades but didn’t end up counting since students were allowed to keep their grades frozen from mid-March if they chose that. Now, we are starting from scratch.

Edited to add:

Since class is done by 12:50 each day, teachers are available from 1:00-3:00 for kids to make appointments and go in and ask questions for get extra help but only on their in-person days. Any ECs that happen after school won’t happen until 3:30 like usual so not sure how that works for kids in ECs with class ending at 12:50. They are expected to go home and come back unless they have a meeting with a teacher.

I can’t keep up with it all. I just think bottom line that the year is screwed.
Teachers can’t juggle all this. Not in a million years. They are humans. It is impossible to do all of what is being expected of them.

Just my very humbled, unsolicited .02.
?

Totally. I’m staying out of all of the local politics around this. So many people riled up. We have a plan. It is what is it. D will just have to do her best within the parameters being set up.

There goes any chance for the tourism industry to recover in MA.

Also, between college students and all other citizens, this policy will require 100,000+ tests of asymptomatic people during a period when testing isn’t exactly plentiful.

Ah, I didn’t know that the SB voted for all-online for the first 9 weeks. That’s the safest bet for now in your area, sounds like.

Bowdoin just bought all students taking class this fall ipad Pros. See message to students:

You will receive an Apple iPad Pro with available Wi-Fi and cellular data connectivity, an Apple Pencil 2, and the Apple Magic Keyboard for iPad, which includes a trackpad. All interested faculty members and the staff who support teaching and learning will also receive iPads.

The iPad Pro model was chosen for its cutting-edge functionality and because of the array of relevant apps and software available for the device. It will include built-in cellular internet to allow students who have limited or no access to good Wi-Fi to have the best opportunity for strong and consistent connectivity. It has a superior camera and the processing power to support videoconferencing, recording, and editing. And, with this common mobile computing platform, you will have the opportunity to connect to your classes, build community with each other, run the same apps and software at the same performance level, and also receive the same support, regardless of your location or learning situation. A number of faculty have already said they would use the iPad’s functionality in their teaching, and we expect that others will follow. Faculty will be supported in how to use the iPad platform in their teaching, including the high-end camera and microphone, digital ink—technology that digitally represents handwriting in its natural form—and the ecosystem of apps.

The College’s iPad program in support of online learning is the brainchild of the faculty-led CTLG, whose findings included, among others, the recommendation that completing computational problems in chemistry, math, physics, and economics—and teaching languages, especially those that do not utilize the Roman alphabet—in online courses would benefit dramatically from instructors and students having access to tablet devices. The plan came to fruition with the help of the Bowdoin Online Learning Team (BOLT), which was formed to develop a framework to support faculty in the design of online courses for the fall semester. BOLT will organize resource workshops so that faculty in a wide range of fields can explore how the iPad can enhance their online teaching. In addition, staff in student affairs will use the iPad apps and functionality for activities aimed at building community outside the classroom.

While some of you may already have iPads, the intent behind providing all of you with the identical and latest model is to ensure consistency of experience, and to make sure all students have the same access to fall 2020 online classroom activities, some of which are being designed specifically for this unified platform. Bowdoin-issued iPads will also be able to run all of the applications the College licenses for this platform without students having to buy them on their own. Additionally, this latest iPad platform has an array of assistive features to better serve students with vision, hearing, mobility, or learning needs.

The College will cover the cost of the iPad’s internet service for any student who needs that assistance. The iPads are for your use throughout your time at Bowdoin. If retaining the devices will be of value to seniors after graduation, they can keep the iPad for one dollar. Seniors who have access to other devices that will serve their needs are encouraged to return the Bowdoin iPads at the end of the year so they may be used by other students who will benefit from having them.

We are fortunate to have a growing partnership with Apple and to be able to make the necessary investments to ensure an excellent online Bowdoin education in the fall. The iPads will be shipped to you directly before the start of the semester. We will be back in touch about how to acquire software licensed by the College and, for those students who need it, how to activate cellular Wi-Fi service.

Sounds like they are prepared to be online for a long time.

I just bought an iPad and Apple pencil for my kid at UMich. Currently, Apple is offering free pair of air pods ($160 value) and a $30 (IIRC) educational discount on these products.

They always told us that spring would likely be remote even if more students are allowed back on campus. Time will tell.

@CTTC - the school board vote for online was last night. It was a new development from my previous post.

Edit: I’m also listening to a long drawn out conversation by several people in my office about how the virus will go away the day after election day. And then I also just finished a meeting with a VIP employee who didn’t wear a mask. I tried to stay my 6 feet away. Grumble.

More information on the Broad Institute

And, the tests will be the self-administered PCR type where the swab does not have to go back as far into the nasal cavity.

Wesleyan students are also being asked to self quarantine two weeks prior to leaving home. This is in addition to the possible two weeks many students arriving from outside the NE will need to in order to provide two consecutive negative covid-19 test results (the school is currently seeking guidance from the state of Connecticut. whether that time can be cut down in conjunction with Wesleyan’s testing protocols.)

To quote a line of Aaron Burr’s from the musical, “Hamilton”, “Okay, I guess we’re doin’ this.”

Kudos to Bowdoin on the iPad initiative!

@fretfulmother - I feel the motto applies. You are more than welcome to disagree. It’s called a “discussion.” For those not in favor of opening, it is a hard decision that I feel is the right one. It is not “necessary to keep schools open in online-only fashion”. The alternative is not demonstrably unsafe. I have pointed to several scholarly studies the contradict your assertion. Do children learn better in an online fashion? No. Are children safer at home? Depends on the family situation.

You are correct it is not my call. I trust leaders will try to make the tough call. Unfortunately, most leaders in this case are politicians. By their nature, tough decisions get delayed as long as possible.

Bowdoin isn’t the only one handing out iPad w/ Apple Pencil. MIT and Caltech are, or have been since March, doing the same thing. These iPads are technically loaned to students.

My DS just received his at home test kit. Assuming a negative test, we are moving in 8/2 at Notre Dame for his Junior year (early for marching band). Classes start 8/10. I think ND will be one of the earliest schools to start.

That’s awesome. So the iPad kit cost what like $70,000…lol… Just kidding… ?

Well it costs something like $56k if you’re just counting tuition and that’s just for the half who are full pay. Not sure that getting an iPad for remote learning in the spring will incentivize S19 to re-enroll, though, unless sophs are on campus. :wink:

For fall, UMD was allowing freshman to occupy the dorms (doubles) with an initial capacity of somewhere about 8,000. They announced last Wednesday that they were going to about 92% online classes. Since then over 3,000 students have decided to take their classes from elsewhere. Because of the drop in dorm interest and the desire to social distance UMD announced today that almost all dorms will be singles only now. This has caused quite a stir among students that were at least looking forward to having a roommate. Not to mention at @ $8,000 a student that’s over 20 million just in room income lost. My son decided earlier to stay home and do classes. I am thankful for that. What a mess. At least they are extending the timeframe another week for students to drop housing if they desire.

Geez
… For around the same price Michigan gives them 4 masks and some hand sanitizer… Lol… Better have a logo on it… ?

So with my son’s 5 classes, 2 are online /remote, 2 live and 1 large lecture is remote but small breakout session is live. He’s actually happy with this since the 2 remote he was thinking about doing those remote anyway. Of course… This can all change at anytime.

Claremont McKenna College pulls the plug–previously planning to have students on campus, promised an update by today. That leaves only Harvey Mudd of the 5Cs still planning to have students on campus.

https://cmc-returns.cmc.edu/