School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

@ElonMomMD Are they still letting kids live on-campus?

Georgetown response on who will live on campus.

Which undergraduate students will live on campus for the Fall semester?

The University will provide on-campus housing for undergraduate students who have been approved through the Housing Stability Application process, students who have been invited to return to campus because of academic requirements, members of the incoming first-year class who are F1 visa holders, and a limited number of Resident Assistants to support this small residential community.

The article also says not clear if any of the positives that came back were connected to the leaders who (were not wearing masks) who tested positive. So the 37 not related to the 42 it seems.

Hello- I wonder if this is due to the student case already reported in a different count in the database (aka county or hospital or wherever the testing was)? To avoid double counting if already picked up?

Also, my S22 attends a small New England boarding school; they are inviting all students back and having all in-person classes for those who opt to return to campus, but all individual classes will have 10 people or less, with a few exceptions for classes in very large spaces that can spread kids out and allow for physical distancing.

What do you mean? The plans I have seen are pretty solid in what they plan to do.

The plans are going to be

“Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth”.

Mike Tyson

Yikes, I completely screwed up this post and can’t fix.

Rice doing the same as other schools asking students who can to drop their stuff off early. But I don’t think parents are allowed in the dorms at any time.

For the schools that just changed to being fully online , And so it begins with the layoffs . The facilities folks , cleaning staff, adjuncts, and other employees of this schools that are back to being online with no students on campus. There was a lot of discussion here about keeping these folks from getting sick and being alive, but I just hope that they can survive now . I feel for them. What could have been done to stop this? I really hope those schools that will be trying to be open succeed. Many people will need to pivot their careers and lives. I fully expect to have to support my oldest for a very long time, and hope I can.

For my part, a bit off topic, i am asking my family for us to stop buying from Amazon and support local businesses. thinking of cancelling my Amazon account. I dont like seeing this happen to people.

https://bowdoinorient.com/2020/07/21/164-students-will-take-personal-leaves-of-absence-for-the-remote-fall-2020-semester-all-guaranteed-readmission-within-requested-time-frame/

About eight percent of students are taking a leave.

Are we seeing any stats on publics? My kids are soph, almost junior (off semester) and sr, they know no kids taking a gap year. Public 4 yrs. Of course, they don’t know rising frosh which one assumes is the real gap year cohort.

Here’s an extensive current plan from Colgate University. Basically there will be 3 covid19 testing, (1) the in-home test kits will be mailed to students prepaid and my understanding all the testing will be covered by the school, prior to arriving to school, (2) those who are going to live on and off campus will be tested within 24 hours of arrival and mandatory quarantine for ALL for 14 days and then the last testing (3) is within 7-10 after the second test. The school is coordinating this with the Hamilton community to make sure a safe environment for everyone.

Students will be asked to sign a commitment form to adhere to the guidelines set by the school. All classes will start remotely and will resume in person after the quarantine ends Sept 8.

I understand that there is no fool proof plan with this pandemic but as a parent it lessens the worry when solid plans are made to keep everyone informed and we all make a better judgement as how to deal with our new normal.

My two updated predictions:

1- I think we are starting to see that very few colleges have faculty that are willing to teach in-person classes right now and as we approach the start of the semester next month or early September, you will see many classes that we thought would be in-person, are now going to be taught online.

2- In addition, while originally optimistic about having some in-person classes, the colleges will quickly pivot to online instruction and close things down as CV-19 cases mount within their community and at their campuses this fall.

This way the college will continue to get full tuition and room & board revenue and the students would be very reluctant (or unable) to bail at the last minute.

I’m very curious to see how privates (e.g. Notre Dame) and public colleges (e.g. Alabama) that have planned for significant in-person classes will actually have them at the start of and throughout the semester?

Would love to have been a “fly on the wall” during the college administration’s planning discussions…were their plans overly optimistic to get as many students to commit to the academic year with all of these false promises and then “bait & switch” at the last moment?

@socaldad2002 lots of us have been saying that classes were all going to end up remote. At least Duke gave you guys a heads up and time to defer. At some schools, kids are going in thinking they will get in person classes but I highly doubt that will last very long and parents will be paying room and board for their kids to be taking all classes from their rooms with little to no access to other buildings!

I agree. I think we were kinda promised one thing and reality became something different and the reason we waved the white flag this year.

I due hope that some colleges will thrive with their in-person plan but I just don’t know if the colleges have the “guts” to execute it to the fullest. Much easier for them to take the path of least resistance and limit the amount of people on campus and go virtual for the academic year. And I don’t see things changing much this spring.

UT-Austin said something to the effect that if one student dies from CV-19, they will shut the whole thing down…this is a college with 52,000 students. I don’t like those odds…

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/17/ut-austin-reopening-closure-fall-death/

Pratt, UPS, and Hendrix all reneged and are not having students back on campus.

College of Charleston delays start of in-person classes.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on South Carolina and the Lowcountry, the College of Charleston will delay the start of in-person classes for three weeks until Monday, September 14. Classes will begin as scheduled on Tuesday, August 25, in an online environment.

https://today.cofc.edu/2020/07/28/president-hsu-issues-statement-on-revised-start-to-in-person-classes/

Bill Gates. Who is certainly science and health oriented just came out with a position that schools should open for the fall. Especially k to 9.

He’s probably as wrong as we all are in our own way too.

It is certainly a bit unexpected I am sure in some circles.

But how so? So many schools don’t have the money or the space to social distance the kids.

Gates is sending his own 21 year old son in-person to Fuqua next month.

I don’t know.

I’m just reflecting on his position a little.

He’s a pretty smart guy and has devoted his recent life to pandemic type issues.

He does say that 13 and under is definitely. 14 and above if not has to have massive resources for online.