School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

I hope this shakeout extends to public education in the K-12 arena. While DS has had some excellent teachers, he has had more teachers that do not seem to be overly interested in their jobs. Charters have started introducing competition into education and I think online and pods will accelerate it faster.

I think it is certainly unfair to blame teachers for much of the failing as parental involvement is often lacking but I am continually amazed at the teacher support mediocre schools are able to garner. I think some of it must be parents not wanting to upset anyone so their child can get an excellent LoR.

I am so proud of my alma mater right now. Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma WA just announced FREE tuition for the fall for all incoming and continuing students, and one year of free tuition for all grad students. This will allow each student to take a lighter load and make decisions which keep them safe.

@Corinthian yes on the Vault saliva test.

@Corinthian Prof Galloway was a very compelling listen on the most recent episode of the Yang Speaks podcast. A Reformation is at hand.

@CheddarcheeseMN
This is the principal of our high school who has done a fantastic job with the school since my older started his freshman year 6 years ago. People move to our district for the opportunity to apply for admission. Many parents are trying to get their kids the absolute best education possible and issues of fairness are a big deal to some parents.

We are in Texas where rates of infection sky rocketed in early July and local governments and school districts have been hamstrung in instituting safety measures. Our school buildings are falling apart and some are over crowded. My take is that under current circumstances it really isn’t safe to return students to the classroom. It was definitely bars over schools in Texas. Having one robust online option seems to be the best option in terms of efficiency.

One really unfortunate side effect is that teachers in Texas have been extremely vocal in their unwillingness to return to the campus and seem to blame parents for wanting in person education. At the same time, parents are struggling and need childcare in order to keep their jobs. Others are saying employers should be more forgiving. However, as with maternity leave, taking time for families can limit future career options and long term income and women are being blamed for not wanting to cut hours or take a leave of absence.

Are you saying that Galloway is wrong that colleges he term “low value high tuition” will close? If so, why? If not, in what way do you think his opinion is coloring his analysis?

Careful everyone! School in the fall thread! I’m not sure if the Galloway stuff will be deleted if the discussion gets too off track. :slight_smile:

It seems highly relevant-schools not opening in the fall are likely to close permanently sooner.

I don’t disagree that some colleges probably will and should close and that the pandemic may accelerate their demise. I was just a bit put off on the podcast by what seemed to be Galloway’s enthusiasm for the prospect. He made it clear that he viewed it as long overdue. As I quote previously, he used the phrase “never let a good crisis go to waste.” It just didn’t sound like an entirely objective analysis of what WILL happen, but rather one that was strongly informed by his pre-existing opinion of what SHOULD happen.

Latest news in a video from UChicago on their upcoming fall quarter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq1O4UqjlV4

@KnightsRidge ugh. I don’t know. UC video is clear about how things will be. I keep going back to how this is not how any of us wanted undergrad to look. When I see videos of “how it will be”, I feel like I’m watching some fictional adaptation of college during a pandemic. I can’t believe this is it. I’m really curious to hear how students feel about it when they all get back to campuses. Is it worth it? How different are their experiences? Do they feel like they are getting enough out of being there or do they wish they would have just done remote class from home or taken a gap?

well, that supposes that in a year or two, things in higher education will revert back to some pre-covid “normal”, rather than massive structural changes occuring. If many colleges close and unemployment rates stay sky-high, it is quite possible “normal” is gone for the forseeable future. My parents always told me that they, like most people, spent most of 1930 waiting for things to get back to “normal”. It is unclear if this is a small wave or a tsunami.

Maybe at some schools. I do not expect life at Bowdoin or any of the schools that D21 is looking at to be permanently changed.

Williams has updated its plans for the fall: https://www.williams.edu/coronavirus/campus-emails/students-important-information-about-the-fall-semester/

Williams is not joking around:

Stated policies can sound nice. Question is whether they are enforced and whether they actually can enforce them (they have to catch you first). Do they have any interest in enforcing (at least to the letter) or is it more a marketing statement? Will they hvae 24/7 security in signifcant numbers all over campus, knocking on doors of random dorms and apartments, etc. Ultimately a rule without a penalty is just advice.

I have a slightly different take (although, in essence, we are both cynics. ) These last minute warnings of what life will be like on a SIP campus remind me of an overbooked airline asking for “volunteers” to take a later flight. Sooner or later someone is going to get dragged off.

Typically they bribe people to get off the plane. Many years back it was cash. Now its typically free flights/airline mileage/points. Not sure what the equivalent is for kids heading back to campus.

There will be lawsuits.

There are always lawsuits, but I don’t see that Williams is stepping beyond their power in any way. They’re giving students ample opportunity to take all their classes remote. If a student chooses to be on campus, they know what they’re signing up for.