School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

I’ll be blunt - it is a really stupid idea to have students off campus reminding people to wear masks. SMH

Well, I will say this - that’s just sad if college kids don’t try as hard when classes are P/F. That says something about a student who would do that and I wish employers would get a sniff of anyone who doesn’t care to learn and is in this just to check off passing a class. Should those kids even BE in college?

Good news for parents from the NE dropping students off in Ohio…

“Cuomo announced Tuesday that people traveling from Hawaii, South Dakota and the U.S. Virgin Islands will now be required to self-quarantine for 14 days. The state also removed Alaska, New Mexico, Ohio, Rhode Island and Washington from the list.”

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/08/coronavirus-in-ny-gov-cuomo-adds-removes-states-on-quarantine-list.html

@austinmshauri Which college is this? Considering how explosively some people have reacted to being told to wear a mask, giving students the job of telling people off-campus to wear masks seems dangerous.

Maybe, at the very least, colleges could allow a P/F grade for a certain number of classes above what is normally allowed and let students choose P/F this semester if they want. I do think some schools have changed their policy for this school year to allow that.

Three girls (new college freshmen) in my town are getting an apartment in NYC together for the fall semester. They are attending different colleges, fully remote.

Students taking the P option should be carefully advised by their faculty advisors about the implications of that decision. Some students shouldn’t do it because it will have negative effects for them that they may not be aware of.

A "P "in a gen ed elective course your last semester of college (because you’re not going to transfer at that point)? Probably okay. A “P” in a course in your major that is a foundational prerequisite for grad school? Not okay. If you need to retain a GPA based on 12 credits for scholarship, not okay. If you need to achieve a GPA in your major to get certified, not okay. If you need to retain athletic eligibility, it may not be okay. The Pass/Fail option is more complicated than it seems.

Letter grades are a kind of inter-institutional currency. P is not that valuable except within the institution itself. It allows progress toward internal degree requirements but that’s it.

I don’t read it AT ALL that Tufts is implying the surrounding community OWES them anything. So many agendas flying around, its really been difficult with this pandemic. Good on Tufts to try. Hope all goes well and that community, staff, students all do their part.

University of Pennsylvania now fully remote. One of only two Ivies that was allowing all students to return. Now only students with special circumstances will be allowed to live on-campus.

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/announcements/revision-fall-semester-plans-regarding-campus-housing-tuition-and-fees

@rosepetal35, I think it’s Tufts. Someone posted a long announcement from the college a couple of pages back.

I would laugh except that it’s no laughing matter.

Some students need to prioritize the time they give to each class, especially gen ed classes, in order to do well in their most challenging classes. Not everyone who goes to college has a pure love of learning, and even amongst those kids, some classes are just not interesting or worth the effort.

I agree - don’t read that at all. This pandemic is mentally and physically exhausting. We are more and more becoming the Divided States Of America.

Just read that 375 New Jersey teachers in a school system refuse to go in person for elementary and high school. Not even hybrid. They want to force the Governor to repeal the partial in person requirement. The young children will suffer.

@suzyQ7 Considering the governor’s announcement last week affecting colleges, I would be very surprised if the state of NJ continued to mandate in-person instruction for K-12. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they mandated fully online instruction for K-12 at this point.

@gotham_mom This one actually doesn’t surprise me, because I believe cases in Providence have skyrocketed over the past two weeks. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the city is now experiencing a 16% positivity rate.

New York just took RI off the travel naughty list.

@GKUnion I saw that, but I find it very surprising.

Its actually not surprising… in states that are mostly following the rules (like RI) there will be outbreaks that are later squashed. So the % positivity will go up, which represents the outbreak, but because of vigilance, it doesn’t grow. We can expect this to happen everywhere where there are still lots of restrictions and mask compliance. In states that have free movement, postivity will wax and wane at a higher rate.

Those of us in states with low transmission rates (and the expected periodic outbreak bumps) get the worst of both worlds… our movement is restricted and because of that are seeing nice low infection rates, yet schools are refusing to open because of poor results nationally driving fear.

@suzyQ7 I guess I just do not understand why states with low infection rates are affected at all by the national story. States that are blowing up with the virus are not following masking or distancing rules. As long as the states that are doing ok, stick with their rules, they will have bumps as you say but continue to remain low in the virus. What do the national numbers have to do with a state that’s doing well? Why compare themselves to states that are mask-less with indoor dining? What’s going on in TX shouldn’t affect the states in the NE that are doing well.

In Penn’s statement, they bring up the national numbers. I don’t understand. They also say that they are having a hard time getting initial testing done. Why would that be? Little Hope College sent tests to all students. ND just tested everyone. Neither of those reasons make any sense to me at all.

@homerdog because the kids coming to these NE states are coming from hotspots all over the country.
Also, many of the NE colleges that have gone remote admitted that they couldn’t do the necessary testing to be open. In PA right now, test results are taking between 5-7 days, supposedly, with people I personally know having waited 9 and 13 days.

Tufts has several drivable entrances but only one main subway stop a few blocks down from campus. It would be extremely easy for an ambassador to see a group of young people walking together up towards the campus and just call out to remind them to ‘mask up’. NBD.