School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

So before school opens, before they traveled, before the risk activity even starts, 33 tests were positive, a snapshot in time from the test that was done around July 27th. What is their next step for testing? I mean, those kids etc have plenty of time to get infected before they arrive, or on their journey. What % of the US population do you think might test positive on that test at that one moment in time? Let’s guess that on the day of arrival at least the same % are positive already because this is their only data so far. Even then they understand the limitations of testing. I am not sure this is news, period really.

If a college cannot test the students before they come and on arrival and regularly while they are there, I get it. I do not believe Penn when they say they cannot. A lot of schools with a lot less money have been able to set up regular testing (not the same testing as regular people in the state). ND just found 99.7 percent of students were negative.

This has of course felt political for a while now but I think it’s becoming more so every day.

My son got a same day test in a New England state last week and received his results in two days.

I think the ND example is a fascinating data point to consider. Students enrolled in a highly-selective college, from all over the country, test positivity rate 0.3%. That is lower than most NE states, right? Perhaps that reflects the age group.

My D went for a quick test in our New England state last week because she had an ear ache. No doctor referral, no cost (if billed to insurance). She got the results over the phone on her way home - less than an hour later.

Students who test negative when they arrive on campus who then quarantine for 14 days to make sure they didn’t pick up the virus on the way to there are probably fine. At some schools, the initial negative test result (received within a day or two) is enough to release a student from quarantine. It doesn’t mean they’re not contagious, just that the test was too soon to pick up the virus.

My NE town has a positivity rate <0.004%.

My S was just tested this morning. I’m anxious to see how long until he receives his results.

I’m not surprised at all that Brown is delaying until October, and I think the increasing Covid rate in the area was just a ruse since the numbers are actually coming down again. They really didn’t have their act together AT ALL. Their plan was the broadest brushstroke of ideas over about 16 pages, and when you called to ask questions you couldn’t get through for hours, and then when you did, you received directly contradictory answers from people within the same administrative department. It was a real mess. The fact that Brown was still trying to figure out its testing last week (or was it the week before?) was symptomatic of the mess. I’m glad that they recognized it and bought themselves more time.

And they will lose 0.00 students because of their folly. The benefits of being in the high roller club.

Tufts is also testing every three days along with daily temp checks and mandatory quarantines and isolation. Students are arriving over a two week period to stagger in and out of region. They do have a lot of safety protocols in place. Mask wearing is mandatory. I think the student ambassadors is more part of a campaign on health and safety to complement many other safety measures.

I think Tufts is pointing our how much they also care about and have invested in the community. They are not going to endanger the surrounding community and are taking every precaution for a safe return.

MA just released a list of about 40 cities that are considered at high or moderate risk for spikes. Correlates somewhat with recent college decisions. On the list Northampton (Smith), Holyoke (Mt Holyoke), Worcester (Holy Cross). Not on the at risk list Medford (Tufts), Amherst (Amherst, Hampshire). Boston is of course on the list but not Chestnut Hill where BC is located.

I agree. I think they are also pointing out how they have worked extremely hard in order to help the community during the height of COVID.

@wisteria100 This is a small nitpick, but Mount Holyoke is in South Hadley, not Holyoke.

its official…the big ten cancelled all fall sports.

What is this based on? Current small upticks?

True. Things were not perfect before and shouldn’t expect so now. Anyway, there were different issues with the classroom before (access/travel time/etc) too.

I know for myself, blessed as I am to work from home, but also have 3 students - all trying to zoom, go online in a tiny apartment. Balancing act with the camera, the noise! Lord only know :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t they just be reminding those that are heading ONTO campus?

Yeah, the security guard got shot and killed by an awful family for telling one of them to wear a mask. So agreed it needs to be really thought out.

oh yes - positivity rate DOUBLED last week from .94% to 1.77% in Northampton. WOW! 30 new cases between Amherst and Northampton last week. Shut everything down. Sigh.

"For both Northampton and Amherst, which combined have had 30 new cases over the past two weeks, the percentage of positive tests is up, according to the Weekly COVID-19 Health Report issued Wednesday.

Northampton’s positivity rate nearly doubled from .94% to 1.77%, while the positivity rate in Amherst more than tripled from .45% to 1.51%."

https://www.gazettenet.com/COVID-19-numbers-ticking-up-locally-35602749