School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Brandeis is still having kids come back. Some move in next week.

And the PAC 12.
https://pac-12.com/article/2020/08/11/pac-12-conference-postpones-all-sport-competitions-through-end-calendar-year

@Faithabove we just locally had a teenager punched in his face at his work for reminding someone to wear a mask. The man didn’t punch him when he was reminded, but later in the day when he saw the ten again. The kid required jaw surgery.
I’d give a strong no to having students “remind” strangers to mask up.

^Sez a lot about the demographic we’re dealing with.

My kid’s college just released a video about their wastewater testing plan which is pretty interesting. Hope it works. https://youtu.be/R0B_NKH7Bds

The article I read said it is based on case counts per 100k population. 8 gets you to red, 4 gets you to yellow. Not sure what time period it is calculated for

I have to admit I was wrong. I said that I thought the Power 5 conferences would play football this fall, doesn’t look like it’s happening unless the SEC is the lone wolf?

A quick non-college note - our main school district in a town of ~200k people started yesterday. What a mess! Middle school teachers were saying they had less than 10 students per class that were able to log in. Parents with multiple kids had bandwidth issues.

I think it is safe to say we should, but do not, have the infrastructure to support the level on online activity needed to school remotely. How bad is this going to be in more remote areas with crappy internet?

I am sick and tired of weak kneed administrators, at all levels, ignoring the science. Science is not “but what if” or “there is emerging evidence of” or “out of an abundance of caution” or “there is one case of”. The State of California has one death in the under 17 demo (600k cases & 10k deaths overall). That child had underlying risk factors. How many children have died in the last 6 months from other causes? So, why not let the other 90% of kids go to school? Let those with risk factors go remote.

Oh, but what about the teachers? Show me a documented case of a child passing the virus to an adult. While it may be theoretically possible or even logical, what part of this virus has been logical? I have yet to see a scholarly article that conclusively shows a link. To the contrary, there are several articles related to schools in Europe that show no evidence that it has happened. I read a JAMA article yesterday that partially confirmed a theory that it might be the expression of the ACE-2 enzyme. Kids have a low expression compared to adults. This enzyme appears to be the main carrier of the virus into the body. The investigators believe this may be the explanation for why kids are relatively unaffected by the virus. Obviously not ironclad, but a better explanation than a shoulder shrug.

If a teacher is in a high risk category, then let them stay home. This reminds me of the punishment method I always hated. One person does the wrong thing, everyone gets punished.

If they have 8 positives out of 100,000 tests they go to red???

This can depend on the two colleges’ policies. If the “from” college’s threshold for a P is at least as high as the minimum acceptable grade to transfer a course the “to” college, the “to” college may accept a P for transfer credit (although it may disallow P grades for specific subject requirements, such as major requirements).

USMA

[QUOTE=""]
To the contrary, there are several articles related to schools in Europe that show no evidence that it has happened.<<<<,

[/QUOTE]

Cite that source, will you?
You can do a lot yourself, round up some kids, and be their teacher.

This is not 8 cases out of 100,000 tests. This is 8 new cases per population of 100K per day. NJ, NY, and CT put states on their quarantine list once they reach 10 new cases / 100K / day (7 day average).

There seems to be misunderstanding regarding the testing. The ND number looks amazing, but is it really?

One cannot really compare a positive rate of testing done by states with the testing done by ND. The former includes (by design) many people with COVID like symptoms, their contacts, etc … The latter tests the entire college population.

To show how difficult it would be to compare these too 99.7% would mean 300 confirmed cases per 100K. Of course, they very likely found many asymptomatic cases, and we can assume those people would be positive over a period of time say 14 days. 300 cases over 14 days, about 21.4 cases per 100K.

Again those two are very difficult to compare.

@sybylla - we are obviously of different opinions. You are entitled to yours as I am to mine. I will do my best to provide the evidence you requested.

The following article cites that European schools that either did not close or those that did, reopened with measures in place and did not have to close again. https://jamanetwork.com/channels/health-forum/fullarticle/2767982 I will note, schools in Japan, Israel and South Korea were forced to close again. So, I was not technically correct.

It can be done. The European schools chose different methods that have worked. Why do we ignore their example? I’m frustrated as a parent and taxpayer.

This is helpful.

I guess I just expected that way more ND kids would be positive as worried as this country seems about how many people are asymptomatic. I was expecting their quarantine rooms to be almost full upon arrival.

I don’t think we can look at campuses in the same way as states. No college has 100,000 people. We will be judging them on what percentage of their students/faculty/staff are positive and how do the colleges keep the cases low enough as to not overwhelm the quarantine beds. It’s also different because some colleges are testing multiple times per week. No state is doing that. Don’t we expect to see more cases with more testing of asymptomatic people?

That is so terrible. This pandemic is really showing what people’s true colors are. Just sick. Hope the guy that punched him will get some punishment!

Yes to all of the above :smile:

One thing to consider based on the ND numbers. If a college has 10K students, we are talking about 30 cases right at the very beginning. Without any testing, this could spiral out of control really fast.

Luckily they do have testing, so there’s that.

I think we are all stressed during these anxious and uncertain times. Uncertainty has certainty left my family on edge as well.

Wishing all colleges who have or will open soon a safe opening with low COVID numbers and hope this continues into the fall.

Right. So some of these colleges that have a lot of testing set up to test everyone often are unlike any other place in the country. Anywhere else, we get spikes that could get out of control because we only test someone if they feel sick and they’ve likely spread the virus before they even test. Universities without enough testing will be just like a state that gets behind the eight ball. We don’t know yet how much testing, what kind of testing is enough to keep the virus in check enough to not blow the whole thing up.

High schools without testing and masks having spikes? Well, no duh. Colleges with mandatory masks on campus and distancing and lots of testing? That’s different.

I think in late October we will be looking back to August with longing nostalgia. The Divided States of America will be in full on “insane election mode” with new scandals every day. The airlines and travel related business that got bailed out via CARES will lay off employees in droves after 9/30 (which was the date they were required to keep people employed for the bailout) and parents with small children will be at their wits end trying to get them to learn something from home when perfectly good schools are sitting empty “just in case”. Some fortunate wealthy kids will have private teaching in their neighborhood ‘pods’ and find new ways to learn. Students with a poor home situation will be “no schoolers” (as opposed to "homeschoolers’). Colleges that opened will either look like geniuses or idiots, depending on what happens. The reverse for the ones that kept students online.