School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

As there has been a lot of talk about the Broad Institute on this thread, I though some might find this short video of interest.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=n8bokugF1wI

A Notre Dame update - they have their dashboard up and running. They now have 11 positive cases with 270 tests done this week. No breakdowns of asymptomatic v symptomatic; student v staff. Just raw numbers of tests and positives.

Most of the students have been on campus for a week at this point.

Also, feels bad posting this on page #666.

To me, the best decisions are always made by the individual. This is no different. Have a hybrid system let people decide for themselves. Sadly, we are far and away down the path away from personal decisions regarding School in the Fall and Coronavirus. There are so many convoluted, crazy and inept folks making decisions for thousands. It just all feels so crazy.
I can’t see people paying for this nonsense for more than a year. Even though College is a good with a fairly high demand, at some point people will walk away. I’d bet money by December the “buyers/students” are really upset.

Residents and leadership in European countries did the hard work when they “shut down” to contain the virus, in ways that the US hasn’t. It isn’t an apple to apples comparison.

11 positive cases with 270 tests<<<

Hmm. That is looking interesting. ?Their rolling average 7 day positivity rate is >4%?.  The schools are sure going to see these dashboards weaponized, I am not sure if this is their strategy? They are only be testing symptomatic and their test numbers are low. 

Is that from a long time back? That isn’t exactly a picture of large scale testing.

NJ governor announces colleges and schools can reopen in person

@roycroftmom yes in theory but the schools have to meet all kinds of state criteria to open in person, and many districts won’t be able to do it.

@Sybylla wrote:

Video was posted July 17, 2020.

The video is a look at their process, I thought some might find it interesting. not looking to re-ignite a debate about their ability to deliver as promised. We will all have that answer soon enough.

A great letter from Dr. Crow, President of Arizona State - I think their perspective is realistic -

"Underlying our COVID-19 management framework is the assumption that the COVID-19 pandemic will not be “over” or substantially mitigated by vaccines, treatments and other public health measures for the foreseeable future. In other words, we are putting in place a framework to manage COVID-19 at our university and within our ASU community over the medium to long term. It is essential that we all understand this assumption because it underlies our belief that we cannot just “wait out” COVID-19 as there is no reasonable basis on which to believe it will be fully conquered anytime in the near future. We all wish that reality were different, but the recognition of that fact calls for the implementation of a plan that ensures we have built a model for the advancement and operation of ASU in a balanced and sustainable manner well into the future. "

https://president.asu.edu/statements/an-update-from-asu-president-michael-crow-on-asus-fall-2020-planning-and-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR17YSixm1OmNXW1cwz9StqGx4XXufCM0imaFnY3U1TBNtYBjU_TqSvVMTE

@Sybylla - I am not sure of the weaponization aspect. I agree that some may use it that way. From my DS, there is a great deal of peer pressure right now to “do the right thing” with regard to masks and social gatherings.

The next big test for our family is ASU - a >100k community (staff, faculty and students) with move-in starting this weekend. There is a fairly large group from So Cal, where the virus is still pretty hot. All returning students are required to have a negative test to move on campus.

@socaldad2002 Did the school administration come out with any reprimand or warning about the large gatherings? Are they even aware?

@austinmshauri

Some schools have figured out the discount. Williams, Lehigh for a few. There is definitely a goodwill component to it…share the pain so to speak. It isn’t the students’ fault that schools decided to go remote and it seems a bit one-sided to say it’s the students/parents obligation to fully fund the budget.

Duke released their first wave of results for undergrads and grad students coming back to campus 4/3,116 positive. They’d asked students to quarantine 14 days before arrival and obtain a test at home before arriving.

Northeastern reposted the video I linked to above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3no7s_m6Rfw&t=0s

K-12 schools in my rural county are going back this month full-time 5 days a week. Sport competitions between schools have started this week, and the kids have been playing sports here all summer long.

Most of the schools a couple of counties away from me are remote - some until Oct. 1st and others for the entire first semester. Some of these public schools that are remote are opening up day care centers in their public schools. For $600 per child per month, parents can drop their (K - 8th grade) kids off at the school so a day care worker can watch them while they complete their remote learning.

"Pennsylvania State University is requiring its students to sign a waiver that absolves the university of liability for exposure to the coronavirus on campus. If they do not accept the terms in the document, which the school calls a compact, the students are denied access to the university’s portal where they sign up for classes.

‘I assume any and all risk of exposure to Covid-19 that may result from attending Penn State, or participating in Penn State activities, and I acknowledge that exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, or death,’ the waiver says."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/world/coronavirus-covid-19.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage#link-5c525c52

Anyone else accidentally read this one as ** “reopen in prison”**? Lol

Opinion: “Don’t Make College Kids the Coronavirus Police: Many universities are asking students to wear masks and avoid parties — and to report on peers who break the rules. It could backfire.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/opinion/coronavirus-college-reopening.html

Don’t know if anyone’s added this but Davidson last week announced that in addition to testing students prior to arriving on campus, they will do weekly testing of all students. I’ve not seen numbers on how many are coming back to campus nor how many first-years deferred.

Fingers crossed that the testing, along with all the other precautions including mask wearing even outside, will allow outbreaks to be contained early. Trying to be optimistic!

[Also, I’ll admit I’ve not been keeping up with this (very active!) thread and maybe weekly testing is what most small colleges are doing so nothing new here.]