School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Guess I’m speaking as someone outside of NC. Kids applying from outside of NC to UNC are generally very good students and they’ll have other choices.

Personally, I wouldn’t want my kids anywhere near a big state school for the foreseeable future.

About half of students live off campus at UNC Chapel Hill, we shall see if the level of community spread decreases if they de-densify dorms.

Right, but those who waited and were told this week not to move in (Holy Cross for example) didn’t order books and thought they’d just go to the book store. Now they will start the first few days of classes with no books, get the syllabus, and then try to order online. Could take several weeks to get them (see postal slow down thread). One of my kids got most of her books after the first year from friends (her boyfriend was 2 years ahead in most subjects).

UNC is a public school and had to follow what the Board of Governors told them to do. I just read the letter that was sent out back in July basically begging the BOG to keep the school closed.

The school did not want to open. It was forced to. UNC has some of the best scientists in the country…they tried to make it work… they had no choice.

I see this more as a function of being a public school- a private school has more flexibility. UNC had the same type of problem with a controversial statue that it wanted to remove…but was not allowed.

Hopefully this crisis ends fast.

FYI…yes OOS students likely have other really great choices…but those choices are often a lot more money.

Sorry–I need to polish up on my acronyms, I guess! :slight_smile:

If other NESCAC schools manage to pull off some semblance of the on campus experience potential students may feel the same way about Bowdoin that you currently feel about state schools.

There is amazon and profs are flexible. I wouldn’t worry about it. I didn’t know kids ever bought books at the physical bookstore
… mine always got them through the school online bookstore or Amazon (used, mostly). My son’s CS courses had almost no books. I won’t get books for my D until after the first class- profs are understanding.

So you started with one state school [UNC] and quickly expanded it to every “big” state school.

Nah. I’ll be happy for them. And that would mean Bowdoin has a better chance of inviting all students back this fall. I wouldn’t judge a school for being too careful, just for being reckless.

Yes. I did. Does anyone see some big state school making this work? Even ND with such a detailed plan isn’t really doing very well. Which big state school do you think will have in person classes by mid-Sept?

The SUNY system is opening soon. Curious to see how they do.

The big state schools will be more popular than ever. One could pay $10k for zoom university tuition through UT Austin or $56k to zoom through Wake Forest. Easy choice.

Colorado College has 150 kids in quarantine. It’s not limited to big schools.

Appalachian State University Faculty Senate passed a motion of “no confidence” in the Chancellor this afternoon. They also passed a resolution “holding the board of governors and Chancellor Sheri Everts responsible for any illness and death resulting from COVID-19 as a result of reopening campus…” Today was the first day of classes. Faculty at this institution really seem willing to fight back.

Only 1 single positive COVID at Colorado College

Colorado confirmed that 155 students are currently quarantined as of Monday out of an abundance of caution because of the single positive test.

Right, but if they are going to put 150 in quarantine every time there is a positive test, the school year will never get started.

it seems they said later on that many of the students in that dorm did not follow protocols…that is why so many in quarantine. I’m guessing a large gathering with no masks

@roycroftmom really? This pandemic isn’t going to go on for five years. 2021s shouldn’t be looking at the very short term and thinking paying less is the better option. Surprised that seven people agree that going to a state school will be better in the pandemic. I highly doubt that.

@homerdog - Not sure what you mean at all, are you saying ,kids blew their chance, not all schools are UNC and send the kids home? So I just drove 22 hours round trip last week to drop my kid off and you say go back this week and get him??? He has had one day of classes and your ready to say hope you enjoy dit time to come back to NJ??? DID I misread this?

@NJSue -I would expect that we would pay the same percent as Europe for this new model, not the over inflated prices we pay now.