School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Nova…was always known as Villa no fun…not sure it’s a big party school

Some schools/parents/students may not want to jinx anything. Success in first week or two doesn’t mean anything if its not sustained.

My daughter’ move in day was scheduled for August 30.

My daughter showed me some guidance that UGA sent out about physical distancing, and the first item was that “solo sex is the safest sex”.

Earlier in this thread, some posters were taking the position that the faculty/staff expressing concerns about re-openings were being a bunch of namby-pambys who should take the risks and get out there and hup two in the minefields with everyone else. The students will be fine and any fallen essential expendable workers would be easily replaced by the cannon-fodder bringing up the rear.

So now I’m all in, geared up with my flimsy blue mask and virus repelling wand and everyone is nervously headed for the exit ramps.

What happened?

As a former caseworker/counselor for people with AIDS in the late '80’s, that sounds hauntingly familiar–and true, if not likely to happen much!

60+ years ago my mom went to a small religious all girls college. She was dating my dad at the time who went to a nearby state college. When he dropped her off at her dorm, if she did not exit his car within a certain amount of time there was a tap on the car window from some college employee (possibly a nun). They took a day trip one time that would have brought my mom back to her dorm after closing time (was 10 or 11 pm on a Saturday night) and no one could enter the dorm after that time. No one she could stay in a hotel for the night together so they found a relative of my mom with whom she could stay. My dad slept in his car. Cleared it with my mom’s parents in advance.

Sounds to unbelievable at this point in time. Sole sex is the safest sex sounds as realistic. If that is a key part of the plan, failure seems likely. Not necessary for all of course but for many.

The Wesleyan doctor all but said it out loud this afternoon. They know people will be having sex. If you test positive, obviously your Significant Other is considered “a close contact” and will be quarantined as well.

I’m from Wisconsin. That’s what we did. Of course we were in high school and knew plenty of 18 year olds to buy us a keg.

I agree that those who want to will find somewhere to go. We always found somewhere to go. Our town was just like That 70’s Show, and we went to Tom’s basement or Bob’s father’s land just out of town or gathered up enough IDs to get us into somewhere. We weren’t even as smart as Bowdoin kids and we figured it out.

@saillakeerie In the age of Tinder, I shudder at how many hookups could spread Covid.

D18 and her roommates are right next to a free Covid testing sight- they will get themselves tested every 10-14 days since their school won’t mandate it.

Ha! I get all of that. :slight_smile:

But at least they are tested three times a week for a couple of weeks and then twice a week after that! Better chance of catching an outbreak before anyone even shows symptoms.

Also, since it’s just freshmen, the spring semester is in their hands. If there’s a party in the woods and those kids start a virus spike that will not bode well for them!

My small college in central Pennsylvania started classes yesterday. I am a professor there, but am not teaching on campus as I received permission to teach all on-line. From what I hear and what I have observed biking (while masked) through campus, students at my small private LAC are pretty mask-compliant so far. Everyone was tested on arrival and almost everyone lives on campus. One troubling sign: Students outside dining hall are sitting six to a picnic table, shoulder-to-shoulder, unmasked – I was pretty surprised to see this. Either they do not understand our college’s policy, or they were violating it. The rule is to be masked on campus – you can be unmasked while eating, but only while social-distancing i.e. six-feet apart. It is little things like this that might defeat the college’s reopening. Another factor is that we are 45 minutes from a large state university – Penn State – with tens of thousands coming back this week. Faculty are pleading with our students not to go on to the campus there.

A couple of quick thoughts.

Villanova is a regional University…but only just recently classified as such by US News.

It’s interesting to read the inquiries and the deductive reasoning about how things likely happened, but ultimately most of this is a guessing game. Sure, kids have been showing a lack of respect for the virus and it is reminding everyone who is boss, but all of the impacts we’ve seen already…and we’re still 2 weeks from Labor Day.

We collectively have to stop the spread and lower case counts before we can enjoy the rewards of that effort and participate (carefully) in socially distanced activities. We haven’t laid the foundation for re-opening safely and will continue to see large groups of cases as more and more people try to “return to normal”.

Bowdoin has been discussed here a fair amount. I think they have the right balance in their plan. Build attachment with those new to campus, and keep everyone else hunkered down. Even if they only get to October it will have been a good idea (IMO), but we’ll see.

@Boomer1964 While you said “the majority of schools” and not “all schools”, the NESCACs in particular have spent a lot of money to bring kids back. @circuitrider reported that it is actually costing Wesleyan University more money to safely bring kids back ($40 Million) for the semester than it would have cost to stay online ($30 Million).

Bowdoin has stated that their plan was also the most expensive of their options.

the entire country has almost 40,000 less cases per day than exactly one month ago. so far haven’t heard of any “sick” college students, only asymptomatic… Sounds like herd immunity is kicking in. All hot spots have low numbers now…with newer hot states also seeing reducing numbers…like Florida. Hoping this helps colleges stay open

What PR genius came up with the term “pivot”?

My friend just returned from UNC. She said over 80% of the students were following the rules. Sad that a “small” percentage who don’t can ruin it for everybody.

@melvin123 Makes me think of that scene from Friends with them trying to move the couch in and Ross screaming “PIVOT!!!”

While I agree that some appear to be making the more expensive option, they are looking at the long term consequences if they make the economical option. More likely that they loose students not only for the semester or year but ones that they never get back. Most really small school can not afford that attrition. The schools that know kids are coming back regardless have closed.