School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

What is the weather like in Boston in November and January/February in terms of outdoor picnics?

Don’t think my son would want the blanket but it’s a good idea maybe to just have one in their backpack if not Tufts. I am sure the schools sell them.

@Luckyjade2024 I’m rooting for you (and every other college kid) to get to have the experience they have worked for. I really, truly am. And I say that as the parent of an incredibly disappointed kid who will be doing her first semester (at least) online from home, rather than in Boston where she’s been dreaming of going for years. I sincerely hope this semester is a success for the schools who have opted to bring students back, as it will make it more likely that those who chose not to this fall will have to find a way to make it work.

That said, I think you’re being way too cavalier about how “fine” people are after exposure to this virus. We simply don’t know. Viruses can stay in your body forever, and screw things up for years to come (or first do so years later). Epstein-Barr virus is one example.

Be smart, be safe (I get the feeling you will do/be both!) and enjoy your semester.

Where there is a will, there is a way! As I learned living in rainy Eugene, OR, “There’s no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.”

Drexel pivots to all on-line for the semester.

I have a difficult decision to announce today regarding our plans for the new academic year at Drexel University. We had all hoped to stage our gradual return to campus, but the shifting nature of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on other colleges and universities has necessitated a change of course for Drexel. After much consultation and a frank assessment of the situation at large universities that have brought undergraduate students back to campus, we have made the decision that undergraduate courses will continue remotely for the fall quarter, and Drexel University housing will remain closed to undergraduates during the fall term.

https://drexel.edu/now/archive/2020/August/Drexel-undergraduate-courses-to-remain-online/

Not sure who is going to pack a blanket every time they go out to get a meal. Cute but sort of a token gift. Other schools (including many NESCACs) are setting up tents for eating. I think they can bring in some heaters too when it gets a little chilly. Not an answer past mid-Nov for most of the NE schools though. And I really dislike the idea that you have to grab your food and eat alone in your room for each meal. Meal times really are social events at small schools and it’s sad to lose that

My daughter went to the pediatrician for a check up (our doctor keeps them through college) and the flu vaccines had just arrived, so she got one. Good adult decision!

That puts an awful lot into perspective, doesn’t it?

If we all followed the standard scientific advice of mask up, shut down, and wash your hands, we would have been able to start school now. It isn’t innovation to ignore sound science because we gave it a half-hearted try and don’t have the patience and discipline to do it correctly.

I think it would be very tempting not to notice mild symptoms or “forget” that someone you had contact with someone who tested positive because isolation is so daunting. If there isn’t regular mandatory testing, the plan is doomed.

Bethel College, a tiny school in Kansas, has about 450 students total. They’ve been testing as students arrive and without anyone on campus but freshmen they have 43 positive students and 7 positive staff. There must be a lot of circulating virus in Kansas.

The Inside Higher Ed page at https://insidehighered.com/views/2020/07/23/colleges-should-be-planning-more-intentionally-students-who-commute-campuses-fall refers to another page that claims that, in 2015-2016, 15.6% lived on campus, 27.5% lived off-campus with parents, and 56.9% lived off-campus not with parents.

Now, that 56.9% could include traditional-age residential college students living in nearby apartments, fraternities, sororities, etc. (this is fairly common for non-frosh at state flagships), but it could also include students living with other relatives who are closer to the college than their parents, non-traditional students living on their own or with their spouses or kids, military service members taking college courses, etc…

Of course, individual campuses vary in student housing patterns. Many of the colleges focused on by these forums are populated mainly by traditional-age residential students; these can be subdivided into those where it is typical to live in campus or campus-related (e.g. recognized fraternities and sororities) housing until graduation and those where a substantial number of these students live nearby off-campus. The campuses that serve mainly commuter (including traditional-age students living with non-parent older relatives) and non-traditional students are less focused on by these forums, but also have different issues to consider with COVID-19 planning.

New England is the most beautiful place in the world in September and October. with long underwear and proper outdoor clothing, they can picnic until Thanksgiving.

FYI, Northeastern has their own testing center and requires everyone returning to campus to test on day 1, 3, and 5 and then every 5 days after that. So, robust routine testing of asymptomatic students, faculty, and staff. NEU doesn’t have a heavy party culture. Plus, graduate students, faculty, and staff have gradually been returning to campus since June and undergrads with Boston coops moved back into the dorms in July. This gradual increase in numbers of people on campus has allowed the university to get some of the kinks out before the return of students in the fall. The viral load in Boston is already low and Boston residents are already setting an example by wearing masks indoors and out.

In terms of the long game, based on the number of structural upgrades including classroom technology made by NEU, I suspect that the university will offer more remote options in the future regardless of whether or not we are in a pandemic. In addition, much of the infrastructure improvements will serve the university well during any future disease outbreak and help with overall health avoiding existing virus outbreaks.

ASU’s common data set says that (for the Tempe campus), 76% of frosh and 27% of all students live in campus housing.

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Stay on topic. I am deleting posts.

Obviously it would be for September and October…trying to make the best out of a tough situation.

Thanks for the positivity!

You guys all know there are many reasons why the Swedish strategy won’t work here - the biggest being that it would take years to get to herd immunity and millions of people would die. There are many articles written about this. I don’t think it really helps to look at any other country at this point. Americans as a whole are not willing to do the things that other countries have done to slow virus spread. We are a big country and we have too many people who think their rights are infringed on if the government suggests guidelines. You only have to look at USCarolina, Iowa State, Alabama, etc to show that adults and college kids alike are not going to agree to masking and social distancing.

Testing, therapeutics, and a vaccine are the only things that could change this now. And I understand that none of those is a silver bullet.

Thanks for the well wishes. I’m not trying to be cavalier, just trying to stay as positive as possible. I don’t take it lightly as far as safety precautions. (always in my mask, etc) but I also refuse to live in fear.

Its easy, roll it up and stick it in your backpack …so you always have it. Then order food, sit and eat. Wow so many negative comments over a nice idea.

September and October are perfect for eating outdoors…maybe early November too.