School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

more positive news. College recreation department moved yoga,zumba, and abs classes outside. Likely to move equipment outside as well under tents.

^ I met a sign language interpreter whose deaf clients often rely on lip reading for communication. Normal face masks where impractical for her work. So they used clear visors.

Groovy! I might just do that in my basement or back yard! :slight_smile:

I know Bowdoin is starting with gym equipment and classes outside. Since being outside seems to be a good way to help with virus spread, I keep thinking that schools in warmer climates should do better this fall but many of them seem to be the same states that either (1) are experiencing parties or (2) are completely shuttered like the schools in CA. I still can’t believe the 5C consortium is closed. Those five schools are small and the climate is warm and it seems like they could have done well.

As another parent of a student at a small college in Michigan (Kalamazoo), that’s probably your kid’s sports rival, I like to see your report about a small college in Michigan, @Corinthian. With good mask/social distancing adherence and pre-entry testing, a small LAC has (in my view) a good chance to complete the semester or quarter without outbreaks.

Update on UCF numbers: For move in last week they had 76 positive tests out of 2,894 tests. They are only testing kids in on campus housing once at move in.

D18 is not on main campus, she is on a smaller satellite campus with it’s own dorms and classroom building. She started out with 1 class online and 3 F2F and is now 3 online and 1 hybrid. The 2 went online after she committed to housing. Classes start on Monday.

My niece is at Grand Valley State… Hopefully they can pull it off…

MODERATOR’S NOTE: I just deleted a few more posts having to do with whether people like certain posts or not. Please stick to the topic and share information. We want to keep the thread open. Keep this in mind when you wonder why threads are closed. We try really hard but users have to cooperate, also.

Schools with experience with last year’s mumps outbreak on college campuses may have robust contact tracing and quarantine programs in place already. Elon does.

Oh dear. 2.6%. That is not good.

Amherst is reporting 1 positive of about 1200 tests performed this week. Think the testing includes faculty and staff as well as students. They caught a couple more positives during the pre arrival testing that was sent to students to take at home.

@“Cardinal Fang” @knowstuff Good to hear about your kids. Hopefully small schools like Hope, Kalamazoo and Grand Valley can pull it off. Do you feel that the town/city where your school is located is being supportive? Downtown Holland seems to be.

ND posted another 75 cases. That’s over 300 total in the last ten days. I wonder how many isolation beds they have and how many kids are quarantined as contacts. Hopefully, these numbers will start to stabilize now that classes are remote. That would help other colleges plan. If staying on campus but having only remote classes keeps cases down then schools can choose that over sending kids home.

@“Cardinal Fang” - now that our county has resumed updating their dashboard, the county positive test rate for the 15-24 demo is 17%. With today’s update of Notre Dame’s number to 304 out of 1,780 tests, they are at 17% positive test rate. While I understand the time windows are different, these are the numbers that are available. We will have to see if the 2 weeks of no in person classes has an impact on the numbers.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/c29aa0c6a84844ceab6601da4b124c0b/page/page_6/

https://here.nd.edu/our-approach/dashboard/

@noready - my point is based on a global relative risk perspective. Of course, individual activity will impact an individual’s relative risk of catching COVID.

A student who stays in the home, not venturing out for any reason will have a lower (not zero) risk of COVID.

In my county in California, the positive test rate for the 15-24 year olds is 17%. Their hospitalization rate is 3% (29.4 per 100,000 people). This is the same positive test rate that we are seeing at Notre Dame right now.

My assertion is that when assessing the risk of the situation, the relative risk for the typical 15-24 year old is roughly the same at Notre Dame as in my county. Each person’s individual risk is dependent on their activities. I understand your point that in the school environment, more f2f interaction is likely, increasing an individual’s risk. That is why you wear a mask, wash your hands and maintain social distancing. All of these pillars have been taken into account with Notre Dame’s plan. In my case, I don’t see my son having a greater risk by returning to school.

It’s a pity that these covid dashboards end up being so confusing.

I couldn’t find a metric about positivity by age group on the Stanislaus County Covid Dashboard. Their overall positivity this week was 3.11%. It seems unlikely that the positivity for the 15-24 demo is 17%, particularly since that age group accounts for a good number of cases: 17% of all cases, to be exact. There may have been a confusion there.

@“Cardinal Fang” you might be correct on that, it is hard to tell since they do not provide raw counts for age, just %. They used to have a separate tab that had a 7-day moving average positive rate. It was fluctuating between 16% & 20% for the 2 weeks before the data snafu. On a separate chart, the current county 7-day average positive test rate is 13.2%.

It’s my niece. My son goes to University of Michigan and that town is really supportive and sorta worried at the same time. Ask me again next week when I bring him up there…LOL…

I will touch base with my niece next week also and to see how it’s going. She’s in an off campus apartment. She did have a run in with people not wearing masks and just wont’ socialize with that crowd. She’s really trying to do the right thing but tough when students around you don’t and then get you sick…agh

Kalamazoo College is a small school, but it’s across the street from big Western Michigan University. I had thought that Western would go online after its big brother Michigan State went online, but apparently that’s not going to happen. Kalamazoo is a small city, rather than the small town that some of the other little Michigan LACs are in, so it’s a different kind of infection situation.

My son is doing this next quarter at Kalamazoo, his last, from our home in California. He made that decision on his own, partly because he didn’t want to sign a year lease for what would be at most a quarter of in-person education and partly because it wasn’t at all clear whether anything would be in person.

@usma87

The numbers in the left column add up to 100% (actually 101% due to the rounding errors). All that the table implies is that 17% out of the current 12,935 active cases are in the 15-24 group.

Say only a single person tests positive in the last x days and he is 20. That would make it 100% for that age group. Yet, it doesn’t mean that 100% of 18-24 are positive.