School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

The mystery about Auburn and other similar campuses is a known exposed person is trying to schedule a test and having trouble. Auburn tested the roommate. Auburn knows the roommate tested positive. Auburn knows that @homerdog’s friends’ son is the roommate of a positive. Why does the friends’ son even have to try to get tested? Why didn’t Auburn call and send the friends’ son to the quarantine dorm right away as soon as the roommate tested positive, and schedule him for a test immediately?

This makes no sense.

Because Auburn has no system in place. Not enough testing capacity. Tons of kids getting sick and wanting to test so they go off campus to get tests and then I’m not sure what happens. In my friends’ case, the roommate’s family lives nearby so just came and got their son. I don’t know if he reported the positive to Auburn at all.

Neighbor’s son is a TAMU and says lots of parties happening, no masks, kids packing the pools. He thinks he’ll be back home soon since cases are going to blow up.

They just started updating their dashboard today.

@“Cardinal Fang” the bigger mystery to me is why anyone would go ahead and send their student to school knowing there is zero plan for Covid. We are not close to Auburn. My friends’ son is just going to have to stick it out if he’s sick. They think he for sure will be positive when tested. They are just crossing their fingers that he doesn’t get really sick.

The Wesleyan dashboard is up and running. Not much to report yet. As of Sunday there were still twice as many employees on campus as students. Two hundred and seventy students were tested with 0 positives. Five hundred and twenty-two employees have been tested with one positive result.

Over the last two weeks, the university community as a whole has registered a .15% positivity rate:
https://www.wesleyan.edu/healthservices/reactivating/health/dashboard.html

And No Trinity which is a Broad testing NESCAC college is just starting a staggered move in process over the course of a week or so. It is spaced out to de densify the move in. Classes start 9/7. Pre arrival negative testing (to be arranged by student) is mandatory. Arrival testing by Broad within first 24 hrs of move in. Surveillance testing twice weekly for duration of the semester. Like many NESCACS no visitors on campus, dorms de densified and hybrid learning. Students sign a contract. Limitations on group gathering sizes.

Other child goes to a Broad tested college and all have been fully moved in and twice tested by Broad with a 20 hr results turn around time. The entire student body will do twice weekly from here on out. No visitors in dorms or rooms, social contract. The testing turnaround time has been according to contract as promised by Broad.

If these schools’ planning and responses are as bad as described, we won’t be too far away from some disasters.

And no one wears red on campus. :smiley:

https://www.ajc.com/education/georgia-colleges-waive-satact-requirements-for-upcoming-admissions/5ZCA2ILIRVE57C7AP6NIGQB7XY/

Would most everyone participating in this thread be able to get their kid tested prior to arriving at school?

If that were a requirement for my kids, I am not sure I could get them tested as our hospital system is only testing those who have three or more of the symptoms for covid.

I would think a college would make an exception for a student in a similar situation, yes?

It appears there is quite a dividing line between schools that had / have a plan vs not. Makes you wonder what some of these schools did all spring and summer. Don’t quite understand the thinking at UNC and others where they didn’t test kids pre-arrival. They’re practically (actually they are) inviting covid to their campus.

Syracuse freshmen had a big misstep with a gathering of several hundred, but they report no covid cases from that as they all had to test negative prior to being allowed on campus. Niece is a freshmen. The testing was done almost immediately before travel to school so the results were very recent (like within a few days- niece actually had to wait an extra day prior to family making the 6 hour drive because they hadn’t received results yet). Terrible and reckless these kids violated all the conduct rules (niece didn’t attend the gathering), but at least they were all recently told they were negative. Makes you wonder. If everyone is negative and they don’t get exposed to much off campus, they probably won’t have much of a problem. It’s the uncontrolled off campus (not just kids, but workers, food service, maintenance, etc.) issues that can bring it on campus.

@shuttlebus i think schools requiring that might make an exception but then that student would have to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival to school. Some schools offering that and letting kids stay in dorms. Others just say that’s an option if you can find another place to stay to quarantine. If not, then they suggest you take class from home until you can get a test.

In Illinois, we can get tests with 24-48 hour turn around near us

There are labs you can mail order from…

I live in Maryland. Anyone can get a test here. In order for my son to move onto campus at his NY college, he did have to provide proof of a negative test and we were able to get one free of charge from our local health department. However, the school also provided a list of places that provide at home test kits, so anyone who could not get a test locally where they lived could order an at home test kit. Some had to pay out of pocket for the test while others said their insurance covered. The only one I recall offhand was called Pixel. You did have to provide a reason for being tested, but one of the choices was “congregate living” which is what the college told students to select when ordering.

A parent just posted this on one of the Rice boards describing life at Rice right now:

Day 1: Welcome to covid campus.
Day 2: This isn’t so bad.
Day 3 We will now introduce a hurricane. Also you have physics homework due.

That basically sums up my daughter’s experience.

Because people are convinced that students won’t get too sick. It’s all over this site. Never mind that there are now several different strains and we haven’t seen the long-term results including possibly chronic heart problems. It won’t be my kid.

It’s the same reason schools like Auburn and ND and Mizzou didn’t do a whole lot to prepare: if/when they get it, and they will, few will get very sick and it costs too much money to do it right. I mean, the MO governor came right out and said it.

@PetraMC

Exactly right!

@rickle1 are the students at Syracuse going to be required to stay on campus for the duration of the semester? I thought they had access to off-campus/the city at large after the quarantine period, but I could be mistaken.

Where I live things are more open than other places but our public schools are still online or hybrid. Meanwhile private schools are opening 5 days a week. DD goes to a private high school and I am shocked at the number of kids, they must have increased enrollment. So class dismissal is staggered to where half the kids leave then the other half 5 minutes later during which the teacher is to disinfect tables. But students end up cramming in the halls, waiting for the teachers to be done cleaning. Kids are told to social distance but there simply is no way. Students do wear masks but it’s amazing how this school is going on, business as usual, while the public schools are online-only.