School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Here is the video of Penn State’s Director of Athletic Medicine saying that 30 of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for covid—including asymptomatic people—showed myocarditis when they had MRIs of the heart. (Starts at around 54:35)

https://youtu.be/4Ju2PRFyDK4

I hope those Indiana fraternity and sorority members who are joyfully spreading covid don’t mind a little heart disease. It might get better. Or it might not. We don’t know.

A friend’s daughter is a sophomore at Beloit and just went back campus from
California so out of curiosity I looked at their Back
To Beloit plan. You have to do Covid testing on your own between 7-10 days of arrival. No quarantine period once there, testing for symptomatic students only, hybrid academics, and looks like no plan to do survey testing. Creating outdoor space to eat, hold events and “hold parties”.

I guess if they don’t test they won’t have cases.

I feel sorry for the surrounding community.

Another university here in Ontario (Wilfrid Laurier) has announced that the winter semester (Jan-Apr) will continue to be online. That currently makes 2 schools that have firmly committed to continuing to be predominantly online for second semester and 1 that has indicated that the winter semester will continue online for all first year courses. Classes don’t start for most schools here until Tuesday so we have yet to see what kind of success (or lack thereof) the various schools have with their individual fall semester plans. That will probably inform many decisions for the winter and I’m expecting many more schools will follow and make similar announcements in the weeks to come.

I get the sense that DS19 believes he will be returning to class in January. I’m reluctant to burst his bubble.

My daughter just graduated from there…She was on campus last spring and the kids that stayed were really following the rules but it was the “locals” that were not. That is what I would watch out for even in their small/cute downtown. It seems they are encouraging to take temps daily, wear masks and social distance etc. They did seem responsible on their actions. Hopefully the students can self police abit. Good thing is, it is not known as a big party school. Students did study on the weekends.

FYI- My daughter was one of the “boat” people. They have kayaks for free on the river and there is a boat house. I highly suggest this. My daughter did her homework on a kayak some days and a great way to social distance but do something fun…

Sorry! I meant to quote someone’s question a few threads back. I am referring to Colgate University.

@usma87 Where are you getting the figure of 12.6% for the positivity rate in Maricopa County? I"m guessing that the figure you’re using is from the AZDHS data dashboard and is cumulative from the beginning of testing. I follow the twitter account for Garrett Archer (aka AZ Data Guru) and today he reports that the Maricopa County 7 day ELR percent positive rate is 4.5%.

If you look by zip code, it looks like spikes are happening in 85281 (ASU- Tempe). The concern locally is that if cases continue to rise at ASU, this may negatively affect the benchmarks being used to reopen in person or hybrid K-12 schools especially in Tempe. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-education/2020/09/03/arizona-health-benchmarks-show-most-schools-can-reopen/5703614002/

@DeeCee36 I brought up that subject here… http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/2194672-2021-spring-academic-calendars.html#latest

@Knowsstuff my niece graduated from Beloit. I’m rooting for them just as I am every other college. I just don’t understand the testing strategy or lack thereof. It’s like less info is better somehow.

Anyway I’m hoping it works out for ALL colleges that that have kids on campus this fall and/or at least we learn what works or didn’t work so all our kids that had to stay home can get to their respective schools in Spring or fall 2021!

[quote=“milgymfam, post:15559, topic:2088334”]

Depends on the situation. My senior student at UConn has his own single off campus apartment within walking distance of the school. So he isn’t sharing a bathroom with anyone, he has 2 in person classes, gets to know his professors, has a small local friend group, access to the gym, bookstore, local restaurants and on campus restaurants, and can enjoy the 100s of acres of campus grounds. It feels very safe, and since it is his senior year, we were glad he was able to get an on campus experience.

Does this mean W&M will not honor their D1 athletic scholarships after this year? For currently matriculated athletes?

@curiousme2
"The university pledged to honor all current athletic scholarships of those affected through their scheduled graduation at William & Mary. Those wishing to transfer will have the full support of the university.’

Athletes want to compete.

If classes are available online then it’s perfectly fine to remotely do a semester or two. If labs or in-person research are required for graduation and can’t be postponed until next year then sure it’s essential.

Every young person running away from home to live with friends at dorm or off-campus while doing all classes online is pretty much same as going for a party. Most can stay home, safe money and help curb this pandemic without any academic loss.

I’m not undermining value of a wholesome college experience or advantages of living at an intellectually robust campus or social nurturing of an engaging community but at the moment we are facing a pandemic, can’t insist on having it all … even at the cost of suffering of fellow humans.

If women’s gymnastics and volleyball are fully funded at W&M, that’s 24 women’s scholarships that will have to be replaced to offset men’s scholarships. That’s a lot of adjusting, so other sports may still play, but they may lose some scholarships.

So no one should move out, get a new job, get married, or otherwise continue with their life while awaiting an end to the pandemic, @1Rubin ? Presumably you do not live with your parents at this point, and it is not really up to you or me to dictate to others when or how they should stop doing so.

How myopic. It’s not the same as a party and you can’t lump everyone together. My son is on-campus and doing his best to minimize risks. I think most of his classmates are trying to do the same. They want to be there and get in-person instruction. That’s admirable.

Of course you hear about the one rogue frat party or dorm but that’s because that’s what we do in America…we sensationalize everything and minimize the normal, day-to-day tasks. Anyone who thought or thinks there will be a zero infection rate isn’t living in the real world but that doesn’t mean we go live in a bubble. We social distance, wear masks when needed, and wash hands often. If kids get infected we quarantine and treat.

If kids want to stay home and take online classes good for them but that doesn’t mean that’s the right thing for everyone. That’s one of the great things about living here…choices.

Totally disagree. I invite you to read Northeastern University’s presidents’ piece in the Washington Post. This pandemic could go on for multiple future semesters. I guess everyone needs to sit home with their parents and not move their life forward (regardless of mental health or poor family circumstances) just in case.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-virus-isnt-going-away-thats-why-campuses-need-to-reopen/2020/08/18/28810dd0-e17d-11ea-8181-606e603bb1c4_story.html

Movement of people is ok when it’s in a small and controlled manner. So the infrastructure created to control the virus for a specific population isn’t overwhelmed. The issues with a lot of colleges is that it structured so that 20k people suddenly descend upon an otherwise small town within a few days. That’s partially why many schools have gone online partially/only. The local authorities have to think about making sure their high risk residents will have what they need with the resources that they have.

Gettysburg college is all over the news - NY Post, NY Times, Inside Edition - for being the first college in the country (allegedly ?) to lock down all of its students. Even some great students quotes of it being like prison, except with phones, Netflix, video games and being able to leave three times a day to go get meals.

What is really annoying is the misreporting of cases etc . The college is not even close to a 7% positivity rate as reported.

Agree you can’t lump everyone together. S19 is in an on-campus apartment, minimizing risks by limiting his social life to a pod with his three roommates. I’m satisfied with his approach.

However, he says his approach is NOT the common one. There is not the rare “rogue” party, there are multiple parties nightly in the private apartment complexes. And many frats, who have offsite locations for parties, were having parties, although that has toned down.