School suggestions for summer visits-undecided major + music

My kid planned to take private lessons and wanted to play in the college orchestra. She did a trial lesson everywhere she applied…because the private teacher was that important to her. And the colleges where she applied had no issue with this.

3 Likes

@thumper1 the schools my kid applied to didn’t have instrumental teachers at all- just to clarify. Therefore sample lessons were not possible!

Well…that is different! The schools my kid applied to did have applied faculty…and they all offered lessons to those who were not majors. My kid wanted a good match. Fun fact. Her first private college teacher was a member of CC at the time…and we all thought she was terrific!!

1 Like

I think it is so interesting that some Ivys have either no teachers or won’t tell you who the teacher is. S is only applying to schools he can meet the teacher or already knows them.

That’s exactly how my not music major kid felt!

1 Like

The idea I guess is that you find your own (or continue with your own in some cases). There are a lot of teachers in Boston and other cities. And that the study of music at some schools is a liberal art.

Not many schools had my kid’s instrumental teacher anyway back then: some have added classical guitar since. My kid is primarily a composer so they had different priorities from a flutist.

I would think that schools with a grad program in music would mostly have grad students teaching undergrads. @helpingthekid73 it might be helpful to know the schools that are offering sample lessons and info on who the teacher would be (on the music major forum?)

1 Like

My kid didn’t ask whether the two extra music letters (one from teacher, one from youth orchestra conductor) could be submitted, in addition to the two academic letters. Kid just sent them, college took them, and they most definitely played a role in the committee’s evaluation - kid has seen the file, in which the committee quoted from the music recs. I was told that the entire committee listened to kid’s 3 minute music supplement, and that they sent it along to the school’s conductor. But that school truly values performing arts on campus, even though they don’t have performing arts majors, and for this reason it seems that a lot of the successful applicants there have very high achievement in performing arts, in addition to academics.

So just send the two extra letters and the music supplement (3 minutes of solo playing is long enough to demonstrate his skill, and short enough that they’ll actually listen to it). Beware that it is extremely difficult to manage enough practice time to justify private lessons, while double majoring in music and academics. Once your son is at school, he will figure out the balance between what he wants and what he can manage, and the role that music will play in his college life.

4 Likes

Thanks! I thought that private lessons were included and required as part of instrumental music majors at most schools. All of the schools we have looked at include them in the major, most for credit.

@parentologist this student will be majoring in music…looking at BA programs.

I think the key is to find a school where double majors are encouraged, and where the private teacher is a good match.

My kid was not a music major. But as long as the kid played in the college orchestra, lessons were given at no cost weekly to the student. And the teacher was great.

2 Likes

@helpingthekid73 what schools are you thinking of that have BA programs with instrumental music majors? I am confused. UCLA used to but changed to BM. All the BA programs I am familiar with have liberal arts music majors. The degree is in music, not an instrument. There may be a performance component in a few classes, but most of the performance is extracurricular (sometimes for a small amount of credit) and lessons are often funded and given a small amount of credit. It isn’t the same as being in a studio at a BM program. I think it would be helpful to know what BA “instrumental music majors” you are looking at- I don’t know of any!

A general music BA usually includes theory, composition, music history, musicology, ethnomusicology, music technology and electives. It can be done without playing an instrument at all at the schools we know about.

All of the schools we have looked at have had lessons as part of the major (some for and some not for credit) and some have the price included for majors and some it is extra. This is from the WIlliams music major page
Majors must enroll in partial credit music lessons for at least two semesters.
This is skidmore

Private Musical Instruction
Select three semesters of private musical instruction in one area of performance
1 Like

Yes I am aware. But they do not have “instrumental music majors” and performance is a small, very small, part of the academic program. Lessons tend to be for very little credit. The major is a liberal arts major. We did not pursue sample lessons at all: they didn’t seem that relevant and if the teacher was not satisfactory, we would have used a teacher outside of the school (at some schools you find your own teacher).

Williams does require vocal or instrumental lessons and ensemble participation. I am actually going to write them. This excludes music students with certain disabilities. Without a lot of exceptions that is, which are required by law.

My second kid had only three criteria for college selection…and one was getting to play in the college orchestra and continue lessons with an applied teacher. She was not a music major, or minor.

This was important enough to her that she contacted all the college music department chairs, orchestra directors and applied teachers for info. They were wonderfully helpful. If a college said NO, they were immediately dropped from her application consideration list.

I think some students do want to make sure that lessons can be included as part of their continued study…and that the applied teacher is one they feel good about.

My kid also met orchestra directors when we toured colleges…and even music department chairs (even though the kid was not planning to major in music). My kid felt this was important, and it sounds like it’s important to the OP’s kid too.

3 Likes

Yes, this is what we are doing. I think that after his summer some of the BMA programs may come back onto the list since music is so important to him. Since he does not know what he wants to major in other than music he is concerned about the BM requirements at schools like Northwestern and Vanderbilt not allowing him enough time to explore other classes. Having an outstanding orchestra and teacher and a BA at this point is the perfect balance. He has already crossed off a few schools due to lack of fit with teacher or not offering lessons.

Sounds to me as if a large state school with a good school of music is his best option, because of the wide variety of available academic majors. Again, if continuing to study his instrument is that important to him, the first factor is the teacher at the school. My kid, who originally had been intent upon conservatory, then school of music with access to great academics, and then finally chose to attend a tippytop school with a vibrant performing arts scene, but no music performance instruction at all, started the process by considering all the teachers in the country who taught at decent academic institutions. Kid then eliminated locations they wouldn’t go to, and teachers that they (by sound or reputation or lack of availability) didn’t want to study with. This narrowed the list considerably.

Some good U’s with good schools of music and good academics are reputed to be places where one can double major in music and academics pretty easily. When my kid was looking (not your kid’s instrument), they found that McGill, BU, U Md, and UConn all fit this description for them, in addition to having an excellent teacher for kid’s instrument. Yale is an option if they can get in, because of the presence of the Yale school of music, which is only masters level, but students can take lessons and play in ensembles. At the time my kid was applying, they were in transition for my kid’s instrument’s instructor, so kid didn’t apply, but otherwise it would definitely have been on the list.

@thumper1 there is a difference between offering instrumental lessons and requiring them. Not every music major can play an instrument.

In regard to Yale and actually any school with a grad program, it is always a possibility that the teacher will be a grad student.

1 Like

And graduate instructors are outstanding in Yale SOM, for example!

Absolutely but noone has mentioned sample lessons with grad students!

1 Like

HA! Yale is definitely an amazing place but not on his list! Wishing to follow in your D23s steps

1 Like