Schools known for good merit aid

University of Nevada - Reno gives $16,000 for NMS finalists for 4 years. Not as good as Arizona or Alabama, but maybe for kids who like some snow.

2 Likes

Lawrence University provides full need. D was offered separately for merit $28k.

Lawrence does not meet full need for all. Starting next cycle, they will meet full need for all students from Illinois and Wisconsin, a great development.

4 Likes

Loyola New Orleans is giving my son good merit of 31k. They also give institutional need-based grants. Among my kid’s 13 schools, they gave us the most considerate merit and aid package, and they have treated us well. (He has a 3.9 UW GPA and did not submit test scores.)

7 Likes

I was warned by a friend who just completed this process with her daughter and they accepted a spot already, to just be aware that schools that entice kids with a lot of merit aid, might actually be on shaky financial footing themselves. They may be trying to bolster enrollment numbers to get a little buzz going on about how they are “improving”. Not say it’s the case for every college but something to keep in mind, especially if it’s a smaller college. Check out their endowment and their projected operating cost.

My DD is in 11th grade so we’re about knee deep in the process. We’ll be ramping things up this summer working on essays and a resume alongside a summer job.
Good luck to everyone.

3 Likes

Forbes ranks the financial health of private colleges.

4 Likes

Congrats to ur ward - I am interested in more information on Univ of alabama since my son is applying this year - which campus is this ? Also did ur kid automatically the honors program admission? Did ur kid apply for any specific engineering major ? My son wants tk apply for mech but might want to shift to computer science later ? Do they allo that in bama ! Thanks in advance

Campus – Tuscaloosa, the main campus. Your son should look at Huntsville too.
Honors – Had to apply for university honors, engineering is automatic based on SAT/GPA. EPIC is by application only. I think they take 25 kids each year or some such?
Major – Chem E; very easy to switch once accepted. No stress.
Good luck.

Thanks so much

1 Like

? This is an incredible source of info. for families.

1 Like