Schools known for good merit aid

One great bonus to Washington and Lee’s scholarship program: if the scholarship is merit-based rather than need-based, W&L lets the student add on any outside scholarships, without reducing the amount given by W&L. (For need-based scholarships, they of course have to follow federal “need” guidelines, but they seem to be as generous as possible.) I wish W&L’s scholarships were more widely known!

By the way, I speak with first-hand knowledge of W&L’s terrific academics and robust honor code, because I have close relatives and friends who’ve either recently graduated or are still students.

And whether or not you win a full-tuition scholarship, you will have the honor of knowing that part of EVERY student’s tuition at W&L is paid for by none other than General George Washington himself. He donated to W&L all the money that the Continental Congress gave him for his service during the Revolutionary War. That sum was invested and provided a solid foundation for the university’s future prosperity.

Hi,

anyone knowledgable on full ride/ twothirds ride scholarships for international students? I’m keen on LACs and smaller Universities for Economics.

bump…

I must throw Depauw in… its a great school with almost all new buildings and constant construction and they will really work with you to give you whatever you need (im an incoming student c/o 2010 so i know from experience)… Xavier University(OH) also has a very good merit aid program

Edit:
I’ve also noticed a debate on the LAC’s and math/science… depauw has a super strong science dept. they have a whole building dedicated to biological sciences and a newly renovated math/science building that is amazing. I think they have one of the top programs in chemistry/biology

did anyone mention BU?

Seconding comments by a_placefortruth about Washington and Lee.

S just received full tuition George Washington Honor Scholarship, covering all 4 yrs (tuition increases too). Plus his award is not reduced by two other merit scholarships he has received. His SAT I scores were not the highest in the applicant pool – just above the 75 percentile for W&L (refused to take them in his senior yr!)-- but with tons of leadership/ECs in athletics, academics, arts, plus demonstrated interest in W&L (3 visits, letter, sent PSAT score thru Natl Merit Scholar program), indicating that the school means it when it says that it considers many factors other than test scores.

Lots of flexibility and personal consideration throughout, consistent with reputation. Only one essay for the GWHS application (along with full application, due by 12/15), plus invitation to send in whatever else he wished the scholarship committee to consider. Most importantly, S had such a great time at scholarship competition that W&L stayed firmly at the top of his list even after Jefferson Scholar Finals at UVa.

Berea College provides every admitted student with a tuition scholarship for “100% of tuition costs for four years of enrollment.”

<a href=“http://www.berea.edu/prospectivestudents/financialaid/tuitionscholarship.asp[/url]”>http://www.berea.edu/prospectivestudents/financialaid/tuitionscholarship.asp&lt;/a&gt;

True about Berea, but there is also a financial eligibility component. A family’s EFC, as determined by FAFSA, can be no more than $4,500.

<a href=“http://www.berea.edu/prospectivestudents/admissioninfo/requirements.asp[/url]”>http://www.berea.edu/prospectivestudents/admissioninfo/requirements.asp&lt;/a&gt;

Income limits (maximum adjusted gross income):
Family of 2 or 3: $47,000
Family of 4: 52,000
Family of 5: 56,000
Family of 6: 61,000
Family of 7: 65,000
Family of 8: 69,000

To me, these are not true “merit” scholarships, but are rather specifically need-based.

University of Pitt - definitely - many get Full Tuition scholarships and they award 10 Chancellor Scholarships - which is free everything basically, and the 100 who do get interviewed for the chancellor scholarship get full tuition regardless

Brandeis-my son got the Judge Brandeis Scholarship(only for 50 kids)-full tuition for 4 years
Colgate -my son was awarded an Alumni Memorial Scholarship given to top 200 admitted students giving them a $5000 fellowship
We know someone who got the Pitt award
Emory has a scholars award-very hard to know what they want there

USoCal give some awesome merit scholarships, ranging from full-tuition trustee scholarships to 1/2 tuition presidential scholarships (all NMFs can get these) to 1/4 tuition leadership scholarships + additional other merit scholarships including $1000/year for NMFs + merit scholarships in individual schools (like engineering).
They also give merit within need, meaning if they really want you, they’ll give your family all or mostly grants instead of much in the way of loans. A friend’s family only had to pay about $9000/year for his USC education because he was needy, bright & they really wanted him.

Yes, even though USC has a high cost of attendance, their grants, merit awards and financial aid packages can be fabulous. I have said it before, I love USC for that!

oberlin college

Yea, they offer a lot to attract OOSers. I got a 4k scholarship and my stats weren’t exactly amazing (3.2 / 1800)

Drew, Were you offered the merit aid as an oos of student at Bowling Green?

Yes, I don’t qualify for financial aid

Thanks for clarifying Drew.

Caltech. Offers upper class merit awards; at least $1 M given out this year.

University of Miami and University of Maryland. Syracuse University also offers some full or mostly full tuition scholarships.

Does U. of Md. spell out the credentials needed for merit aid? If so, can someone provide the link? Some schools (like BU) give GPA’s and SAT’s; others are very nebulous.