Schools known for good merit aid

Good merit aid these days is generally considered to be in the $10K to $20K range. That is for people who have NO financial need. If you qualify for financial aid, then you should be appying to schools that offer to meet full need. However, you will still be expected to pay your EFC and take out some loans (generally speaking.) Other schools may or may not meet full need based on their policy and how much they want you to attend. There are some full merit scholarships out there that cover full tuition–but they are very rare and will go to maybe a few candidates at most. Generally you need to seek schools where you are a tippy top candidate in order to receive them
ie. ivy claiber, but you decide to go to a school like Syracuse.

Good luck!

Ds had 1450/2140 SAT, 800 SATII -Math2, 4.26 w-gpa = applied to engineering programs and got good merit at UMiami (24K/yr) and UPitt (10K/yr).

Damseldog - don’t know where you are located but Pitt offers more merit, up to full ride and also dept. scholarships, easy app but submit early (Sept/Oct) for full consideration.

Well, I may need to chime in here. From experience with my first cousin who is currently a Jr at The College of Wooster - coa there is around 45,000. His mother iS currently teaching and father is retired tracher. They don’t make a huge sum but they aren’t poor for sure. He didn’t have stellar stats: act 26, gpa 3.7 and no ap classes. Not many ec. What he does have is exceptional writing ability and visual arts talent. He got a very generous merit package, and his total financial aid was around 29,000. I am not sure if he is paying full tuition because my aunt said their out of pocket expense is 12,000 per year. Not too shabby! I also am aware that Denison offers merit aid.

Excuse my typos
am writing this from my Android.

Oh, and my mom is College of Wooster grad but her education was free as she was employed at the college as a secretary full time.

damseldog - There are schools with very good engineering programs that give some full ride merit scholarships, room and board and tuition. The Robertson Scholars program at Duke/UNC comes to mind. Not many students receive this each year.

I am guessing your D is not a National Merit Scholar or you would have mentioned it. There is a longer list of schools that offer full ride for national merit.

If you are definitely looking for a full ride and your EFC is fairly high so you qualify for little or no need based aid , rather than looking at threads about “good merit aid”, you might check the historic “what I learned about full ride scholarships” and “update on what I learned about full ride scholarships” threads. You need to look at schools where your D is at the very top of the school’s stats.
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/291483-update-what-i-learned-about-free-ride-scholarships.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/291483-update-what-i-learned-about-free-ride-scholarships.html&lt;/a&gt;

Thanks for the replies so far :slight_smile: I’m not sure if we qualify for need based or not - can’t fill out financials until next year. We have income of about 100,000 before taxes. I’m a stay at home mom. Everything we have is invested so my husband can retire in 5 years. It is a large sum, but untouchable for any other use. We also have inherited land that I’m sure will make our numbers go up. It too, is untouchable.

My daughter has stock worth about 5k that she will liquidate for school. She knows we will help her out as much as possible, but is insistent on going for a full ride so she can do it all herself. Again, don’t know how much we will qualify for based on savings and “worth” so am asking about merit. Sorry so long. I appreciate any input :slight_smile:

You can precalculate your EFC at fafsaforecaster.com

damseldog-

As has been pointed out, “full rides” are not the norm for merit aid, and generally indicate either a really, really, really exceptional student or involve a school where the student is at the tippy-top of the stats. Merit aid generally isn’t an automatic reward for good grades and scores, but a way for schools to attract students that they want for some reason or other (including those who can afford nearly full-pay).

In my kids’ search, the stronger engineering schools didn’t really give any full rides except maybe to a handfull of superstars. I would think that, with her strong stats and interest in engineering, your daughter would be able to land some of the higher non-full-ride merit aid awards at schools like Case Western or RPI (and maybe U Rochester), but these would likely be on the order of $20-25K leaving $25-30K or more to cover cost of attendance. Bucknell also gives some $20K scholarships for women in engineering, but the COA is well over $50K. Remember that merit aid doesn’t decrease your expected family contribution when calculating need-based aid.

Having said all that, it is possible I’m overly pessimistic :slight_smile: Best wishes. We need more women in the technical fields.

BTW, what state are you in? Merit awards at in-state univeristies could bring the net COA down to something manageable

*I’m not sure if we qualify for need based or not - can’t fill out financials until next year. We have income of about 100,000 before taxes. I’m a stay at home mom. Everything we have is invested so my husband can retire in 5 years. It is a large sum, but untouchable for any other use. We also have inherited land that I’m sure will make our numbers go up. It too, is untouchable.

My daughter has stock worth about 5k that she will liquidate for school. She knows we will help her out as much as possible, but is insistent on going for a full ride so she can do it all herself. Again, don’t know how much we will qualify for based on savings and “worth” so am asking about merit. Sorry so long. I appreciate any input

My daughter will be a hs senior next year and wants to be an engineer. She is top 10% at her school. ACT 33, SAT 2250, lots of CS, AP, 4.2 weighted gpa, works on projects with local engineering firm. Any suggestions on schools with great engineering programs that give full merit scholarships?

With that income and savings/land, you won’t qualify for much/any need-based aid at most schools. If a good amount of savings/investments is in funds that is not “officially” considered to be retirement (like 401k), then that money will affect your EFC. Personal stock accts will also be considered. And, of course, that land will also affect your EFC.

It’s very thoughtful for your D to consider a full-ride (or close to it), but since she’s not a NMF, her choices will be narrowed.

Schools like Miss St could possibly offer her a free ride, however, schools ranked higher than that will probably offer far less. (BTW
I don’t think UNC, which was mentioned above, even offers engineering). There are so many super stats kids in engineering, that an ACT 33 (which is very good :slight_smile: ), is often not a top score.

*You need to look at schools where your D is at the very top of the school’s stats.

This is a very important point. While some will say that merit money is often give to those with stats in the upper 25%, typically the LARGER merit scholarships (such as full tuition) are given to those in the top 5%. And, to get the “full ride,” the student needs stats in the top couple of percents
and the student may also need some other kind of hook
such as from an unusual state, URM, etc.

To be a strong contender for a “full ride” at the schools that give them to non-NMFs, stats need to be in the upper 1-3% or so. At my kids’ university, the 10 full-rides that are given to non-NMFs typically have ACT 35/36 or SAT equivalent.

The momfromtexas threads are a little outdated
many of those scholarships have either been changed or eliminated because of the economic downturn. Another issue with those threads is that the schools tend to be largely commuter/suitcase schools
which can be rather lonely for someone coming from out of the area. Of course, that is fine for someone who has no other means to pay for college.

Damsel
it is very admirable that your D wants to cover all of her college costs with merit, but you need to have a “sit down” with her to make sure that her goals aren’t at cross-purposes. I know that she likes very good schools with excellent engineering programs. She may be thinking that she can get a free ride or close to a free ride from one of those. She might be lucky and snag one, but it can’t be expected.

So, it’s important to help her “sort out” what her priorities are.

Will she happily go to a school like Miss St on a free ride (which she might get)?

Or would she rather go to a “better” school with engineering where she can get - say free tuition - and you’ll pay the rest?

Or would she rather go to a “top” school with engineering where she may only get a modest portion of her college costs paid for and you’ll pay the rest? (for instance, Georgia Tech).

Of course she should apply to some schools from all 3 groups just to see what “might” happen at those top schools.

Iowa State University in Ames, IA is very generous with merit aid and has a stellar engineering program. Take a look
my DD is a soph there and loves the school and campus. We are paying roughly 1/2 tuition and her ACT was a 27 w/ a gpa of 3.8.

“You can precalculate your EFC at fafsaforecaster.com” Thanks.

buzymom3, I just took a look at ISU’s online scholarship calculator, and even with a 4.0 and top of the class (not tippy-top, but good), the highest amount I could get was $7k (34 ACT). Is good merit $ very tight for OOS, or are they more generous than might appear? We’re planning summer visits, and might think about working this one in if it would be worthwhile.

@damseldog - our daughter’s stats were similiar to yours
Best offer my daughter got was from Purdue - she received their highest OOS scholarship @$16,000 a year (Trustee Scholarship). Also, we sent our daughter to their pre-engineering camp during her junior summer, and think that might have also helped - show intereset etc. She got nice offers from Lehigh and U of Rochester, but with their sticker prices - she could not pass us the value and having no debt afterwards. Good Luck.

one last thing - Purdue is very pro-women engineering - really over the top!!

Pghmomof2
Iowa State is more generous than they seem. One of the grants that we received came out of the blue after we had already received an offer letter. BTW the offer letter came quickly. We were accepted in November and received a notice of award about 10 days later. And about a month after that we received another notice. None of the money was departmental.

We had only received about $4000 from U of Iowa, so we were surprised with the generosity.

Very happy with our decision. BTW another school that was very generous was Loras College. They were only a couple of thousand more than Iowa State, but DD wanted a large school at that point.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Good to know - we’ll think about visiting on our tour of the Midwest. :slight_smile: Was your daughter a NMSF/NMF?

No she was not nmsf or nmf
not even close. lol NHS lots of ECs good ACT good solid grades high level student, but not that high.

fyi
my younger dd is looking closely at Univ of Alabama. They also seem to be very generous
especially to OOS. DD has 30 on ACT and will get $14000 off OOS tuition. If she gets another 2 points for a 32 she will get instate tuition for 4 years plus

We are heading down to Univ of Alabama in a couple of weeks. We live in Chicago, but they have 40% OOS and are pushing for Northern kids. I will post a trip report when we get back. We are very impressed so far with our contacts and with what we are reading on UA thread here and online.

I really recommend that anyone who is interested in a GREAT scholarship, student government, no greek life, intellectual-focus apply to HENDRIX. It is really an underrated school.

damseldog
The Park Scholarships at North Carolina State provide tuition, room, and board +
Consider these for your engineer daughter looking for a full ride.
[Park</a> Scholarships :: Welcome to Park Scholarships](<a href=“http://www.ncsu.edu/park_scholarships/]Park”>Home - Park Scholarships)
Here’s the link for the Robertson Scholarships at UNC/Duke, which in my opinion is the best full ride merit scholarship program in the U.S.

[Robertson</a> Scholars: FAQ](<a href=“http://www.robertsonscholars.org/index.php?type=static&source=71]Robertson”>http://www.robertsonscholars.org/index.php?type=static&source=71)

I think the McDermott Scholarship Program at UTD is up there with Robertson, Jefferson etc., Check it out. It’s the best kept secret in the nation!

[The</a> Eugene McDermott Scholars Program](<a href=“EMSP Overview - Office of the Provost | The University of Texas at Dallas”>EMSP Overview - Office of the Provost | The University of Texas at Dallas)

Unless your child has truly exceptional academic, artistic, or athletic talent (and especially the latter), your assumption going in should be that you will need to come up with the Expected Family Contribution, and that this will be calculated on the school’s terms, not yours. Merit aid these days typically amounts to a relatively modest discount (maybe $5K-$10K) for full-pay families to expensive private schools.

The few full-tuition merit scholarships to tippy-top schools (Hopkins, Chicago, Duke) are going to kids with truly stunning qualifications (think child prodigies who helped decipher some ancient language, or at least, in an off year, your run-of-the-mill Intel science prize winner with straight-As and near-perfect test scores). If your kid is not in that league and you still want to chase the elusive “full ride”, you usually need to dig down into schools for which s/he is way over-qualified. Better (in my opinion) to find a good fit with relatively affordable tuition (such as the honors college at your state flagship).