Schools known for good merit aid

I agree MarkBass. That is clearly merit aid. The other type is when colleges don’t ask for any financial information, but give merit or scholarship $'s based on a student’s leadership or community service, or even something else stated in the application.

Didn’t fill out any financial aid forms and S (engineering) got the following merit w/ 1920 SAT and 3.85 GPA:

Drexel: $78K
Wilkes: $52K
Albright: $78K (legacy)
Penn State: $0 (legacy)
Pitt: $0
VaTech: still waiting to hear, but not counting on any $.

Per year!?

I believed per year. My daugther got one from Drexel 22,500 per year, but now she’s waiting for her interview for the school of medicine

Adding a few in the “not an A student” merit aid category:

Wittenberg (OH): $14K/yr for 4 years

Capital (OH): $20K/yr for 4 years ($11K of which is a music scholarship, the rest academic)

Adrian (MI): $9K/yr for 4 years

Kid stats are 2.96 UW GPA and 28 ACT .

31 ACT, UW GPA of 3.45

Drexel: 22,500/year

Penn State: 0k

Pitt: 0k

George Washington University: 30k/year in merit aid; met 100% need with about 90% in scholarships/grants and 10% in loans/work study.

S 3.7 & 2180 received $100,000 over 4yrs from Rollins College in beautiful Winter Park Fla.where he will graduate in may with honors while playing a varsity sport has been accepted to the three graduate programs he applied to. I highly recommend.

Quote:

S got the following merit:

<h1>Drexel: $78K</h1>

<h1>Per year!?</h1>

This can’t be “per year”…that’s higher than COA. It must be divided amongst 4 years.

Earlham College: $15,500 PS
Smith College - $38K ‘grant’ (that’s what they called it)
Austin College: $19,000 PS - plus some more institutional $$ added when full FA pkg arrived. Can’t remember the full amount right now but total is something like $23-25k just from the college.

All are renewable annually. Hope the info helps someone else out, especially for next year’s students!

Is this merit award also need based?

Any news about Lehigh and Hopkins?

Our S received a very generous merit package from private Santa Clara University (California), much more than we were expecting. This school has a wonderful reputation academically, and it is very beautiful. Good location in Silicon Valley, lots of internship opportunities especially for those in tech fields. It is not my S’s first choice, but certainly a contender, and the cost for us would be equivalent to a CSU.

Feel the same way…your friend’s son will not only get to go to the better school for free, but will also get a work study job. This “work study job” is money that he can use for whatever he wants…food, fun, alcohol, etc. Since he already has a “free ride”, he does not have to use this “work study” money for tuition or books!!! YOU and I, however, will be sending our kids care packages so that they can continue eating when all the “work study” jobs are gone and we are trying to save $ on the dining plan!!

Does anyone have info about merit aid from the university of Michigan. Has anyone gotten notification of the shipman and other high awards. My child has a perfect score on every test she has taken. Over 1000 hours of community service. 4.5 gap,

us house of representative page, national merit finalist, candidate for presidential scholar, ap scholar of distinction , u…s.senate youth program, 36 on ACT,

If u of m cannot come through with merit aid for this girl, she will take her talent out of state to an ivy League school

^^ fairy - since ivys dont give merit aid, just financial aid, shouldnt she be getting fin aid from u of m as well as merit?

Furtard,
Did you try Case Western - great for engineering, awesome Merit packages.

No financial aid from u of m. . Ivy will give her some

After reviewing some of the recent posts, I feel I need to offer a little advice to parents who say they are sending their kids to a school that was a “better fit” (whatever that means) even though its going to be a financial stretch. By all means, do whatever you think is best. But think about 3 things: 1) how good is that “fit” going to seem in retrospect when they graduate with $100-150K in debt ? 2) if you’re going ahead with your decision, please don’t let them major in something worthless like sociology or world religions – make sure they will be marketable when they come out and at least have some prospect of paying off their debt. And 3) google “higher education bubble”. Many people think college costs are forming a classic bubble right now, just like the housing market a few years ago.

Sociology and world religion worthless? What is college now, trade school?

No. Its training and preparation… just in case you might want to get a job some day.