Schools known for good merit aid

I see it in a later comment. Thanks

Fordham - full tuition. Yeah!

@socaldad2002: I just saw your post.

I personally think the more schooling the better, all else being equal. 8 years for undergrad and 2 masters is terrific. But all else isnā€™t equal since monetary resources arenā€™t infinite (at least mine arenā€™t), and I see more value in a master or 2 anyway.

A bachelorā€™s+ a masterā€™s for the same cost as just a bachelorā€™s makes more sense to me.

@txbaby Wow! Congrats! Would you mind sharing stats?

Son is nuclear engineering major so that limited the field a lot for potential schools. And many of those schools arenā€™t exactly generous to OOS. Right now it looks like this:

Kansas State: 12k/year (off the list. NE is only a minor at undergrad level)
Purdue: bupkis
Wisconsin: bupkis
Tennessee: 15k merit; additional 2k from NE dept; auditioning for potential music scholarship (bassoon player)
Penn State: this is in state. Have not heard anything yet but not optimistic. This would change if he gets into SHC which would be 5k automatic. Music scholarship money possible, auditioning soon.

33 ACT
4.2 unweighted (I donā€™t know how, but the school uses ā€œAā€ā€™s and ā€œA+ā€œā€˜s for grading. To simplify, has never gotten less than an A
4 or 5 APs also taking a few this year, rest honors
All state bassoonist
Marching band section leader and officer
Many clubs. President of aviation club.
Engineering track in HS (our HS has engineering program)
Volunteer hours.
4 year varsity bowler, 3 year captain. Made individual States last year.

@snakster:

MUST in Rolla offers nuclear engineering and he looks to qualify for a $16K/year scholarship there, making tuition comparable to a cheap in-state school.

UNM also offers nuclear engineering and the Amigo scholarship seems to wipe out most of the OOS tuition there (youā€™d have to pay a few thousand a year in tuition).

Get going on those as 2/1 seems to be the deadline for scholarship consideration.

@snakster University of New Mexico offers nuclear engineering and offers very large scholarships. They also have a reactor and relationships with government labs. https://scholarship.unm.edu/scholarships/index.html

@snakster also look at awards from Iowa State, University of Alabama, and Arizona State. They are known to be a good engineering school, they do not have nuclear, but perhaps your son considers a school that has nuclear for masterā€™s ā€“ like UNM which has its own reactor and relationships with the government as I say above. Iowa State, University of Alabama, and Arizona State all give out money to OOS.

Thank you all for the suggestions. He is pretty much locked in to wanting to major in NE. He also favors schools that have fusion energy science research at the grad level. This is why Wisconsin and Tennessee are good options. He really wanted Ga Tech but did not get in. He had looked at MUST and for one reason or another he had decided against. I even have family in MO, but I canā€™t force him.

Some of the other places are just a bit farther than heā€™s willing to go. Even Wisconsin stretches the limit. Ideally the school can be driven to in a day (if needed). So that basically eliminated schools like NM or Oregon State.

I am actually happy with the offer so far from Tennessee and it fits his criteria on many levels. It may actually cost less than our in state option (PSU).

All that said, Iā€™m going to draw his attention to those agin. Thanks everybody.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got to put in another plug for St. Josephā€™s University, a Jesuit school known as St. Joeā€™s. Located in Philadelphia, it has a strong regional reputation.

U Delaware seems pretty good OOS - merit around $16,000 per year; Binghamton also seems pretty good OOS - merit around $13,000 per year; Pittsburg ok OOS - merit $10,000. Good SAT, but GPA not that high.

2 Dept of Energy national labs in New Mexico: Sandia
and Las Alamos. UNM would get my vote!

To follow-up, he decided not to send a last minute app to UNM. It certainly had pluses, but the distance was a factor. Additionally heā€™s lined up for music auditions as well and he felt a bit flat footed in knowing what the music options were for him at UNM (he plays bassoon). I wish we would have stumbled on to this earlier. It might have been a different story if we had looked into it back in December. (Although I still think the distance was a huge obstacle.)

UNM extended their scholarship deadline for any others following thread with interest there.

ā€œAmigo scholarships for Fall 2020 has been extended to March 30, 2020!ā€ http://scholarship.unm.edu/

Wow. I guess they are not getting the traffic they want so far. Wellā€¦maybe we look at it again. Canā€™t hurt. It IS a very good deal.

On the subject of UNM, are those extended scholarships an either/or situation? That is if you get in state tuition via LUE Plus, does that negate the AMIGO scholarship? are can you theoretically get both?

There must be a formula at work. My child was offered 10K at Binghamton and 7K at Pittsburgh both OOS. Stats are gpa 3.7/4.0 unweighted, SAT 1260, ACT 28 so low compared to a majority on this site.

What about colleges in the south?

D20 GPA 4.0/4.9
SAT 1580, Math II 800, Physics 800
Major: Mech Eng

Rose-Hulman- merit $27,500/yr
Case Western -merit $30,000/yr

@snakster I donā€™t know if youā€™re still pursuing UNM, but it was one of my faves for D19 (definitely not nuclear engineering - theater tech, lol) - and I had a phone conversation with their admissions and financial heads and they allow stacking of scholarships. I donā€™t think that applies to UNM schollys (you can get the LUE or the Amigo but not both) but if you got outside schollys they would not count against the $$ that UNM gave you.