Schools That May Give Me A Full Ride

^however, the State of Virginia is lucky in that it offers lots of excellent choices, choices that would be better than Prairie A&M or Youngstown state, although those two are good safeties for OP.
(We can also assume OP’s score will increase).

In particular, applying to JMU, GMU, UMW, VCU, and CNU + honors programs early would be in OP’s best interest, in addition to the usual suspects (W&M, UVA, VTech)

1 Like

The highest PVAMU scholarship listed there also includes campus housing and meals, i.e. close to full ride.

Perhaps @EconPop may have more information about college searching for scholarships and financial aid.

2 Likes

But how is the OP going to pay for those options? She’s not getting a full ride or full tuition scholarship at those you listed.

There may not be automatic full tuition or full rides at these VA universities but there definitely are competitive ones - for which OP would definitely be competitive. (UMW also used to have automatic scholarships but it was changed this year due to covid and I don’tthink they updated for Fall 2022 yet, OP would need to check.)
Income level 150k keeps a lot of need based aid options at places that combine need and merit where her combination of stats+geographical origin+URM would increase her odds at preferential packaging.

1 Like

NO! for a VA student just about anywhere is better than the NE!

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction on Prairie View. I did not see that.

And while I agree that public in-state options are likely the best bet for the OP academically and financially, having just gone through the admissions process with D21 and her friends, it seems like safeties are now matches and matches are now reaches and merit money is more competitive than it was pre-COVID. There is a lot of chatter on the parents of 2021 thread about students who anticipated admissions and/or merit based on pre-COVID expectations that were left scrambling for true financial safeties. I am not familiar with the VA schools but I do know that a budget of less than 10K/year for an academic profile like the OP’s with family income of 150+ K is not easy to get. It may be that the family will chip in something. But I was assuming worst case scenario.

What’s your family’s need? Some private schools and UVA/UNC meet 100% need.

Alabama. Ms state. UTK. ARKANSAS are generous. Arizona too.

Schools like Charleston give $6k if your EFC is under $30k. Easy to get into and they’ve awarded my daughter multiple scholarships including another just an hr ago. So many I need to check and see if they are duplicative.

There is a way to get an affordable but maybe not free ride…only two I know that cover EVERYTHING are the Johnson scholar at wash and Lee and SMU. Get on the email lists. Both will let u apply for free. Whether they are right for a person of color only you can decide. But applying could happen no matter what. Use common app, write an essay. If u win u can investigate later.

W AndL also meets 100% need. There is lots of feedback online about being a minority there, both good and not so good.

2 Likes

I was thinking of the Maine/VT LACs, Skidmore, St Lawrence, Connecticut Coll, Trinity Coll - in terms of running the NPC. I agree that geographical diversity preferential packaging is more likely at Whitman or Grinnell but < URM + 400+miles+ magnet program> would typically yield good results at the above.
Or is it a VA thing (or NOVA-specific?)
@ghgal04 : are you from nova or another area?

I agree that trying for the Johnson scholarship, if you are okay with the college after reading about it, is another shot at a full ride.

1 Like

If the OP is in NoVa, or even the Richmond area, all of those schools are heavily on the list of usual suspects. URM won’t hurt, but anywhere but as a target region, not so much. West coast schools (Whitman, Lewis & Clark, etc) and mid-west are much better bets.

Her listed stats might barely get her admission to these schools, even with her URM status, let alone merit money. Her family makes 150K/yr, she says, so she’s not going to qualify for anywhere near enough financial aid to make it work for here.

2 Likes

Her stats are sufficient - high rigor, good grades in a magnet program, decent test scores for 1st time cold so potential+100 (but many are TO anyway so if OP doesn’t reach 1380-1420, it’s not out), student council president+ VP Black students org+ 2 varsity sports+ job; most importantly for her, they have very good FA up to 200K income.
Hence, worth it to keep as reaches after running the NPC and eliminating those that require too high a student+parent contribution.

I’d consider being from NOVA a bigger issue because it may mitigate the geographical diversity factor. So OP needs to clarify.
(I’ll check the colleges I listed wrt # of VA students whenever possible. These LACs are popular with Day School/BS students but not sure wrt public magnets).
Another issue is if her parents prioritize the family in the home country over her and her studies. THAT would be a big problem, that OP needs to clear with them ASAP.

There’s a difference between wanting a full ride and needing full ride. OP would like a full ride or full tuition scholarship in order to help her parents continue helping relatives and in order to save toward PA/med school. Both are good goals – re reading, OP is trying to create a list that doesn’t entirely consists in full ride options.
It’s good posters are directing her toward possible automatic full rides, as those offer excellent safeties, but as far as we know, OP isn’t in danger of being kicked out or of not being able to go to college at all. So I don’t think we should limit this list just to automatic or competitive full rides (while including them, of course). A pretty complete list has already been provided.

However, choosing a school where the top 25% have about 1000 SAT (21 ACT) may not be the right move for a student who could afford better instate schools with some contribution (CNU, VCU, and UMW should definitely be on her list). Including such colleges is good, but I’m trying to help expand the list :slight_smile:

OP is in a difficult situation because 150K income will mean careful choices, especially if they own a house in the NOVA area. Less of a problem if they live in the Piedmont, in Norfolk, or in the Appalachian region (lower COL, lower likely equity).
Still not the level of problem that a kid from a family making 35K is facing.
Still worth running the NPC on some colleges to start a discussion with the parents. If not the ME colleges, then Whitman, Grinnell, St Olaf, UPuget Sound, etc. Running the NPC as a first step.

@ghgal04 : could you be recruited for track/field at the D3 level?

1 Like

Oh. I missed the $150k

So at a school like W&L at 150k 88% of people get need based aid at $38k, so slightly less than half the $81k COA. Unfortunately my daughter got zilch. So I called…why are we part of the 12%. They all have the asterisk…assumes avg assets. To W&L that would be 2x salary. Maybe I’m naive but I’d assume most making $150k have $300k, especially since most schools take home equity into account. Cornell told me if you have a million in assets, and many do, there’s not a school in the country giving you a nickel for need.

2 Likes

I’ve been saying this for a long time. I was in your position. Folks on CC focus so much on income when the average assets caveat knocks out many with less than $200k/yr income or whatever the number is that keeps getting thrown around. Colleges have a very low definition of average assets.

2 Likes

Be sure you are studying on Kahn Academy for the SAT. They have a great free program. You link it to your college board account and it focuses on what you missed on your tests. My oldest used it and took practice tests (timed on paper) and even input those into the Kahn Academy to get the most accurate guidance. It is a very efficient way to study and he took it once and did great.

4 Likes

why is that if I may ask?

I am not from NoVA! I am from southeastern VA/Hampton Roads ( I’d prefer not to disclose my city for obvious reasons :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying for others. I know that If I don’t get a good (and by good I mean one that covers enough) scholarship I’ll be ok I’m just trying to be smart about avoiding debt in the future and looking for some schools to add to my list that I could achieve that with.

I do not think so, I joined the team more-so to keep in shape and I am a pretty average if not slower runner. My school is known for football and track so in comparison to the other more athletically focused students, I would say no.

1 Like

Go Dolphins :wink:

Yes, your guidance counselor can give you a good idea in what range your GPA falls, as they still have your class rank of as of last year.

You have received many good suggestions. There are also CNU and last but not least ODU (some from the magnet program went there too).

1 Like

Myos was suggesting that geographic diversity might help you - colleges like to have students from across the US, and will sometimes give a ‘tip’ to a student from an under-represented region. VA -esp Northern Virginia, Richmond and some of the Norfolk private schools- send a lot of students to the NE colleges that s/he listed. There’s nothing wrong with the schools, or with you applying to them- but they have enough applicants from VA to not need to give any particular student an incentive to come. Midwest schools, however, are woefully under-appreciated, and PNW even more so by east coast students, and might well be a little more generous with merit aid to encourage you to come.

4 Likes

To get good merit apply to the schools that publish tables such as Bama. Arizona. Ms State. Bradley for private Then you know b4 u apply.

2 Likes