Scott Walker and UW-Madison Academics

Hi!

I really want to apply to the University of Wisconsin but my uncle who is a college professor at a different school says that Scott Walker’s policies are destroying the academic quality of the school. More specifically that the top professors are leaving the school, and consequently the quality of teaching is decreasing.

Thoughts?

Mobility among professors isn’t that high, but a few might leave. Probably not the ones who do a lot of undergraduate teaching. A highly vocal critic of the governor has threatened/promised to leave, but some doubt she would get an outside offer. Many PhDs would love to move to Madison. I doubt the recent turmoil will have much effect on undergrads.

My thoughts on this issue:

1. If you are majoring in the humanities that’s uhmm… not as popular, then I will have to say that those classes CAN be impacted. By “CAN” I mean that the classes might become more infrequent OR have less sessions (so it gets full quickly).
    <and by="" “not=”" as="" popular",="" i="" mean="" classes="" that="" are="" so="" not="" popular="" you="" might="" have="" never="" heard="" of="" it="" in="" your="" life.="" even="" intro="" to="" music="" appreciation="" has="" hundreds="" students="" and="" …="" really="" sure="" if="" can="" call="" a="" class="" or="" free="" grade="" booster="">
  1. If you are majoring closer to the STEM, then I do not think you will have to worry. Those classes seem to be UW-Madison's source of income (?) towards internationals.
  2. Your learning experience has nothing to do with "this college has top professors". Surprisingly, it is the top professors who tend to teach worse (or at least from my biased experience) than the associate professors.
  3. Many classes in UW-Madison is now being more and more replaced with associate's/visiting professor. In other words, in terms of learning, you won't be facing problems. From my experience, my math professors were visiting professors who had gotten PHD at UChicago, UT-Austin, Stanford. I do not think just because they aren't tenured => unable to teach.
  4. Your first two years (possibly all four) will be in huge lecture halls in which professors aren't really helpful. What I mean is... since UW-Madison and many other "universities" are research oriented, there are many professors (usually not in the humanities but more in the STEM) that CANNOT properly speak english. You will be depending on youtube/TA anyways so don't worry about that. And please, before anyone argues about this, I had first hand experience in computer science, physics, and math so pssh. Just don't idealize that college is a place in which professors help you. Yes, they are extremely willing to help you BUT it really doesn't help if they can't speak proper english.... (wondering why they aren't in esl)
  5. You will probably never get the chance of learning from the "top" professors (not that anyone has a clue who a "top" professor is and who isn't). It doesn't really help that in STEM that the "top" professors also can't speak english or can't teach.....
  6. As Cheddar said, nothing about your experience will change. (you 100% won't feel the change for undergrad. I guarantee it. The only thing you might feel is the out-of-state/internationals complaining about tuition increase which is justifiable because $4,000 dollar a year increase is a bit..mad) The Madison experience is great. Eating Orange Cookie Dough every other day with 30% discount in Flamingo is DA THING.

Just note that for learning, at least in the more STEM fields, you will depend almost 100% on youtube. In fact, most students just don’t bother attending lecture after the first few.
20 min of MIT OpenCourseWare or Paul’s Online Notes or Kahn or youtube in general tends to be more efficient than 5 lectures from your professor.
<which actually="" makes="" a="" lot="" of="" out-of-state="" internationals="" feel="" like="" they="" are="" being="" cheated="" money.="" and="" frankly="" (including="" me),="" we="" are.="" but="" hey,="" who="" cares!="" all="" in="" for="" the="" “college=”" experience"="" outside="" class="" diploma="" ^^=""> <= I am being sarcastic but this does speak about the quality of american education right now in research oriented schools. Add that with US CoA tends to be 10x most other countries and it really … doesn’t make sense (and by “can’t speak english/can’t teach” I mean that either the professor in a huge board in lecture writes in font 9 or speaks “Hi…I.urr…uhmm…Yang … uhChapter twu… Galois…err…(mumbles rest entire period while writing endlessly on chalkboard”>

That said, luckily for the humanities side, the professors can ACTUALLY speak/teach english!

“most students just don’t bother attending…” Is that true in ALL STEM courses, or ones you took? And how would you know if you were among your stated majority who did not attend the lectures? Is it true for Honors versions? Are/were you a STEM major, or did you just take courses to meet breadth requirements without being at all interested in the subject? Ever heard of multitasking- ie watching the youtube video with an earplug while capturing any pearls, or reading the textbook during class?

I’m scared too, yo. But I definitely can’t follow that 7-and-a-half-point thesis…

I agree with post #4. I do not see where there is any data to back up the points presented. A few years ago UW increased tuition to create more sections for the freshman intro courses. The state residents may vote in a more education friendly governor next time as well.

^It’s not a matter of simply “getting a new governor.” We tried to get rid of him once and it didn’t work. The number of uneducated conservatives in our state unfortunately outweighs the number of residents aware that they are negatively affected by his destruction of public education. I kid you not, I have heard people say they would home school their kids as long as they can keep their guns…

“Is that true in ALL STEM courses, or ones you took?”
Probably just the ones I took and frankly, it really depends on the professor.
If your professor requires I-Clicker for attendance, people will come to class just for the attendance point (and to do their homework for the other class)

" And how would you know if you were among your stated majority who did not attend the lectures? "
Cause I took around 9 STEM classes and since I also have friends.

"Is it true for Honors versions? "
No. This is generally NOT true for the honors version.
Oh gosh, good luck skipping classes in the honors version. Hahaha, hahaha. Classes are definitely smaller in honors version so the professor can quickly see that you missed out.
Of course, some exceptions to this will be Physics 207, 208 honors since the honors and the regular are pretty much the exact thing (except for Friday mornings in which the honors student has to come)

“Are/were you a STEM major, or did you just take courses to meet breadth requirements without being at all interested in the subject?”
Considering I talked about Galois Theory for sarcasm on my previous post, rest assured, you are talking to a STEM major.
Galois Theory pops up in Math 541. I don’t think that people just taking STEM for breadth requirement would have any knowledge of it. It’s pretty major specific.
That said, I am technically a CS major. At least in the intro CS courses, you will see lots of times when students disappear for a week or a day and times when many students attend lecture.
This usually happens 1 week before midterm/finals or the week of projects.
And ofc all gather once again the class before the midterm/final ^^

“Ever heard of multitasking- ie watching the youtube video with an earplug while capturing any pearls, or reading the textbook during class?”
What’s the point of attending lecture if you are not even going to bother listening to it?
And for everyone else out there who are planning to buy textbooks, for the more general classes, it is not uncommon for students to not use their textbooks properly throughout the semester. So don’t go off buying new ones in the UW book-store. Used is always the best option. And from my experience (along with many others), previous editions are prettty nice.
In addition, I don’t think youtube is really the best option during lecture since TAs can see you <and cause=“” in=“” certain=“” buildings=“” like=“” van=“” vleck…=“” the=“” desks=“” are=“” 1980s=“” style=“” so=“” you=“” don’t=“” really=“” have=“” space=“”>

"I agree with post #4. I do not see where there is any data to back up the points presented. "
Well, I’m sure we all know UW-Madison like many others is a university that touts itself in research.
And recently, many new professors/TAs in STEM are coming from abroad. I’m sure you know that those people get paid mostly for research… not for teaching.

Anyways, ratemyprofessor is a life saver. Trust it with all your heart. Anything below 2.5, :l
And for large lecture halls, even if 1/3 to 1/2 of the class disappears throughout the semester, there is still a notable chunk (1/2 to 2/3) that attend. So don’t think like… 500 people came in first day… 1 arrived next day. It’s more like 300 people first day… month and half after, only like 120-200 arrived. <there has=“” been=“” exceptions=“” though=“” in=“” which=“” i=“” truly=“” did=“” have=“” a=“” class=“” around=“” 350=“” students=“” showed=“” up=“” at=“” beginning=“” of=“” year=“” and=“” throughout=“” the=“” semester,=“” only=“” 20=“” came…=“”>
And seriously, why fret over this? This is a good thing! Since STEM classes are generally graded in a curve, this only helps you!
However, note that my experience is a limited one since I love taking classes as early as possible (from 7:45 AM). And many college students can’t wake up that early… (maybe it is different for those who have STEM classes at 2 PM. I shall never know although my CS classes during that time definitely wasn’t…)
**Fortunately, for the more upper level classes, this is not the case. But unless you are first year starting out with Math 341… ya…hope you have a good professor… (and those that have the capabilities usually don’t attend UW-Madison (not to be rude or anything but it is generally true -that said, usually 2-3 are freshman there first semester so no worries!-))

Oh ya also, UW-Madison practices grade inflation. If you put even half a decent work, you should be able to get at least an AB (or A) in STEM classes (notable exceptions include some honors series, Math 321-322, etc).
https://registrar.wisc.edu/documents/Stats_distribs_2014-2015Fall.pdf

And as much as this could scare you, don’t worry guys. UW-Madison is a superb experience. Being a badger rocks. The campus is lovely. The bikes are <3 (it’s free for 24 hours once a semester if you go to Union South for code).
Trust me with this. 1 semester in UW-Madison will amaze you.

Anyways, for those who are unwilling to believe the part about some professors can’t teach properly…

like I said, ratemyprofessor is a good place

Some notably bad ones will have comments like <and as=“” much=“” i=“” hate=“” to=“” say=“” it,=“” there=“” is=“” a=“” higher=“” chance=“” getting=“” these=“” professors=“” in=“” the=“” introductory=“” levels=“” (first=“” two=“” years)=“”>:
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=457988
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=33094
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=1029779
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=513807
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=1848210

Some notable good ones will have comments like:
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=177725
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=262518
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=337804
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=131676
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=1780137
<and they=“” usually=“” give=“” more=“” grade=“” inflated=“” grades!=“”>

And the ones that usually don’t have comments:
is a risk… I took a risk 2 times in my STEM classes. They have been my hardest class so far but it was definitely worth it.

And ofc, if there are less than 5 comments in ratemyprofessor, it is a toss up.

I think ratemyprofessor reveals the teaching problem in research universities. That said, UW-Madison was rank 1 last year for best overall in ratemyprofessor so think how bad everywhere else is. Ouch!

Additional Info: Oh ya, I forgot to mention. Usually labs in most STEM classes have almost nothing to do with what you learnt or just seem to be a complete waste of time.
This is true even for good professors. But don’t worry, labs are the classes in which you get your free A’s. And considering I took classes most freshman can’t touch in freshman year, I think even for more advanced students, this will most likely be the case

[QUOTE=""]

and as professors teach different classes each semester, even the professors with low ratings in classes you will never take, you should still know that dat professor might be your professor next semester

[/QUOTE]

AccCreate- your opinions are just one student’s. I would NOT use you as an authority about being a UW math or other major student. You and your friends are not a large enough sample (you do the math).

Hmm, I was hoping for discussion of Scott Walker’s policies just skirting the line of being political. I’m not sure how some quotes from RateMyProfessors is related to Scott Walker. (I’ve heard from one professor that some of the reviews on RateMyProfessors are entered by other professors who pose as students to snipe at their colleagues. Though, that was stated by a community college professor, and not in Wisconsin.)

Yup, could easily get this thread banned… I wonder how many UW professors take time to pay attention to that site…

Apart from hearing all the poli sci kids complain–and some of the professors–you won’t really feel a difference. You probably won’t know most of your professors and no one even knows who the top ones are.

@windwater66 To respond to your original post, I’d like to mention that I got similar feedback from faculty member-friends at a couple of universities on the east coast and Stanford. Each warned us about “faculty fleeing” from Madison because of this tenure drama and the Walker-effect in general. But we go forth and deliver our child at the end of this week, pay our ever-increasing OOS tuition, and have the highest hopes that this will be the right decision in hindsight.

I tend to espouse conservative positions in economic policy… but Walker slashing UW’s funding has really ticked me off. I don’t care what party you are in, or if you’re an independent: UW is a beacon of light in the state, a source of pride, and its greatest educator; you don’t mess with our school. In this case, he is being an idiot.

I have some sense it has to do with his “I’m not college-educated, and look at me! I’ll show them!” attitude. Who needs a great college education, right? SMH

C’mon over to MN – Wisconsin residents get in-state tuition, and our governor supports the university system!

hehe. I actually live in Iowa at the moment. But I will keep you guys in mind should we decide to move.

Honestly, this will likely get cleared up… it’s just such bad publicity…

http://m.channel3000.com/education/uwmadison-fundraising-drive-generates-about-250-million/35153004

Quarter of a billion dollars pledged/donated to UW-Madison over a 7 month period.

I think the point is that UW does not need the additional state dollars as it is perfectly capable of raising income through various other means. (It being a beacon and all)

The problem with Wisconsin politics, has less to do with any particular political theory and more to do with the disjointed nature and overlapping of political jurisdictions.

For those who are unfamiliar…there are, IIRC, 7 political jurisdictions in Wisconsin. All have taxing and policy authority to varying degrees. Municipal, Township, University district, technical school district, School district, county and state. (I may have missed one in there too) To make it more complicated, the higher jurisdictions (typically the state) will mandate that the lower jurisdictions provide a service, but do not provide the revenue to fund it. (unfunded mandates).

Since professors tend to live on tenure…it would probably be welcomed to have some professors leave. I don’t think it would take long to replace most of them either way.