Searching for unicorn: Small-ish mathy colleges in northeast with 25%+ admit rate

Looks like around 10%. I have been told, or maybe read, that it’s the last 10%, meaning the first 90% are made without regard to need, and then it can be considered for the last 10%. IDK if that’s how it actually works, or if it matters.

** Is Wesleyan planning to return to a need-blind financial aid policy?*

No. Maintaining the “need-blind” label would have meant increasing the debt burdens of our students. Today we spend more on financial aid that we ever did when we were “need-blind,” and our students now have less debt. Supporting access is our #1 fundraising priority. In the recently concluded THIS IS WHY campaign, Wesleyan raised $274.7 million for access, which included 152 new endowed scholarships. By continuing to raise money for financial aid, we plan to reduce the number of students who are admitted on a “need-aware” basis (currently slightly more than 10% of applications are evaluated under need-aware).

1 Like

I believe that Wesleyan’s merit aid is limited to the Hamilton Prize, which targets applicants in the creative arts. The top prize is 4 years tuition, then the next two prize levels from there for 3 students total. It is privately funded to honor Miranda and Kail.

2 Likes

Sorry @merc81. I didn’t see your mention of Wes’s Apker history before mentioning it.

1 Like

Simply for those fascinated by scale, note that “nearby” in this context represents 576,240,000,000,000 miles.

5 Likes

Hamilton can make a good choice for a full-pay student, partly because its graduates earn the most from the 10 NESCAC LACs based on early career salaries in U.S. News. Forbes also recognized Hamilton in this value-related article: 10 Expensive Colleges Worth Every Penny 2017.

2 Likes

I believe Williams has produced five Apker recipients in the in the non-Ph.D. granting school category. It might be worth mentioning that during the years in which the Apker was awarded on a fully open basis (i.e., no distinction was made between NUs and LACs), four liberal arts colleges produced recipients: Hamilton, Reed, Macalester and Amherst. Of significant, current relevance, however, a Hamilton professor (and Williams graduate) has been recognized by the American Physical Society through its 2021 Prize for a Faculty Member for Research in an Undergraduate Institution with this summary of his impact: “For outstanding contributions to fundamental neutron physics, development of neutron polarizers using optically polarized helium-3, and extraordinary engagement and education of undergraduate students.

3 Likes

deleted.

You’re right. I was reading a dated article. And 3 in 6 years is an amazing run for W.

My point wasn’t to diminish the physics departments of other institutions, but rather to provide some context for an answer to the OP’s question about Wesleyan’s STEM standing.

2 Likes

I’d say your chances are good at Rochester, Macalester, Oberlin, RPI, Union with submitting your test score. For Case, you might want to try to nudge it up a little bit. Merit is possible at all of these, most competitive at Case. Note, Case really likes demonstrated interest. I don’t remember if they still have EA but if they do, I’d get into the early round.

As you’re considering Mac, take a look at St Olaf where acceptance and merit chances are good. Yes, it’s religiously affiliated but it’s not heavy handed and their math and science programs are very strong.

WUSTL, Hamilton, Wesleyan and Haverford are more in the reach category. The latter three don’t offer merit scholarships. WUSTL does, but extremely competitive to get admitted, much less obtain a merit scholarship. WUSTL is also big on demonstrated interest.

I agree with @Mwfan1921 if your SAT is below the median at any given school, apply test optional. You also might want to give the ACT a try if you intend to retest. Do a practice test and see how it compares.

Best of luck!

4 Likes

“Just” 98 light years away. :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 on St. Olaf, though not in the NE. Very good math department.

Does Rose-Hulman have a math major? Small engineering school in Indiana.

2 Likes

I know it has been mentioned several times but I would suggest taking a good look at Lafayette specifically. It’s in the Northeast, has over 25% admit rate and has a strong math program. Lafayette has a highly regarded undergrad engineering program which generally means an emphasis on math.

Our son wanted a small school but not too small. At 2600 students now with plans to grow to 2800 puts it at the higher end of LACs in terms of enrollment. We visited over a dozen LACs Lafayette was only one of three that we took a second visit to. Lafayette had a special vibe to it. There is a good deal of school spirit but not as much rah rah more of a community spirit. I checked our old notes from our visit " seems to have a really nice mix of kids"

5 Likes

If you have any interest in business/entrepreneurship, I would check out Babson College. It has some very highly rated programs. Around 3000 students. Acceptance rate is around 26% and it’s located in Wellesley, MA.

3 Likes