See, all colleges have their issues

<p>Every now and then a thread on CC makes me burst out laughing. This was one of them, and I thought I would share with you all! </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1213438-upenn-faux-pas-no-show-professor-has-been-dead-months.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1213438-upenn-faux-pas-no-show-professor-has-been-dead-months.html</a></p>

<p>Very good, and humorous post in context of what we’ve been “chatting” about lately here on the UA board. :-)</p>

<p>*PHILADELPHIA (AP) — University of Pennsylvania students who were puzzled by a no-show professor later found out why he missed the first day of class: He died months ago.</p>

<p>The students were waiting for Henry Teune (TOO’-nee) to teach a political science class at the Ivy League school in Philadelphia on Sept. 13.</p>

<p>University officials say that about an hour after the class’s start time, an administrator notified students by email that Teune had died. The email apologized for not having canceled the class.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>lolololol</p>

<p>(Just to clarify…the death wasn’t funny.)</p>

<p>I took several classes at Cal where the prof showed up even after he’d died. I prefer the Penn model. :-)</p>

<p>LOL…</p>

<p>I just can’t believe that this professor’s assignments hadn’t been reassigned.</p>

<p>Dad2, that is what I thought too! LOL
malanai…too funny! </p>

<p>if you read the comments, this poor guy died in April! Not even over the summer! Some really bright UPenn student pointed out that “many students already knew he was dead, obviously not the ones that went to the class”. Ya think?</p>

<p>Oh, Malanai, only at Berkeley!</p>

<p>Just saw this thread, and had to add to this one. Oh my. Who in the world that this was a good idea? Even if it was a social experiment?
[Racially</a> heated posting sparks UC Berkeley outrage](<a href=“http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/23/BATO1L8RLL.DTL&tsp=1]Racially”>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/23/BATO1L8RLL.DTL&tsp=1)</p>

<p>Berzerkeley. Not quite the way I remember it. As the article demonstrates, racism exists even in the most self-professed bastions of tolerance and diversity.</p>

<p>Heh, I give the student Reps at Berkley some points for effort in snark. I think their analogy is a bit weak, but good job.</p>

<p>I don’t think the Republican cupcake sale was racist in any way, maybe insensitive, but the whole point of it was to point out their perception of affirmative action admissions standards as unfair. I think we should be very careful when we use the “racist” or “anti -Semite” or even “anti-White” charge. Too often, it leads to the boy who cried wolf syndrome.</p>

<p>John Stossel did something similar to this a few years ago in a shopping mall. It made people of all races cringe, but it also made many people realize how unfair certain government entitlement programs have become.</p>

<p>OK, so even if you are “OK” with the bake sale, did you read all of the other recent incidents noted at the end of the article?</p>

<p>But how many of those incidents were real? About a year ago, a Jewish student at George Washington Univ. said someone had spray painted a swastika on her door. Hidden camera showed she did it her self! [Jewish</a> Student Caught Putting Swastikas On Her Own Door And Claiming AntiSemitic Attack - YouTube](<a href=“Jewish Student Caught Putting Swastikas On Her Own Door And Claiming AntiSemitic Attack - YouTube”>Jewish Student Caught Putting Swastikas On Her Own Door And Claiming AntiSemitic Attack - YouTube) </p>

<p>I think the noose might have been a fraud as well, but not sure. Point is, if an investigation reveals that a “hate crime” is real, then I am all for expelling someone. But I think those who decided to react to the bake sale with violence are showing hatred and irrationality, probably because they have been taught to see racism in everything.</p>

<p>*
Shawn Lewis, president of the Berkeley College Republicans, was surprised by the number of critics and their harshness and said he agrees that race-based pricing is discriminatory.</p>

<p>“But it’s discriminatory in the same way that considering race in university admissions is discriminatory,” he said.
*</p>

<p>It’s not racist…it’s exposing absurdity with absurdity…a time old practice. </p>

<p>Imagine if the opposite were going on…What if schools were thought to be limiting URM access and implemented a plan that demanded that URMs have super-stats to gain admissions. Would people call it racist if the cupcakes were priced in the opposite direction? Or if “Admission tickets” were being sold and priced by ethnic/gender group in the opposite direction?</p>

<p>I find it more shocking that there were threats of violence…burning the bake sale and such. </p>

<p>BTW…did I miss what they were charging for the Asian cupcakes? The discrimination is often against Asians at the UCs as the UCs do gymnastics to to keep the Asian enrollments from being even higher. </p>

<p>I would not be surprised if at some point, some Asian Calif kids don’t sue the UCs for denied admission to the top 3 and to the UC med schools when these kids’ stats are higher than others who are admitted.</p>

<p>Sorry if anyone got the impression I was calling the young Berkeleley Republicans racist. That’s not my view.</p>

<p>I was referring to the other incidents referenced later in the article that got the attention of the UC administration.</p>

<p>Peace. :)</p>

<p>I wasn’t commenting on your post Malanai…I was commenting on the kids in the article who felt that way.</p>

<p>(to be honest, I missed your post…lol.)</p>

<p>I knew you weren’t, m2ck. In re-reading my post I realized it could be misconstrued. Just wanted to be clear for the record.</p>