Seeking feedback on Georgia Tech and UIUC (CS major)

Maybe you are looking for something like this:

pages 8 and 21.
Not fully detailed though.

I wouldn’t put a lot of weight into that survey. My current GT kid knows several kids who have interned on the west coast for FAANG companies. Georgia Tech always makes the top 10 list for which universities have the most graduates at top tech firms. This link reflecting top 15 tech firms puts Georgia Tech at 8 and UIUC at 10.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/top-10-universities-that-produce-the-most-staff-for-global-tech-firms/amp/

I think you can pretty much go anywhere with a degree from Georgia Tech or a degree from UIUC in engineering/computer science. All of those 15 top companies recruit in person multiple times a year on Georgia Tech’s campus.

Take a look at the following. Doesn’t really give you the geo cut but if you look at the employers and where they are located there is a pretty strong west coast presence. And if you scan the UIUC forums from last year, there are at least 4-5 CA parents (including me) with kids deciding between UIUC and other schools. And each one of us had the same impression of UIUC being a feeder for Big Tech in the west coast.

Also this

That’s interesting since the article I posted listed Georgia Tech as having more employees at top 15 firms than UIUC and Georgia Tech as top five feeder for both Amazon and Microsoft. UIUC is listed for Microsoft but under GT.

Of course all of those are not West Coast jobs and if that’s your goal then Berkeley makes more sense.

If you really want to know the answer you can do a LinkedIn search. Looks like Bay area Google office has equal number of UIUC and GT grads. Same for Microsoft.

You should also consider the CS median salary out of these two schools. If they are placing a lot of kids in the top 10 employers, the median will be closer to 200k, which is what the likes of Google/Amazon offer. If the median is closer to 100k, which it is, then the proportion of such jobs out of the 500-800 kids each year in each of these programs is likely small.

1 Like

The median #s are not going to tell you that. Even if you have 100 kids in a class of 400 going to those 200k jobs the median could still be in the 100k mark. A better measure would be to get hold of detailed surveys where they list hiring counts by major by employer.

2 Likes

It is not a bi-modal distribution. One would expect pay to gradually going down as you go down the list. If there were a lot of kids at 200k, there will also be kids at 180k, 150k and so on. The median will be a decent bit above 100k and so on.

The quant guys pay far above 200k.
The west coast techies (even in their east coast offices) around 200k
The east coast banks, Capital One, Bloomberg etc are in the 150k range
And you go down the list.
The consultants like Andersen I think are a bit lower
And so on.

At least at Cal,

Jane Street and other quants - 250k to 300k base
McKinsey, Bain, BCG - 125k
C3.AI and other tech - 120k to 150k
FAANG - 200k

The list goes down slowly. A school that places a lot at the top of the list will also have presence at intermediate lower levels. They are not going to drop down to a 100k right away. That is the only point I am trying to make.

Those large tech employers do scoop up many grads, but many others choose different (and well paying) paths at smaller companies that are not in that list (quants for ex). Also, many others go the startup route.

1 Like

Agree. And $200,000 in the Bay Area is probably equivalent to $100k in Atlanta when you index cost of living.

For many it’s the opportunities and the chance to be part of something great rather than simply the cost of living.

1 Like

Cost of living obviously depends on location. However, the types of CS jobs that are available are also highly dependent on location. Certain more highly paid job types/functions are only available in large quantities in a few locations.

1 Like

It is in the range where it is much more than the median household income in the area, but entering the range where people here claim to be “middle class but cannot afford college for their kids who will not get financial aid”.

My husband is an executive who hires people and recent grads typically do not make that much for Cs. Caveat we are not in Cali but east coast metro DC Baltimore area which is high cost of living and lots of industries that hire CS.

1 Like

Just like in any other profession, there are ranges based on employer, region, and expertise.

And also you have to separate out salary from other aspects of the offer. For Google, for example, stock options aren’t worth anything unless they are vested so shouldn’t be included in salary. They also give a signing bonus, relocation expenses, etc. which are great but also not a salary.

To circle back, the opportunity to go to one of the top five tech firms is equally available from UIUC and Georgia Tech. Remember, however, these are super competitive jobs and technical skill and education are not the only thing to be considered. Can you hold a conversation? Do you present well? Are your social skills up to par? It’s all the intangibles that are going to separate candidates, and no one is “not getting the job” because they are at one school or another.

The base salary ranges I posted all directly came from job listings posted on the Cal Handshake portal by the companies themselves for full time jobs they are currently recruiting for. These salaries are fairly typical for the companies mentioned.

I’m not sure how you reach that conclusion. Stock options, whether they’re in the money or not, always have value.