Seeking input - Harvey Mudd College

I love Mudd but it’s not for everyone. It’s almost a cultist environment in a good way and the kids tend to have a hyper creative streak. But it’s very small, somewhat isolated in one edge of the Claremont 5 area and has some of the ugliest buildings I’ve ever seen. The facilities though are top notch and the recruiting opportunities are outstanding. But are they really worth 320k over 4 years relative to CU Boulder. Probably not.

1 Like

@AgeofAquarius - has a decision been made? I’ve been curious how the thought process has developed :slightly_smiling_face:

You’re kind to remember us. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s been the nonstop topic on our minds, and a daily conversation hashing and rehashing the pros/cons, and getting cold feet…but the commitment to Mudd is happening tomorrow. :yellow_heart: :black_heart: :yellow_heart: :black_heart: And thank you for the TikTok link - those made me smile!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts. It was a tough decision for sure, and I am glad to never have to to go through this again!

Ultimately, the admitted students day between the top two choices really did make clear which school my kid really connected with. And I think the Mudd student body, the kids who were there that day, all the current students who were conducting tours and hosting activities outside their dorms (a petting zoo, boba teas, smoothies made by blenders powered by solar panels, lessons on using some sort of mini-skates, and so much more) really showed their personality. My kid kept saying how NICE and humble everyone was, and how if someone was standing outside the conversation, they weren’t for long because they would get enveloped into the group convo. I feel the amount of support there from other students and professors will put the college experience on a completely different level than what it would be at the other school.

Funny thing - I thought Mudd wasn’t as ugly this time around. :laughing: There are actually some really nice spaces on campus, and it’s an easy walk to the other schools if a change of pace is needed.

The class of 2026 will be the first class to start with the revised core curriculum, and I really hope that bears positive results for the students. Sounds like there will be a new president soon (2023?); that worries me a little since the current president has made such an impact over the past 16 years, whoever replaces her has big shoes to fill.

12 Likes

Congrats on Mudd! It’s an outstanding school.

3 Likes

Yay!!! Congratulations!:tada::balloon::confetti_ball::champagne:

3 Likes

Yay Mudder. So happy for your kid. It’s a great school. It was on the top 5 of Ds choices.

2 Likes

Happy to hear that your student had a great impression - and that its looks have gotten a little better!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@AgeofAquarius - I have a class of 2024 kid very interested in Mudd (we’ve visited) and I would love any/all feedback you feel up to sharing. Some specific points of interest:

1. the new core, has it helped reduce pressure?
  2. daughter is an athlete and continuing to play the sport is very important. we’ve been in touch with the coach. the question is really: is there time for it? Will it be all work and sport, and no sleep and no fun?
  3. if the major of interest isn’t engineering, is Mudd a bad fit/not worth the grind/tradeoffs?

thank you!

The core curriculum is still quite extensive: Common Core Curriculum | Academics | Harvey Mudd College

Not listed on that page are ten additional HSA courses that are required: The HSA Curriculum | HSA | Harvey Mudd College

The OP hasn’t posted on this thread for more than a year. You will definitely have more success starting your own thread on the topic.

Since the OP has already received the info that they wanted, and has not returned to the thread for more than a year, I’m closing this thread