Seen any good movies lately?

Good to know @milgymfam, I had been wondering about seeing that one and wanted some feedback first. Need to catch Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood first though.

Recommending Parasite! I wasn’t the fan of Snowpiercer that many were, but Parasite was really interesting. Visually fabulous, and the story kept it moving for me. A weird combo of genres. I’m usually disappointed when I see something that has been majorly hyped, so this was a pleasant surprise.

I saw Marriage Story over the weekend. It was wonderful, but definitely not a feel good flick!

Why do people hate Snowpiercer so much? It doesn’t exactly make sense or anything, but it’s always visually striking and often quite beautiful. It also has a real individuality about it – it’s not some generic Marvel movie that any one of 20 competent directors could have made, with any one of 50 competent people in all of the top skill positions on the crew. It’s not one of my favorite movies of all times, but I enjoyed it.

We were thinking about going to the movies on Saturday (probably Neighborhood – my wife has a connection to the Fred Rogers Foundation), but our daughter had a baby . . . .

I saw the Mr. Rogers movie the opening weekend. My personal opinion was good, not great. No way could it compete with a new baby in the family! Congrats @JHS !

Another vote for Knives Out. Just a lot of fun. Daniel Craig is actually funny; I never saw this side of him before. As a child of the 80s myself, I loved seeing Jamie Lee Curtis and Don Johnson together as an aging couple. Christopher Plummer is delicious as the scheming patriarch. Ana de Armas pulls at your heartstrings. Chris Evans and Toni Collette are hilarious. Great, great cast.

@NJSue if you enjoy Daniel
Craig in Knives Out, I highly recommend Logan Lucky.

@milgymfam I did see Logan Lucky. Daniel Craig was the imprisoned expert they used to plot the theft at Talladega. Another fun movie with a big-budget, cast-against-type roster.

We saw Knives Out today and found it very entertaining. You could tell the cast had fun making the movie. It’s a classic Agatha Christie type of movie with modern sensibilities and a lot more humor than I expected; laughed out loud several times. I’m pretty sure I understood just about everything Daniel Craig said - once I got used to James Bond with a Southern accent!

Also just saw Knives Out - what a fun romp! Old school murder mystery told new school style. The cast is amazing.

I recently purchased a monthly pass for Alamo Drafthouse that allows me to see one movie per day. I can purchase up to 7 days in advance online from anywhere with a small convenience charge. This is far better than MoviePass but I do have to drive a little further to get to the theater.

So far I have seen Ford v. Ferrari, the Irishman, Harriet, Joker, Knives Out, and last night Dark Waters. All were enjoyable but I really loved Ford v. Ferrari, Knives Out, and Dark Waters.

I watched Knives Out last night and it’s a fun and entertaining “who dunnit” murder mystery with a great cast with standout performances from Daniel Craig as the private detective and Ana de Armas as Marta (nurse).

On a separate note and slightly off topic, if you are a Star Wars fan “The Mandalorian” series is a must see on Disney Plus.

Saw Frozen II today and liked it. Though like a typical Disney movie, if you’re not into characters randomly breaking into song, well, then you’re not going to like it LOL!

Saw Queen and Slim, I was on needles and pins the whole time rooting for the two characters, love the acting and broke down at the end! Not a perfect movie, but perfection is overrated anyway.

The Up Series where the lives of 14 British children are updated every 7 years. I finally took the time to watch the series now that the latest 63 Up was recently released and maybe the last in the series considering the age of the principals and director.

You can watch it as both a commentary on the class system and a poignant reminder of the passage of time. Each segment recaps on the previous years, lots of repetitions since if you watch every 7 years in real time, you need reminders. I fast forward since I’m binge watching. I am a few years younger than the people in the films but it makes me take stock of my life, reflects on the ups and downs.

The last movie we saw was Harriet and we really liked it. Hollywood added a couple of characters, but the bulk of her story was kept in tact as per fact vs fiction sites. I appreciate that. Often they change pretty much everything in their historical films.

Looking forward to seeing what they did with the new Jumanji. Loved the last two, but so often sequels disappoint.

I can’t recommend Marriage Story or The Irishman. Both were dull and predictable .
I did like a series streaming on Netflix. Dirty John, which is a very absorbing true story .

Saw Knives out, had a great time. Great acting, strong plot, got the key clues right, but didn’t expect the twists and hadn’t figured the culprit at all!

Also saw Luce. Really, really well done. Kudos to the young actor. There are so many ways you could interpret it - a revenge plot, a good kid gone wrong story, a bad kid gone right story, the story of an obsession, a friendship story, a parenting story… You’ll think of it for a long time.

Marriage Story - worth watching for Adam Driver’s superb performance alone.

In the wikipedia of 7up, it says all the women divorced at least once. It is unfortunate there were only 4 women included in the 14 subjects. The also only included one mixed race person. With such a small sample size, it’s really hard to be very inclusive but I’m sure as a longitudinal effort it is interesting among those chosen.