Seen any good movies lately?

Finally saw Ford vs Ferrari. It was much better then I anticipated. I like true stories and I am into these cars and time period. Just saw alot of them at a recent Mecca car auction. Mustangs with Shelby engines being bought still for lots of money.

We really enjoyed “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society”. Think it is on Amazon Prime, Netflix or both. Perfectly fits the historic romance-drama genre.

Not quite as wonderful as “About Time”, which I highly recommended here a while ago, but we’d easily rate TGLPPPS in the mix with the other films being recommended.

I also really enjoyed “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.”

Finally saw Parasite. It was jus meh for me.

It was such a crappy day today that I went on Netflix looking for mindless entertainment. I ended up watching Spenser Confidential (currently ranked #2 on Netflix), which got absolutely panned by reviewers, but I thought it was enjoyable. It does not demand too much of you, and while the stereotypical characters are not nuanced, I found myself charmed anyway. Mark Wahlberg plays himself. The Boston setting and the dogs made it for me. A very good cast (Alan Arkin, Bokeem Woodbine from Fargo).
PS this has nothing to do with Robert Parker’s Spenser books, although the character names (Spenser, Hawk, Henry) are taken from the series. They are not the same characters.

@NJSue I felt the same way about it. I admit to having a bit of a crush on Winston Duke nudged me toward watching it last week.

I too went in search of entertaining fluff, and wasn’t disappointed by Charlie’s Angels. I almost can’t believe I even think it, but Kristen Stewart was really entertaining.

Saw Spenser Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor in “Father’s Little Dividend,” last night. It was such a simpler time back a few decades ago. The movie itself tapped most of the stereotypes for everything it touched but was charming in its own way.

I finally watched “Marriage Story” yesterday afternoon. I knew that many considered it depressing and I felt the same way. The line about how divorce is like a death without a body really hit home with me (not a spoiler IDK since I’d heard that line from the promos before I watched the movie). I didn’t like the story, for the most part, because of the depressing content, but the last 10 minutes are SO powerful. I can see why it got so many nominations.

I remember my grandma saying death was easier than divorce, back when I was a kid and a family member was going through a brutal divorce. As an adult, I understand her position. I really liked Marriage Story because it felt so raw and real. Adam Driver is one of my new favorites.

H, D and I enjoyed Knives Out this week. It was just the kind of whodunit silliness that we wanted.

Troop Zero on Prime is absolutely adorable!

We just watched “Yesterday”. It was a decent way to spend two hours.

We just watched Just Mercy and cried like a baby. Very much recommend.

@2VU0609 I also thought that Marriage Story was very affecting. What stays with me is the scene where the social worker comes to observe the Adam Driver character and his son. I also thought that Driver’s rendition of “Being Alive” (Sondheim) was a great moment. Although I know the film is trying to be balanced, my sympathies were primarily with the father. There is a lot of debate about this. The film should really be called 'Divorce Story" rather than Marriage Story. Also I know that Noah Baumbach is directing a roman a clef designed to make himself look good.

I saw 1917 last night, and meh. It was like a play. I was expecting such great things.

We saw The Upside the other night. It was worth watching, some fun and some touching moments.

Any good movies that a freshman girl should watch from the last 30 yrs or so? I’d love some ideas. First one on our list is : Titanic. she’s not seen that.

High school or college freshman?

We finally got around to watching About Time a couple of nights ago and rewatched favorite scenes last night. It was awesome. I’m thinking it was this thread where it was recommended to folks. (I’ve skipped many pages lately, so apologize if more about it was on them.)

In any event, thanks. It’s a movie we might buy to keep in our small cache. Loved the humor. Loved the message. (Didn’t like some of the language or sex, but sometimes we’re willing to overlook those in an otherwise good film. Just mentioning those aspects here because I know some folks who absolutely stay away from movies with those in it.)

Has she seen some of the more historical movies like Schindler’s List, The Killing Fields, or Hotel Rwanda? They aren’t feel good movies, but they can really help older kids understand parts of history. I’m positive there are others like it. Those three just jump into my mind as some we had our kids watch growing up.