Seen any good movies lately?

Saw 1917 yesterday. But the theater just had the second row available. Due to the editing the whole room was spinning for me. Great movie but don’t sit this close. ?

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, checked out from the library. I just didn’t get it. I kept falling asleep, too. Odd since I normally enjoy Brad and Leo.

Watched a “based on real fact” movie this weekend on Prime. Bottle Shock. If you like wine movies, you’ll enjoy this one. Fun to watch and have some wine watching. Centers around California wines becoming internationally recognized in the 1970’s.

We saw Ford vs Ferrari and 1917 this weekend. Very much enjoyed F vs F; 1917 was just okay for us. I think our expectations were high due to the hype. I liked the way it was shot and thought it was very suspenseful, but I didn’t think the acting was award-worthy (though I love the lead character - his movie Captain Fantastic is one of our family’s favs). It seemed a little like a Saving Private Ryan knockoff.

I went to see Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and the Band, if you grew up listening to any of the American folk rock of the 70s you might really enjoy this documentary. Very interesting story (from Robbie Robertson’s perspective) and it made me go back and download some Band music as well as dust off my dvd of The Last Waltz (they make a wonderful double feature!).

This weekend, I watched Capernaum on DVD. I put it on my list about 18 months ago. It’s the third movie by Lebanese director Nadine Labaki, whose first two movies (Caramel and What Will We Do Now?) were both terrific; this film won the Jury Prize (essentially 3rd place) at Cannes in 2018.

It’s an excellent film, with great acting, including maybe the best performance I have ever seen by a young actor and really amazing performances coaxed out of other children, including an 18-month-old. That said, it’s a tough, tough watch – disturbing and sad, notwithstanding something of a tacked-on happy(ish) ending. The film centers on Zain, a malnourished 12-year-old boy, the oldest child in a family consisting of a couple of low-level criminals and their 6 or 7 children, all girls except for the protagonist. Zain has a temper and a pottymouth, but he’s smart, resourceful, perceptive, loving, and hardworking. At the outset of the film, you know that he has been sentenced to juvenile prison for stabbing someone, but you don’t know whom until near the end, and Zain’s life gives him plenty of candidates who richly deserve retribution.

There have been a number of films in recent years that feature coming of age stories amid awful poverty, including Slumdog Millionaire and Lion. This is less glossy and sensational, but more unrelenting. You don’t get to see Zain grow into a man; you don’t even ever get to see his head above water. He is just hustling all the time to keep himself and those for whom he feels responsible alive, and his remarkable successes only serve to delay the inevitable.

@Mwfan1921 – that was how I felt just after seeing the preview! Tense. Did you see previews for the Lodge? Seriously scary movie.

Just watched the Lodge trailer…really scary…I don’t think I can do that one!

@MohnGedachtnis thanks for the review of this very interesting-sounding movie - I’d not heard of it but you made me want to watch it.

Saw Emma last night. What a disappointment. The costuming and set designs were at an 11, whereas the rest of the film (for me) a 2. Thank goodness I have the Regal Pass so I don’t feel so bad seeing a sub par film. It was just so heavy feeling, unlike the recent Little Women, which felt breezy and fun to watch (for the most part).

Now I’m in search of The Burnt Orange Heresy, but it doesn’t seem to be playing locally yet.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

I’m sure it’s already been recommended here. This is on my personal list of all time best films ever.

I saw The Way Back today and my friend and I both enjoyed it.

Planning to see Emma tomorrow though I fear I’ll be disappointed. It has good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes but like @JustaMom shared, I have heard from others that it’s disappointing.

My husband and I saw the Way Back last night. We hated it and loved it at the same time. We were in tears when we left the theater. Although our situation is different, we could relate to the main character’s family circumstances (don’t want to give any spoilers). We thought Affleck did an amazing job - too good!

“Life Itself” on Amazon Prime. It was written and directed by “This is Us” and “Crazy Stupid Love” writer Dan Fogelman.

I wasn’t sure where it was going for the first 25 minutes, but then it just took off and really kept me enthralled. Great cast - Olivia Wilde, Many Patinkin, Annette Bening, Antonio Banderas, Oscar Isaac.

“About Time.” Not a new movie (2013) but a beautifully sweet, funny, romantic story from Richard Curtis (Love Actually) where the men in this particular family are able to travel back and forth in time to change things in their lives. I’ll watch anything with Bill Nighy, and he’s a delight (again) in this movie. It’s one of my favorites.

@ChoatieMom, I completely agree. I tend to hate romcoms (and definitely disliked Love Actually), but I loved this one. It reminded me more of my favorite movie of all time (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) than your average romcom. I’m so glad I stumbled onto it- after this thread, I think! Ha.

I enjoyed Ford vs Ferrari.
We got it from Redbox.

Saw Harriet - powerful, should probably be included in Middle School US history (tense and powerful narrative, easy to follow, no gratuitous violence, “coming of age/into yourself” theme they would be appealing, but great depiction of a person and a time period). Everything rang true, even if I understand some artistic license was taken. I was reading The Fatal flame which involves workers in a factory cutting and sewing slave clothing so I was keenly aware of the clothes as signifiers.

JoJo Rabbit - definitely not for children. Probably tried for ‘Life is beautiful’ absurdist comedy but not quite successful. Excellent actors. Last third is a wasted opportunity.

Richard Jewell - an obtuse, slow-witted “ideal suspect” who’s horrible at the law enforcement he purports to be into because he can’t distinguish between letter of the law and the law itself and who’s simultaneously a thoughtful, kind guy with people he likes; an ambitious reporter who’s ready to do anything to get her “nothing ever happens here” city (then nothing like what it is now), her local paper, and of course herself, to the front pages; a brash, down-on-his luck lawyer and his assistant; an FBI director who makes a mistake, refuses to admit to it, and digs a hole for someone else because he won’t take responsibility. The whole film is about us wanting heroes but being ready to burn them. It made me think of the way social media has taken on the role of paparazzi and of the local press, without corrective.
The last scene is unintentionally chilly - you DON’T want him there.
I liked how “real” the rime’eriod felt 1986 and especially 1996 (when I can really remember things “as if thy were yesterday”).

@ChoatieMom I saw About Time a little while back based on recommendations from here and really enjoyed it.

Saw Emma today and enjoyed it. Not sure it was any better than any previous version, but I was glad I went to see it.

Yesterday afternoon I saw Portrait of a Lady on Fire - this is one of the most beautifully filmed movies I’ve ever seen. It is a slow burn (no pun intended), and every shot takes its time…and gets it right. The dialog is well written. It’s in French, so prepare to hone your language skills. Apparently there’s a backstory between the director and one of the leading actresses that provoked the film being written/directed (by a woman) - a woman’s story for sure. Quite lovely. Interestingly I had the entire theater to myself, which was kind of fun. I think because of the filming (hi-def) and scenery this film should be seen on the big screen. No spoiler, but the scene with this a capella chant of ‘non possunt fugere’ is possibly one of the most spine-chilling I’ve ever experienced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr04s6IfxAQ