Seen any good movies lately?

It’s not a movie, but each episode is evocative of a different style of movie, and they’re all just so good, that I have to ardently recommend Lovecraft Country. We actually watch each episode twice because there is so much to them that they almost demand a repeat viewing.

I remember seeing “Music and Lyrics” when it came out and enjoying it.

The recommendation for “Two Weeks Notice” should come with a trigger warning. A well known New York developer makes a cameo. :frowning:

@mathmom I have a similar trigger reaction when watching Home Alone 2–guy who owned the Park Plaza at the time insisted on a cameo.

Netflix: “Enola Holmes”

For those who missed, it or just want to rewatch, Just Mercy is on HBO tonight. It is preceded by the documentary film “True Justice: Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality”.

I saw Peanut Butter Falcon. It was somewhat improbable to me but I could understand the appeal. If you suspended belief it worked.

Didn’t care much for Peanut Butter Falcon. Stayed with it to the end, but it just didn’t grab me.

I liked Peanut Butter Falcon, but my husband did not.

" If you suspended belief it worked." - I remember having a discussion like that after seeing Yesterday (the Beatles movie last year). We really enjoyed it. When friends pointed out it was not a believable scenario, I said True… but neither is Spiderman.

I liked some parts of PB Falcon but strongly disliked other parts. It seemed worth watching in balance.

Ditto what was posted earlier–watched Enola Holmes tonight. Fun, cute movie.

Just have to say if you’re looking for a really good movie watch The Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Sam Neill. Directed by Taika Waititi. New Zealand bush. Funny. Feel good. Best movie in a long time.

I was watching an old Sex in the City the other day and guess who had a cameo? I think it was season 2, so a long time ago.

Not a full movie, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Father of the Bride Part 3(ish) gift from Netflix to benefit World Central Kitchen. Not on Netflix, but on their YouTube channel and Facebook page. I cried all the way through it for a variety of reasons, including that I miss the times my children and I would pick my mother up and head to the movies back in the '90s. So many good times and COVID makes me extra nostalgic.

Enola Holmes netflix…entertaining, well acted, nicely filmed and clever

The only good thing about Enola Holmes was watching Henry Cavill, especially in that blue suit toward the end of the movie. Other than that, I found it to be just another predictable, anachronistic girl-power movie. Meh.

Loved Enola Holmes!

Seconding Father of the Bride Part 3ish @2VU0609 . I laughed one minute, cried the next. Only about 25 minutes and a benefit for World Central Kitchen. Acting great and heartfelt, with a couple surprise appearances!

We also loved Enola Holmes. My D21 read all the Enola Holmes books when she was younger so she was especially excited for the movie to be released. We all thought it was very well done.

Enjoyed Amazon Prime…The Booksellers, about the unique world of rare book sellers and collectors. Fascinating

Saw an interesting documentary on Amazon Prime last night, Shalom Bollywood - it’s a few years old, but new to me, about the Jewish women (specifically) that starred in Indian films when it was forbidden for Hindu and Islamic (still not acceptable for Islamic women) women to be on camera (prior to that men held the roles). There’s a (relatively small) Jewish population in India, and this was a very interesting look at their part in film there.

1 Like