Seen any good movies lately?

I saw Dark Waters in the theatre when it played for a few days. I echo everything you wrote. I thought Mark Ruffalo’s performance was fantastic and was surprised that he, and the movie, did not get more recognition during award season.

I didn’t know it was available on Netflix and will rewatch soon.

2 Likes

Some of our frying pans are T-Fal, so I didn’t toss those as I didn’t have time to look them up and we had to head out to FIL’s (he’s having minor surgery tomorrow). Youngest looked it up for me.

T-Fal is short for Teflon and Aluminum and was created in France by Chemours - an offshoot of Du Pont. You can guess where those are going when I get back home.

On the Netflix disc there were bonus features telling a bit more behind the scenes with the real people involved and how they actively tried to be true to the real story, etc. I don’t know if they offer that with streaming. If so, it’s worth watching too.

1 Like

Spooky/scary movies for tonight? Any reviews on The Awakening?

Your pans are safe to use. Any PFOA, even if it was used in the manufacturing, was gone by the time you got the pans. Teflon itself is inert. Even if you swallow some that chips off the pan, it is like swallowing sand - it will come out as it came in. What caused the issues described in the story is not the pots themselves but the toxic waste from their making. Very typical of big manufacturing (and infuriating to me because it creates cumbersome environmental regulations that unduly burden biotech research).

5 Likes

Totally agree here. Doesn’t mean I want to keep using the pans or buy any others knowing what they did.

Probably doesn’t help that they have a place in Ontario that dumped excess chemicals in the St Lawrence River for years telling people it was totally safe - and my mom, plus others from my hometown, have come down with unexplained esophageal cancers a few decades later. Water is pulled from the river not far downstream. Was it safe? Maybe, but it’s not like they were telling if it wasn’t.

Mom’s type of cancer tends to be a male, smoker’s cancer. Mom was neither, nor did Dad smoke, and she didn’t work in a smoking environment. We all still wonder where she got it from - even her doctor didn’t know.

As far as I know it’s not a Teflon facility, but I doubt that’s the only lie the company was willing to make. Actually, I don’t know what the company does there. I just tried Google. They only list it as a Chemical Company. DuPont, Canada of Maitland, Ontario if anyone wants to search further.

1 Like

I haven’t seen it and not sure if I can deal with it as similar stuff has been happening around here for years (look up GenX and Wilmington NC), but I am curious which character was hard for you to understand? I watched the trailer and was trying to figure out if it was any of the characters in it. No problem for me, but it’s not far from my native tongue.

The original farmer who brought the case to the lawyer. Willie Tennant IRL, but Bill Camp in the movie.

Southern H understood more, but after we added subtitles (and restarted the movie so he didn’t have to keep translating for me) even he said he had missed parts of it. H is native to VA, but from 4th grade on was in eastern NC. Few southern accents get by him even if I’m stymied. On the other side, I sometimes have to translate for him when we’re up north because they speak too fast or waitresses, etc, don’t understand him.

If one doesn’t want, or can’t get, subtitles it’s easy to understand the gist and he doesn’t play much of a part after the beginning (getting the lawyer to take on the lawsuit).

We saw Dark Waters not long after it came out. Funny, I don’t remember having any trouble understanding anyone. However, we have lot of very hard to understand accents here. It took me 2 years before I understood what my X-BIL was saying.

I agree it is a great movie.

<signed, country bumpkin :rofl: >

1 Like

FWIW, you don’t get much more of a country upbringing than I had in one of the lesser populated counties east of the Mississippi. 42 people per square mile - I just looked it up. It’s just a northern county.

Where I live now it’s 197/sq mile.

Wood County, WV - where Parkersburg is - has 237/sq mile. :wink:

1 Like

Sigh, I miss saying “y’all.” It’s such a handy word. Much better than “you guys,” which is standard up here.

2 Likes

Or “yous guys” which is common here.

I’ve adapted (and use) y’all from H. No one seems to mind. I won’t say “yous guys,” but do use “you guys” fairly often since I was raised with it.

1 Like

I found a longer clip on YouTube of the farmer and I agree that his voice is a little thick and gravely. I could understand it, but I can see where it would be hard for someone not used to the accent. I think it was the combination of his rumbly, gravely voice and the accent.

1 Like

I agree. I know they wanted to really show off the character , but it’s one area they could have made just a tad more understandable and still gotten their point across just fine IMO. At the beginning of the movie it was really turning me off that I couldn’t follow it. Had my kids not suggested subtitles I would probably have left the room and let them watch it.

Once I had subtitles, all was fine.

I have to do the same with other movies occasionally - Lord of the Rings comes to mind. Most movies are perfectly fine though - as were all of the other characters in Dark Waters, Appalachian accents and all.

I went and listened to a couple of clips. He sounds like a few contractors that I work with, one in particular. Gruff and gravely for sure.

2 Likes

I literally got laughed at when I said, “y’all.” My least favorite use of “you guys” is when used like, “Let’s go over to you guys’ [pronounced ‘guys-es’] house.” Just ugh.

Weirdly here in NY I hear Yous guys You guys and Y’all fairly frequently. I like Y’all, I think it serves a useful purpose and feels more gender neutral than guys, which is definitely used in a more or less gender neutral way.

I had a friend from the Eastern shore of Virginia and he would often ask us for a pin/pen. We never knew which it was and in the architecture studio either was equally possible. There was a lot of, “Would that be a stick pin or a fountain pin, Robert?” I miss him. He went back to VA to take care of his parents and I haven’t seen him in years.

2 Likes

H says these the exact same way too. In his family he learned to say “ink pen” when he wants that. Even after 33+ years together it sounds odd to me to have to say “ink pen” when all you want is a pen, but without it he might be wanting a pin. One wouldn’t know.

I didn’t know anyone pronounced pin and pen differently until I met my Yankee husband and he teased me!

I can’t remember the last time I asked for a pin, so it’s not an issue. :joy:

1 Like

Hmm, pin/pen isn’t an issue around here either. Very few folks ever want pins.

So why can’t these men go find a pin (or pen) themselves? :wink:

2 Likes