Seen any good movies lately?

We really loved Banshees of Inersherin. The acting was just top-notch and we enjoy slow movies that are light on plot and heavy on mood/atmosphere and relationships.

3 Likes

I liked the scenery but not the plot.

2 Likes

Saw Man Up tonight. English comedy. Very funny.

1 Like

Just saw Honk for Jesus which was more complex and interesting and uncomfortable than I expected.

I thought Ticket to Paradise was perfect mindless fodder for a rainy afternoon, which was when I watched it. The locations were gorgeous, the chemistry between Julia Roberts and George Clooney undeniable. The script was weak, and I couldn’t even cheer the costumes.

I’d say if you’re on a plane and it’s in the queue go for it.

One pinkie up.

My one beef with Ticket to Paradise was the costuming for Julia Roberts. Too many jumpsuits. I get they are fashionable now, but I doubt anyone owns as many as that character did. My expectations were for a fun afternoon with two actors I enjoy and a happy ending - check :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

It’s interesting what we all see in movies. I couldn’t have even told you what Julia Roberts wore in the movie other than heels (who wears heels going into nature?).

But then again, I’m not into fashion at all, so it makes sense for me.

2 Likes

Watched The Lost City (Sandra Bullock 2022) on Amazon. Cute, mindless fun. We both enjoyed it.

7 Likes

That’s another one we, and our kids, really enjoyed too.

3 Likes

I just heard on BBC that Avatar passed the 2 billion dollar mark - and needed to do so to break even. It seems off planet filming where there’s a war going on is rather expensive. :sunglasses:

We added our $ to their pot. It was a good film, better than the first IMO, but hardly would make my Top 10 list. I liked Ticket to Paradise better, most likely because I enjoy comedy a bit. Among fantasy films I liked the first couple of Jurassics better too, and all versions of Jumanji - the original and the video game sequels.

3 Likes

Jurassic World Dominion was good (better than the prior sequels).

Definitely better than some of the prior sequels, but I still liked the first couple the best.

I watched it over the weekend after it won things at the Golden Globes and in general sounded like a character-driven and scenic movie I’d like. Although I also thought it was going to be set in the present. It wasn’t exactly what I expected but I thought the acting was excellent. I did have to cover my eyes 1 or 2 (or 3!) times. I’d agree that it was odd and depressing, but not that one shouldn’t see it.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen “Banshees of Inisherin” yet but with a title like that I would expect it to be about arguing Irishmen which is what it seems like it is about. I would not go in expecting uplifting.

A friend who has spent a lot of time in Ireland for work and pleasure recommended The Guard with Brendan Gleeson, but haven’t had a chance to see it yet. The Guard (2011) - IMDb

1 Like

We thought we’d love this but it was…weird as heck.

1 Like

I can’t think of any Irish movies that I’ve liked that weren’t sad and depressing. That’s their history and their psyche. Except maybe Waking Ned Nevine…

4 Likes

The Quiet Man? Finian’s Rainbow (which I don’t actually care for)?

Think I know at least part of every song from Finian’s Rainbow. And now I can’t get the tunes out of my head!
“Something sweet, something sort of grandish sweeps my soul when thou art near!”
And now I’ll merrily sing the rest of my day!
I’ll save Old Devil Moon for later…

1 Like

I was thinking of movies like Ryan’s Daughter, The Wind That Shakes The Barley, Philomena, The Field.

I didn’t hate it at all. . . but I thought the plot was thin and the laughs were kinda few and far between. Someone else said it’s a great movie to watch on a plane and I agree with that. Perhaps I was expecting more witty banter.

If I were to re-watch a movie with those 2 I think I’d pick Oceans 11.

1 Like