Seen any good movies lately?

I’ve been catching up on the oscar winning movies this week. The Shape of Water was visually interesting. Very artistic. I liked it quite a bit. Three Billboards was really good. I was surprised at actions and responses throughout, and was satisfied with the ending. I LOVE Frances McDormand. Next up, Churchill.

Tried to see Chappquiddick this weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun) but all shows in the 2 closest theaters are totally sold out. Is this only in Massachusetts? Don’t think it would play to packed houses outside NE.

Blockers is well worth it. Very funny as long as one isn’t offended by what some may call crass and crude humor. Gary Cole and Gina Gershon have a most hilarious cameo.

I saw Isle of Dogs last night. I’ve been a Wes Anderson fan since The Royal Tenenbaums. I adored Dogs. There are so many layers (true with all of his films, nothing is to be taken at face value). The stop action animation was incredible, the characters (almost all dogs) were exquisite.

The previews for the Isle of Dogs look very promising. Love stop action animation. Thanks for the review, Justamom.

I saw Three Billboards. It was good up to a point and then it went completely off the rails as far as believeability. I didn’t like the ending at all.

I don’t care for animation at all, saw waaaay too much of that with my kids. However, Isle of Dogs sounds like it’s really good, so I could see that.

A Quiet Place was quite a good show. More of a thriller than horror movie. The premise that the antagonists were blind was refreshing.

@busdriver11 - do make note Isle of Dogs is NOT a children’s movie. Not even a little bit.

Churchill was ok but I imagine Darkest Hour is a lot better. I watched Baby Driver last night. I really liked it! If you like heists, action, and music, you may enjoy it too.

Saw The death of Stalin. It was fantastic. Didn’t know what to expect especially since I’d been told it is humorous. But it doesn’t make fun of the victims. It makes fun of the system, its actors, the way language was used in the Soviet Union. It makes us understand the terror that permeated everything and we never lose sight of the consequences. You also shudder thinking that if the guy who killed prisoners with grenades to warm himself to their fire had lost to the serial rapist/sadistic murderer, we may not have made it through the Cuban missile crisis. Most of all it highlights the complete absurdity of life in a totalitarian regime purported to be heaven on Earth. And despite of/because of all that, it IS funny.

Even better. Where we watch movies, there is wine and no kids, so we won’t even have to deal with people who think it’s a children’s movie.

I saw The Death of Stalin yesterday. A fantastic movie: hilarious, absurd, tragic, dark, brilliant screen play, superb ensemble acting.

Everything that @MYOS1634 said.

A Quiet Place will be the best theater experience you’ve had in a while…complete silence by the audience.
Popcorn eaters waited for film noise to munch…
Otherwise…stillness…

I really like Emily Blunt but is terrified by the concept of the storyline. Don’t think I will be able to stand it @beerme

For those of you who really enjoyed “death of Stalin”, there is an older movie by the same director called “in the loop”, this time targeting its sharp teeth at USA and UK. Satire at its best.

I want to see The Quiet Place, too, but hate scary movies. I might wait until it’s on DVD, so I can cringe behind the blanket or munch on popcorn!

If heightened tension, sustained terror, a gnawing feeling in the pit in your stomach and the feeling of dread for the characters on the screen is NOT your idea of a fun time at the movies then AQP is to be consumed on the privacy of your safe couch with the dog/cat on your lap to give you courage…

I was very scared when watching “get out” at the theater, eye-closing a few times and grabbing hands/low-level screaming at others, though I thoroughly “enjoyed” the movie! Would the “quiet place” be a movie-going experience like that?

I may be the only one I know IRL and on here who didn’t like The Death of Stalin. For me it was a mashup of cheap, obvious humor with the absolute horror of the Stalin era. It didn’t work for me.

Call Me By Your Name was one of last Oscar movies from last year that I haven’t seen yet. I finally watched it yesterday and was sadly disappointing. It’s visually stunning film and Timothée Chalamet’s acting was superb. However, I found most of the characters to be overly intellectual in a rather annoying and not very plausible way. I also felt that Armie Hammer was poorly cast; first because he looked more like a preppy stockbroker in shorts than a graduate student in classics. Second, he looked way too old for a character who is supposed to be in his early 20s. I thought he looked 30+, and it made his relationship with Elio seem very inappropriate.

I also found it odd that in a movie about a same-sex relationship, there was very little about either character’s background or feelings regarding this. We never know if Elio has ever been attracted to a male before, and if he hasn’t, we learn nothing of what he thinks about feeling this way. Same for Oliver. I’m not saying all movies should treat a gay relationship like it causes conflict, and actually I’m usually happy when I see same-sex couples portrayed without it being some big issue. But this film is a coming-of-age, sexual awakening kind of story about a 17-year-old boy and it seems odd to just leave that out.

Anyone else see this? What did you think?