Seen any good movies lately?

Tully coming out 5/4 just in time for Mother’s Day. Looks relatable and therefore promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5D3O4yCmCg

We saw Marshall at home last night (about Thurgood Marshall) and enjoyed it.

I watched Shape of Water this afternoon and really liked it. Do I think it was deserving of best picture? No. But I liked it much more than I thought I would.

A Wrinkle in Time was okay. The actress who plays the protagonist, Meg is the best. She gives the best performance by far. Out of the 3 stars, Reese is probably the most credible and interesting. Glad I saw it, but not sure I would want to go again. It seemed a little forced switching the message from one of championing democracy and freedom and imagining communist rule to “warriors” who stand up for what is right.

We were excited to watch Wrinkle in Time, but the reviews were very mediocre and it’s already gone from our favorite theatre. What a waste, all those talented actors. Sounds like the directing was poor, the plot was confusing and small parts for the big name actors.

Oh well. I don’t know if anything really good has come out lately except for the Black Panther. I’d like to be wowed, not mildly entertained.

Pacific Rim was funnier than than the first. G. del Toro did not direct it to do Shape of Water instead.

Ready Player One had enough trivia to keep the interest of baby boomers. The soundtrack was appealing, too.

Acrimony will be delightful to those wanting a divorce revenge movie.
Very violent.

We saw “two days, one night” on Netflix over the weekend and really liked it. A Belgium movie about a solar panel worker whose fate was at the hands of her co-workers - the boss ask them to vote between receiving 1000 euro bonus by firing her or not having the bonus and having her back (she was on sick leave), and she has the weekend to try to convince enough co-workers to vote again in her favor. Marion Cortillard gave wonderful performance as the struggling blue collar worker and you see the impact of globalization on workers through the various encounters she made over the weekend, as well as the “moral dilemma” all of them have to face. Very simple story but quite gripping. It is surprising that Hollywood has not done a remake of this movie yet

I watched “The Founder” with Michael Keaton. Highly recommended

My nephew is in town and wanted to see Ready Player One (new Spielberg movie). I expected to be in misery for two hours, but I was actually entertained. We saw it in one of those super duper theaters with the state of the art sound system, complete with chair shaking, etc.

I was just on an international business trip, so binge watched several movies. I saw: All the Money in the World, Call Me By Your Name, The Disaster Artist, The Greatest Showman, I, Tonya, The Shape of Water, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and Wonder.

Wonder was the last movie I saw, and it made me tear up. Luckily I wasn’t sitting next to anyone while I cried. The Disaster Artist made me laugh (literally) out loud.

Allison Janney was amazing in I, Tonya.

I enjoyed them all, in different ways!

Would love to see Chappaquiddick out today, but don’t know how they could possibly make a feature length film about a car going over the side of a bridge that takes only several seconds.

Just saw Beirut at a movie screening at the local AMC. It was good, but a bit more ‘shaky cam’ than I could stand. This is when they move the camera around rather than keeping it stationary. It makes me feel queasy, and I can’t watch.

@college query We saw I, Tonya last weekend. Wow, Allison Janney was incredible/disturbing. But kudos to Margot Robbie and Sebastian Stan too. He is so handsome and I forgot it was him sometimes. Hope some of the story exaggerated for the movie. I’ve been an Olympic fan since I was a kid and remember the story. Hope to see all the movies on your list eventually. The other Oscar nominated movies I highly recommend are The Big Sick and Dunkirk.

I second Marshall, @happy1. A very good movie.

Are you being facetious? This wasn’t just a several second event.

It’s not the crime, it’s the cover up. (And how money and power corrupt and how privilege keeps people out of prison. Frankly, I’m surprised a movie about this wasn’t made before now.

Saw The Death of Stalin last night and I thought it was very funny. Especially good if you’ve read the book “A Gentleman in Moscow” already.

I plan to see Chappaquiddick. Some movie critics are saying that it is a very sober re-telling of the facts. I like actor Jason Clarke so it will be interesting to see if he can pull it off in this role. Up to now he’s been second fiddler as an actor. Liked him a lot in the short-lived Fox show about Chicago Police. Kate Mara is talented also but I hear she’s not onscreen very long in Chappaquiddick. And yes, TatinG is right; the movie, the whole story really, is about the cover up and not the crime.

Saw Chappaquiddick.
Every seat taken, audience skewed to senior citizens who obviously had their own recollection of the event.
Lots of audible scoffing, verbal over reactions to the screen, and hissing.
Excellent cast.
If you plan to see this weekend, expect a crowd…get to your multiplex earlier than you would normally…