Seen any good movies lately?

@conmama, its intense but not overly scary, unfortunately pretty violent though which I can always do without the vivid pictures. If you watched Sixth Sense, its comparable.

@nepatsgirl, Thanks! I’m assuming you mean intense like being on edge if it’s comparable to The Sixth Sense. I’ll guess I’ll watch and can always turn it off if I can’t get through it.

We saw Vice on Xmas Day, Really liked it. Same type of story telling as in The Big Short. Christian Bale was excellent as Cheney.

Next on my list is Green Book (my mom raved about it) and On the Basis of Sex.

"Horror movies are definitely not my genre. "

Same here but I watched and really enjoyed The Haunting of Hill House.

My tolerance of horror movies is very low, Get Out is about the threadshold that I could watch (with heart in my throat!) and enjoy.

Loved seeing Mary Poppins Returns today.

We saw both “Roma” and “BlacKkKlansman” this week, and we thought both were excellent movies. The latter, which was about an African American cop and a Jewish cop who worked together to infiltrate the Klan, led to some interesting conversations in our house:

-how police were portrayed in the movie, and whether most viewers would agree with the protagonist’s view or the girlfriend’s opposing view on whether police/ institutions should be trusted and changed from within or opposed from outside,
-whether the movie’s juxtaposition of people chanting “white power” and people chanting “black power” was meant to contrast the two movements or to draw a similarity or both,
-the historic relationship between blacks and Jews, and how these seemingly natural allies sometimes have worked together and sometimes have not,
-how the anti-Semitic comments made by the klansmen in the movie almost exactly echo comments made by some students who consider themselves liberals on liberal college campuses,
-the views expressed by klansmen and how these are now echoed by certain politicians in positions of power nowadays,
-whether society has progressed at all since the 1970’s or whether the same attitudes and problems are equally prevalent today,
-whether societal/ cultural changes or laws play a more important role in driving changes that make life better for members of minority groups.

If you spend an hour after a movie discussing the movie, it’s a good movie!

@kalons I watched Hereditary tonight and I’m now scarred for life. Just a whole bunch of whoa. Geez.

They Shall Not Grow Old is truly remarkable, particularly for anyone interested in WW1. It was sold out in our area with the exception of one afternoon show, and that was so packed that we had to sit in the front row and get a stiff neck.

They have announced two new dates, one in January, one in February, and I advise buying tickets online well in advance and getting there early if there is open seating.

Just got around to seeing Bohemian Rhapsody. I enjoyed it even though it wasn’t factually accurate. Rami not performing any of the vocals will keep him out of Oscar contention. While many mention the resemblance of him to Mercury, I couldn’t get over how much Brian May’s actor was spot on. I felt chills at times watching it, but that was really just from Freddie Mercury’s vocals. It is a movie that you could watch multiple times.

@conmama. I also get scared at certain movies. Won’t watch Saw movies and haven’t seen any Conjuring. You mentioned one of my favorites, Sixth Sense, scary then but loved it! We also watched and jumped through The Haunting Of Hill House last month! That said, we watched Bird Box tonight (even though I wrote above I wasn’t excited to see it). Scary, intense, suspenseful, different. I feel tense when kids in peril (and they are adorable). Worth watching imho and love Sandra Bullock.

@3sonsmom…thanks for the detail. I think I’ll give it a try!

Bird Box on Netflix.

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch on Netflix. It’s an interactive movie with five different endings (Netflix’s official statement).
Our family is still in the loop trying to get other Easter Eggs. Fun but a bit tedious to watch same scenes over; could drive one crazy as the main character is crazy =P~

Maybe that’s netflix’s point lol

so DO NOT see holmes and watson - we went without hearing any reviews, but walked out. too bad, i like will ferrel. :-L

bird box reminded me of “a quiet place” - both were good.

@bgbg4us DH and DS went to Holmes and Watson an hour ago just because it has 0% rotten tomato rating and they think it would be fun to watch a really really bad movie for a change. I hope they are walking out as we speak! Lol and smh!

Saw Bird Box and thought it was just so so. I am looking forward to seeing The Mule. Gran Torino was a great movie, hopefully The Mule is in the same category.

We saw They Shall Not Grow Old. It was very sobering. then next night Mary Poppins Returns. Opposite ends of the spectrum both excellent.

@CALSmom - My son watched that Black Mirror alternate-endings episode with his friends last night and has been talking about it all morning! Sounds fun.

Watched the Bird Box. I thought it was more creepy than scary and I was entertained.