Seen any good movies lately?

FREE SOLO - I saw it in a movie theater. National Geographic is distributor, I think.

Thanks @anxiousmom!!

Free Solo will be playing in IMAX nationwide for one week only starting Jan 11th - I’m waiting for that.

Saw “Escape Room” today. I really enjoyed it!

I saw Green Book yesterday and enjoyed it very much.

Also, FYI the Peter Jackson WWI movie They Shall Not Grow Old will be screened again on January 21st. I am buying tickets now as the last screenings sold out.

H and I saw “On the Basis of Sex” (focused on a gender equity appeals case handled by Ruth Bader Ginsburg and her husband Martin Ginsburg) today, and we both thought it was excellent. What an amazing woman – not only brilliant, but enormously hard-working and dedicated. Plus they had two kids. Husband was highly supportive of her career, seems to have realized she was the greater talent.

We had seen, just recently, the documentary “RBG” at home on DVD, so are on a Ginsburg kick. Whatever your politics, I thought both these movies were quite worthwhile and am glad for RBG that she is seeing such appreciation at this point in her life and career. Truly a special lady IMO.

Saw Vice. Christian Bale excellent. Movie? not so much.

Saw Beale Street. Excellent acting by many. It did move verryyy slowwwlllyyyy.

Another thumbs up for Leave No Trace (saw it on Amazon streaming). I thought it was beautifully acted, gave H and I a lot to talk and think about, and has stayed with me for days.
I was a bit pleased to see that A Star is Born tanked at the Golden Globes, since I thought it was massively overrated.

Green Book was good/okay. I enjoyed it, but nothing very surprising about the story or topic.

Just saw the documentary Free Solo at IMAX theater (the guy who free climbs without ropes El Capitan in Yosemite). It was intense and interesting to get into the psyche of the climber.

I saw On the Basis of Sex yesterday. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I enjoyed the RBG documentary which was fabulous.

@nukesmom

I want to see Free Solo, but have not been able to get to the IMAX and catch a show. I hope I can see it before it’s gone!

Free Solo is basically Jackass: Yosemite. Two experienced climbers died last summer attempting to speed climb El Capitan. Evel Knievel, in his day, was more responsible than Alex Honnold.

Where can I find RBG?

I see it differently, as the incredible athletic achievement that it is. It required precise route planning, down to the step, which took significant time, preparation, and effort. It also required a high level of climbing skill. He was not speed climbing.

I am sure Evel Knievel planned his stunts, but most did not require nearly as much skill as what Alex Honnold accomplished. With all of that said, I expect Honnold will [sadly] die climbing one day.

RBG is available to stream on Amazon, @conmama. It’s a great recap of RBG’s life, one of the best parts being her love story with Marty. What a wonderful marriage!

And for readers, the book (Notorious RBG) is even better!

@2VU0609 , thanks. I don’t get Amazon. Bummer.

Would using ropes and pitons have changed the “athleticism”? Actually, not having to carry safety equipment makes rock-climbing less athletic. What it does change is it makes an, otherwise, safe sport into something reckless. The movie then takes that recklessness and makes it voyeuristic.

@conmama, you don’t have to have Amazon Prime or a Fire Stick to rent a movie through their site. You can rent it and stream it on a tablet or computer.