Self-Contained Urban Campuses

Hello! I’m looking for colleges/universities with a self-contained urban campus. This means that the college is located in a city but still maintains its own campus.

For instance, schools like Northeastern U, Boston U, Boston College, and Tufts. I have visited these schools with my high school and really enjoyed these types of campuses.

Can anyone recommend other colleges/universities with the same setting?

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Pitt
U of Minnesota
Occidental
U of Washington- Seattle

3 Likes

You might want to be more specific about what you’re looking for. BC is in Newton, Tufts is in Medford. Neither is urban. And neither BU nor NEU has what I’d call a self-contained campus.

My idea of a self-contained urban campus is like Columbia or Barnard

11 Likes

Case Western Reserve University (although there is a 4-lane road that cuts through the campus).

3 Likes

Fordham
Tulane
Loyola New Orleans

4 Likes

I don’t think BU as a self contained campus (which my daughter loves), Temple does, Fordham.

6 Likes

There are so many, are you open to all geographies? Any city size? Any school size?

Here are a few: U Chicago, Penn, American U, Fordham, Emory, USC, Georgetown, Brown, Providence College, CMU, Columbia, Barnard, Yale, Trinity College, Drexel, UVM, Macalester.

8 Likes

American University also.

Johns Hopkins

Penn
Maybe Wash U?

Original poster needs to be a clearer about what “urban” means as well as what “self-contained” means. I’ve been to BC, and Newton/Chestnut Hill is much closer to a suburban environment rather than an urban environment. And I’ve been to BU, where it’s campus felt mainly like a series of very large buildings stretching along Commonwealth Avenue, with a tiny bit of green space behind Marsh Chapel and alongside the river.

When I think of classic “self-contained” urban campuses, I think of Columbia U, University of Southern California, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UT-Austin – places that are squarely located in big cities but with a distinct, well-defined central campus.

8 Likes

I think USC is a perfect example. Cal, not so much. The Berkeley campus is very amoebic, having digested city properties over the years. It’s not immediately clear what’s campus and what isn’t.

3 Likes

Many of the Jesuit schools. These come in all different levels of selectivity. Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities--Jesuit Colleges and Universities

4 Likes

Macalester.

Small but very traditional leafy green (or snow-covered) campus. Nice, cute neighborhood that is well-connected geographically and by transit to the urban core of the Twin Cities.

5 Likes

Agreed! And Macalester is in a consortium with other LACs in Minneapolis/St. Paul that each have their own campuses: St. Thomas, St. Kates, Hamline, Augsburg. Students can take classes at any of the other schools. St. Thomas is somewhat bigger than the rest, has D1 sports, and has an especially nice campus.

1 Like

College of Charleston.

It’s a block off downtown.

I think some you mention don’t describe what you say you are looking for.

And some schools, like an American, are in the city but not really in the city. In this case it’s a 15 minute walk to a train and then a ride.

BC and Tufts from your first sentence don’t meet your description either.

VCU might be another to look at.

4 Likes

University of Richmond

1 Like

I second @parent365 on the BC/BU dichotomy. FWIW I’ve been describing Macalester’s setting as more BC than BU… the overall feel of the neighborhood is definitely (busy) suburban, even if it’s located within the boundaries of a good-sized city.

On a different note: Trinity College has a completely self-contained 100-acre campus right in the middle of Hartford, CT. Holy Cross (Worcester, MA), MIT and Harvard (Cambridge, MA), and the University of Miami would also fit your categorical description.

1 Like

Glad you mentioned MIT and Harvard. There’s also Vanderbilt.

I think you can get any on most any college finder/search engine and use “urban” as your city size criterion. You should get tons of them, I would think.

2 Likes

VCU isn’t self contained imo - it blends with the city (more like a BU except not centralized around a street)

1 Like