Sell me on Virginia Tech

We live in Northern Virginia and our daughter is very interested in science (not necessarily engineering) as well as English/liberal arts (perhaps as a minor). She likes to be in small classes rather than large, so Virginia Tech wasn’t really on our radar screen. However, the more people I meet from there say the absolutely love it.

My worry is that she will get lost at such a large university. She’s not into football or the Greek/party scene. But I do know that students in a certain major tend to form their own subgroups and make a large university feel small.

Would this be the case at Tech? We’re starting to look at colleges and was wondering if a trip to Blacksburg would be worth it.

Thanks in advance.

It’s absolutely worth the visit, especially since you live in NOVA. In-state tuition is excellent. Without knowing your D’s major at this point, the school has high standing in many engineering and science areas. VT is a mid-to-large public and has some large classes for undergrads, but you are correct, many students (as in any large school) will form their own communities, usually based on their major or extracurricular activities (marching band, drama, etc). VT also has a selective Honors College that places honor students together in smaller groups, with an even smaller group admitted to the two honors dorms, where many honor students choose to live for their entire University career.

VT’s students have a great deal of spirit and pride. But only your daughter will know if she thinks it would be a fit for her. Include it your D’s college visits as she heads down south.

If you have a Math/Science student, highly suggest you check out the VT Physics program. Physics is a smaller program, they want to know the kids, they have smaller classes and day one they have the students work in groups so she will quickly get to know other Physics classmates.

The current Director of the Physics Program Diane Walker Green, is a wonderful woman, You need to meet and speak with her and go visit the Day In A Life Of a Physics student program. Ms. Green is the administrator, your friend, your mother and the drill instructor and the hard nosed enforcer all wrapped up in one package. She wants to make sure everyone has everything they need to succeed in the program. You do not find people committed to a program like her.

There are lot of Minors within the Physics Major. Lots of options.

See this link below, contact or call and visit, your student needs to see for themselves, they will know very quickly if they think they will fit in.

http://www.phys.vt.edu/students/undergrads.shtml

While VT is big University, I have seen others I would not want to spend time at, UMD, George Mason, Michigan and many other state schools. VT has a simplicity and ease to the vibe and is easy to navigate. A very unusual mix.

My student is waiting to hear from VT for Physics, currently the #1 choice has been accepted to #2 and #3 choice, but VT is #1 for many reasons.

Good luck.

http://www.phys.vt.edu/students/day-in-physics-student.shtml

Two family members absolutely LOVE Virginia Tech, like nobody’s business!

And speaking of business, both were/are in the Pamplin School of Business.

One family member was not greek, and still had a great time. Younger family member is greek, but also involved with CRU, etc.

VT is a very special place and if we had been in-state that is probably where our son would be! It worked out fine because he is at UF which is equally wonderful, just in its own way.

Best wishes - go visit!!!

PS: VT has wonderful food!

You should look at VT and other VA schools that are also strong in science, say, UVA, URichmond and W&M as well as some out of state schools with strong science programs such as Wake Forest, Davidson, UMCP, etc. Once she visits different size, location, etc that will help her decide what type of school she would do best in. For what it’s worth, we were very impressed with the science programmes at Wake Forest. Good luck.

Va. Tech was initially not on my son’s radar, but after he did some research and we visited, it jumped to No. 2. Absolutely loves the place. Aside from the campus - and the food, oh my God the food, on campus and off - it was Va. Tech’s science and math programs/reputation that put it over the top. Hoping we hear from it on the Feb. 20 notification date and don’t have to wait until the March date.

" it jumped to No. 2." ?

What is #1?

College is a time for a student to get out of their comfort zone and become independent.
Don’t be so protective. Let her find her way. Definitely explore Virginia tech. No one needs to sell Virginia tech because most students that go visit the campus absolutely love it. Many kids from Northern VA attend VT.
They have amazing opportunities for research and it’s a great place to learn and get an amazing four year college experience. College is time to try out new things and explore. I think that is one of the challenges parents face when its time to explore colleges. At some point we need to let go and let them focus on learning and developing life skills.

@londondad - That doesn’t matter, for the sake of this discussion. What matters is that Va. Tech leapfrogged a lot of good schools he’d been considering.

@bsangs Sure it is, as we are all really curious now!

“What matters is that Va. Tech leapfrogged a lot of good schools he’d been considering.”

This is kind of funny, VT leapfrogged a lot of “good” schools!!!

VT is a good school, it is a great school, the above statement kind of makes it sound like it is not a good school?

Yea, the Food. Did anyone mention the Food. Its about the Food. I have been there, seen the Food, eaten the Food.

Saw the live Lobster that you can order on the meal plan, Eaten as the Japanese Steakhouse place, seen the Brazilian place. The Bakery is out of control. While Penn State may have The Creamery, Tech’s Food Service is OUT OF SIGHT. Crazy kids will miss the place when the graduate.

Anyone that does not rate this place #1 for food, well I would like to see what is #1.

What happens is with the great food, great school spirit that VT has some of the happiest students on a large campus in the country, typically in the top 10 of most surveys.

“…VT has some of the happiest students on a large campus in the country, typically in the top 10 of most surveys.”

Wow, so I actually searched that up on google to see if that was true, and indeed it was! I knew that VT has a lot of spirit, but I didn’t know it had the happiest students there.

Ranked #2: http://www.fastweb.com/college-search/articles/top-10-happiest-colleges-in-the-country
Ranked #7: https://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings?rankings=happiest-students

Virginia Tech also within the top 5 ranks of having the best campus food. Didn’t know VT was this great!!

“No one needs to sell (you) on Virginia Tech.” Agree. It’s a great school but go visit and decide for yourself. As a Virginia resident, Virginia public schools are certainly worth looking at.

Virginia residents are blessed with good instate options.
Here are tons of videos to learn about Virginia tech.
https://www.youtube.com/user/VirginiaTech

@comtech - You misunderstand. Va. Tech IS a great school. However, when my son began his college search process, it wasn’t a school he’d even thought about. He had his short list and Va. Tech wasn’t on it. Then, through research and his visit, he became enamored with the place and it jumped ahead of some other equally good /great schools. That’s all I was saying.

@londondad - OK, fine, you win. Michigan is his No. 1. But as a huge Notre Dame fan - and subway alumni - for my entire life, that just pains me to say. :slight_smile:

Thanks. UM is a great school so that makes sense.

@bsangs, Good luck with Michigan and your decision. Since you don’t appear to be instate for our Virginia schools (as the OP is), your issues are different. If I had to pay more for Michigan OOS, for example, over UVa, W & M, or Virginia Tech instate, I doubt I would do it (unless I was very wealthy and my kid really did not like any of these instate schools, or my child got money from Michigan to bring down the cost, ).

@sevmom - Hey, I’m just glad you all have such great public institutions of higher learning in your states. It’s slim pickings in NJ. And thanks for the good wishes. I just want it to be over. Though the second my son is done, we jump right back into the pool with my daughter, who’s looking at very different schools (smaller, liberal arts) than our boy.