Short term housing through CALS

<p>Does anyone have any experience with short-term housing provided by the school of agriculture? It is located in Jurns Hall and is located across from Adams and Schlichter. My options right now (since I am 99% percent sure I wont get an offer for normal campus dorms) are to accept an offer to live in short-term housing on the lakeshore part of campus, or sign and expensive lease at Lucky, which are the two options I have narrowed it down to. By taking the offer in short term housing I can eat at a discounted rate at the UW dining centers and I can transfer to a new dorm for Spring Semester. If I live in Lucky and want to switch to a new dorm at the semester, I will have to find a co-signer to take over my lease for that semester which I am kind of skeptical about. I like Lucky since it is close to Grainger and Vilas, where I presume most of my classes will be, but Jurns Halls is half a mile from these buildings, so its a hard decision for me. If anyone has any advice for me on this topic or has any previous experience with the short term housing or has heard anything about it, I would really like to hear your comments on it.</p>

<p>I have a friend whose son was in the same position and who lived in Jorns. He loved it. That’s a nice location, close to the lake and the dining commons. I’d go for it and not screw around with the private dorm lease issue. If you have the ability to stay in Jorns you may not even want to transfer to another dorm at the semester. </p>

<p>The walk from there to Vilas and Grainger really isn’t bad at all – 15 minutes, maybe. Just head down Babcock to University and you won’t even need to climb over Bascom Hill. Or you could take the campus bus that runs nearby if you prefer. But everyone on campus gets used to walking.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>MilwDad, thanks for the information. Now that I have looked over everything I have kicked lucky out of the mix and started to look more into Regent apartments. So my decision is between the housing in Jorns or Regent. At Regent I could still sign a 4 semester lease and try to move into the dorms for spring semester, so at this point, both are quality options. My concern about Jorns is that I dont fit the typical generlization that comes with the lakeshore side of campus (quiet, more reserved, not into partying) so I am kind of skeptical about it in that nature. Any more input on either regents or short term housing would be appreciated.</p>

<p>While there is some truth to those generalizations, remember that freshmen are assigned to dorms somewhat randomly. You’ll find all types in most dorms. Good luck.</p>

<p>Jorns is located near Holt Commons, between Slichter and Cole- just as close as the other Lakeshore dorms to things. Humphrey and Jorns are the two Ag school dorms set among the Res Halls dorms to accomodate Ag School short course students and have been used by Res Halls for temorary housing forever. The buildings are similar to the dorms near them, perhaps Kronshage vintage and will be fine. If you want Res Halls - go for it, you will be a part of them. At the beginning of the semester you will find students in temporary housing until no shows and drop outs free up space. You will be a part of Res Halls life and they will help you move to your permanent dorm. Have no worries/concerns.</p>

<p>The Lakeshore is a nice residential area of campus.</p>

<p>Hey, I just finished up my second year in Kronshage - I love, love, love Lakeshore. It’s a nice place to live. Jorns is steps from the lake and pretty much as close to Frank’s as you’re going to get. As for proximity to classes, that isn’t going to be a big deal for you as a freshmen. Sure, it’s nice to be close by, but living in the Lakeshore area expands your domain a bit, so to speak. There’s a bus stop for route 80 about 2 minutes (without exaggeration) from Jorns - hop on that, and you will be at the light outside of Grainger in less than 10 minutes. Are you referring to the Regent building near Camp Randall? You’re not going to find a ton of fellow freshmen there - for socialization purposes and settling into dorm life (which you’d be delaying by a semester), I’d stick with Jorns. The stigmas about Lakeshore people aren’t universal. You won’t regret going with Res Halls, even with a semester of temporary. It’s the way to go :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>He’s totally exaggerating. It’s more like 30 seconds. :P</p>

<p>Although the 15 minutes between most class periods, the 80 is packed despite coming every 6 minutes, and the ride the Grainger can easily be 15-20 minutes, not 10. Otherwise, yeah, 10 is accurate, but right before and when classes are done, it’s not quite as quick to take the bus. It’s still a great option, though.</p>

<p>Why do assume most of your classes will be in Grainger? I know you’re a transfer, but this may not be the case. If you’re not sure, it’s pretty easy to find out. Make a schedule of classes you want to take this upcoming semester using the wishlist in the student center. You’ll probably come to find not many of your classes are going to be in the buildings you think they will. I don’t recommend picking a location solely on where you think your classes might be, since it can change from semester to semester, and just because you’re looking at business or whatever, that doesn’t necessarily mean most or all of your classes will be in Grainger. </p>

<p>Honestly, I’d go for short term. Sounds like a nice deal, and lakeshore is a great area.</p>

<p>I’m going to add since I just saw your other thread.</p>

<p>You’re not even enrolled in the School of Business yet, so even if you decide to apply, your classes this semester and next will more than likely not be in Grainger. At least, not the majority of them, and even if you go the Communications route, your classes won’t be in Vilas.</p>

<p>So I just want to reinforce the point: Don’t let where you think your classes will be effect where you decide to live, since your classes probably aren’t going to be there.</p>