Should I attend CC or a bad 4 year college?

I got into each of my top colleges, but I cannot attend a single one. Why? I received little to no aid at every top institution I was accepted into (SLU, American, etc…) I am unable to afford it and I only have two options now. A 4 year institution with a low ranking (Trinity Washington Uni/Marymount Uni) or a CC(Montgomery College).

Making a choice is difficult because I will be transferring from either college I attend. I might have a leg up if I attend a CC since the one in my state has an articulation agreement with some four-year universities to make transferring pretty easy. I do not know what to do and would appreciate some advice.

1 Like

When you filled out the Net Price Calculators, on each of your college websites, prior to applying, what did those say? Do you have a print-out of the aid and costs that they calculated for you? You can use that to contact the FA offices and ask them what happened.

This is a Pandemic year and the universities lost millions of dollars without students on campus. A lot of them are out of monies.

Pick the most affordable option, OR, take a gap year, and reapply next year to places that will provide aid per your stats and their NPC’s. A number of students work for a year and save up money, without taking ANY coursework in that year. (If you take coursework, you will no longer be considered a freshman at most colleges and universities and wont get Freshman aid.) Then they apply to a new list of colleges that offer aid.

Also, as a future transfer student, financial aid dollars are extremely limited so you shouldn’t expect any funding. The best aid goes to Freshman candidates.
Why is the college “BAD”? I don’t know of any bad colleges, with the exception of “for-profit” colleges.

4 Likes

I’m still a high school senior, so take my word with a grain of salt. If the 4 year college is around the same price as the CC, I would suggest take the four year college. You can work really really hard, and at the end of the day, you’ll have a BS/BA. Some 4 years also offer combined masters/doctorate programs.

Also, I’ve heard many horror stories about CC credits not transferring over. If it’s an affordable option, the four year college (I think) might set you better on your path to becoming whatever profession you want to be. After the first year at the 4-year, you can always apply out and transfer. Those credits (most likely) would be transferred to whatever other school you decide to go to. CC doesn’t always apply the same especially if you cross state/county lines.

Again, I’m just a high school senior, but from what I’ve heard I’m just passing it on to you (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong). I’m in a similar predicament here. But, if I want to go to med school for instance, they don’t accept CC credits, so for me at least, those two years would be a waste of money and time.

Hope you find the best option for you!! :slight_smile:

Are you a US citizen or permanent resident? In which state do you reside? What do you want to study? What are your career goals? What financial resources do you have, specifically, meaning how much (if any) money can you expect towards college from your family?

You can get through an associate’s degree with automatic transfer to possibly even your flagship state U, inexpensively and quickly. Combine your AP credits with selected free CLEP exams (use modernstates.org to prepare - it even gives you a free voucher for the exam).

Between modernstates.org and whatever AP credits you have, plus a heavy load at the community college (classes there tend to be very easy), you could be done in 4 terms - summer, fall, spring, summer - or even less, and be at your flagship state U a year from September as a junior, with only two years left, and be done in 3 years.

3 Likes

Check to see where graduates in the major you like from the 4 year have gone. If you like similar places, go there. It’s not a bad college if it can get you where you want to go at a price you can afford.

If you don’t like where recent graduates have gone, pick between taking a Gap Year to work and save money as @aunt_bea mentioned or start at the CC. Before starting at the CC, talk with a counselor there to be sure the major/path you want is doable. Most are, but some aren’t and CC’s vary so few can give you specific advice from here. That’s why CC’s have college counselors.

1 Like

I am considered an international student due to my US status. I want to study international affairs/studies. My ultimate dream is to be a diplomat, but that is merely a dream, I love most jobs that are available with the IA major. My family cannot contribute any money to my college education. I don’t know if that changes anything but I wanted to provide some context for my situation.

It looks as if you are in Maryland. You go to Montgomery and then to U of Maryland College Park. Look into the program and see how you can get through it quickly, and see how much, if any, AP/IB or CLEP you can use.

Did you apply to College Park and get rejected? You can still get in there as a transfer after a year at Montgomery.

Did you apply to any of the other U Md campuses? Other than College Park, you might still be able to apply, get accepted for September, and might get merit aid. Call them.

Would ASU be an appropriate option for you? Their honors college has a great reputation, and they offer excellent out of state merit scholarships. Their deadline is May 1, I think, although I don’t know if the honors college deadline was earlier. I think that U Alabama is still accepting applications, too. Look into less selective flagship state U’s from other states. They may offer you honors and merit aid.

There will be, right after May 1st, a list of schools still open for applications, some of which offer financial and merit aid, on the NACAC website.

1 Like

I live in DC not Maryland but I appreciate your answer.

Not Dreamer status? Does this mean that you don’t qualify for in-state tuition anywhere, not even in the state where you live, which I believe is Maryland?

Yep, no dreamer status. I am working on getting a citizenship and am sure I will have it in 2 years. By the time I transfer because of that I will likely receive much more aid.

This article is out of date, but you should be able to find more recent info.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2019-02-19/2-tuition-options-international-students-should-know-about

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/slideshows/15-most-affordable-colleges-for-international-students

Will you be allowed to pay only in-county resident tuition? Or would you be subject to the non-resident tuition, which is almost three times as much?

Transfers receive minimal aid.

Unless you have attended Trinity Washington or have friends who have attended there, you can’t rate the university as “bad”. That description does not appear to have merit. Disparaging a school because you didn’t get into the top universities (where hundreds of thousands of students apply), shows a lack of character.
It has a history as a HBCU and has a large population of AA and a diverse student body.
I think you would be lucky to go there and would probably have a better chance at internships and employment.

1 Like

Those are different institutions. Trinity College is not Trinity Washington University. Many people confuse them, but they are not related. I am not disparaging the school, I did get into the top institutions. Did you read my post? I am unable to afford them since they gave me no aid. Trinity Washington is a poor school for my major and career goals. That is why I want to transfer.

1 Like

Thank you for your help. I would not be able to afford in-state tuition. I will read the article. Thank you for the resources, I appreciate the advice.

You mentioned Trinity Washington University in your first post.
I just googled Trinity Washington University:

It appears to have been a Historically Black College/University.

I didn’t originally google Trinity College in Hartford Connecticut.

Trinity Washington has never been an HBCU. I do not know where you got that info. I said you confused them because you linked an article related to Trinity College, a different institution.

Before accusing me of lacking in character read my post. I did get in. I am not disparaging the school, I am simply trying to be part of a school that will provide me with more job opportunities. Making negative assumptions about a person based on incorrect information shows a lack of character. There was no need to say that, that was unnecessary. I hope you can learn to think before you write a comment on an individual’s character without knowing them or their circumstances.

Maybe I am lacking information but I just don’t believe we can disparage a school by labeling it “bad” without evidence; it a very public forum.
It’s unfair to the university and its current students.

Were there charges filed against the school?
Was there criminal hazing there?
Have students died from criminal activity?
Do they overcharge students without preparing the students for future careers?
Is there documented harassment?
What do you classify as bad?
I indicated that you didn’t get into the top schools and hence, labeled the one that you did get into as “bad”. That’s unfair.
I’m sorry that you are upset that you don’t have the funds to attend the schools you wanted to attend, but you can’t use that as an excuse to call any university a “bad” school without documented evidence. It’s slander.

2 Likes

Slander? It is a bad fit for me, that is why I label it as bad. It has great nursing and political programs, but when it comes to what I want to major in it is not as good. It was not my intent to slander the institution. This conversation is uneccesary considering that I have visited the school, and do not like it.

Next time please consider what you are saying about a person and how that might impact them. I asked for advice on what I should do on this public forum becuase of lack of resources due to my income, not a critique on my character. I am simply trying to get my family out of poverty and I know (you can read articles about it) that the higher ranked the institution the more it helps with social mobility.
I do not know why you feel the need to get so offended me by me calling the school bad. It is my opinion and as you say this is a public forum, and I am allowed to express it. I am not going to tolerate a stranger speaking about my character when they do not know me.

3 Likes