Should I Check the Box?

Hi,
I recently was told to investigate my heritage (not racially, I am definitely white, but ethnically) and discovered I am around 1/12 of Spanish origin (through a DNA test). Other people on this discussion said that you should check based on how you identify, but it is tough because I am the only one in my family who embraces Latin culture, and I don’t want to check the box if I am too little of Spanish descent. Any thoughts or feedback?

The standard I have seen most frequently is used by the College Board for NHRP. To qualify has a National Hispanic Scholar you must demonstrate that you are at least 1/4 Hispanic…you can find their definition on the NHRP website. It is demonstrated by a high school admistrator/counselor signature attestingthat you are hispanic.
After that, consider if a college admissions officer asked you to explain your Hispanic heritage. How would you feel about explaing 1/12?

Thank you so much for clarifying! Definitely didn’t understand it was defined as 1/4… answered my question